Witcher Schools - Fan Edition

+
"Is good! Is not Kvas, but is still good!" So saying the drunkard raised the goblet in his trembling hands and drained it dry, leaving his long mustaches wet with drool and wine and his hands a mite steadier.

Bertram smiled and pushed the bottle of twenty year old Toussaint Red over to the other side of the table, what a waste to feed this exquisite vintage to such an uncouth individual, still it was this or the rack and Bertram had no liking for violence. The big drunkard smiled, a pathetic gratefulness in his eyes and filled his goblet ever so slowly and precisely.

Bertram took the time to look him over with a critical eye, he had once been a big man, indeed his shoulders were still wide and his clothes hung loose on his frame. A warrior no doubt, born and raised in heavy mail with a sword in his hands before his prick, yes there were the telltale scars of duelling on his forearms. His clothes now billowing about his frame, encrusted with filth, spilt food and drink, wer of a good cut and sturdy wool. Faded garish colours still glinted through the ground in dirt, only a rich man could afford such dyes, so possibly the drunkard was telling the truth and he was an exiled nobleman from far Borea, the legendary land beyond the worlds end.

Bertram leaned forward letting his smile warm the room and a fat gold coin fall from his fingers. "There is more to come friend, a warm room, nourishing meals and all the wine you can drink. Simply tell me a tale of your homeland."

"Borea, what you wish know?" The warrior asked, knuckling his mustaches dry and then licking the wine from his filthy fingers.

"Witcher's my friend, the monster slayers of your land, tell me of them?"

"Witcher's not kill monsters in Borea!"

"What!" Bertram asked leanng further forward, his elbows on the table and chin in his hands.

"Witcher's not kill monsters. Monsters stay in Wald and not bother anyone, Witcher's of Borea slay dead that walk, that is curse that stalks our land and the Raven's are the only effective cure."

"The Raven's?"

"Yes Witcher's bear medallion of Raven, they haunt the battlefield and make sure all rest as they should, always dress in black with long cloaks and brimmed hats. You have problem with dead rising then the Raven's will come and deal with it for a purse of silver, but many are loathe to call them, they have a reputation as stormcrows, bringers of doom and trouble and it is said they steal orphans from the battlefield. Still if you want the dead to sleep, then the Raven's must come."

"What do they look like?"

"Look like men." He shrugged and drank some more, "But very ugly men. They all tall and very pale, with long lank black hair and they move too quick, they seem to skip and jerk as if they're slipping past your eyes." He leaned forward and grinned. "It as if you drunk all time watching them."

The scholar chuckled and noted this down in his mind, quicker than the other schools of the Witcher?

"And you should see them fight! Is terrifying, they pull out their sabres and wish, swish, splat, limbs go flying in all directions. Anybody enter that steel web dies, for it is said that their swords are blessed by the Lord of the Mound and are instruments holy to death. Old mothers say that that is a part of their training, becoming acolytes of the Death God. They certainly look half dead!"

"They are students of a religious doctrine?"

"More pursue than study I think, but they always go to the Mounds and the Deathman to pray before embarking on their tasks, I have seen this."

"Do they...do they possess any tricks, strange trinkets or powers like a Sorceror might use?"

"Oh yes! Big bangs, choking fumes, burning waters that eat steel and cold blue fire and ice that they can call forth from their hands at any time. I have seen one summon a shield of ice that repelled the blows of his attackers, throw the dead into their graves with a gesture and burning a man to blackened ash with their blue flame!" He leaned forward. "The old wives say that they can steal truth from your tongue!"

Bertram nodded, signs and alchemical items, though of a suitable wintry theme for the tundra of Borea. "So my friend if I might ask, why is Borea so beset by the Undead?"

The warrior stopped his drinking, letting the wine spill over his hands and mustaches while his eyes grew small and angry. Slamming down his goblet he leaned forward, his once comically befuddled features growing hard and fierce. "I tell you why, is because of damn Konung! He grow old and mad and listen to Elves, he impale his family when they try to stop him and he eat them. He close gates of Holmgard and when they are opened the dead pour forth to bedevil us, for two centuries we of the Seven Cities have fought them. Is a last gift of the Elves, even as we burn them they laugh and tell us they will see us on other side of death. Pointy eared bastards!"

Bertram sat back astounded, "The Elves tricked your...konung into undeath?"

"Yes bastard sit on his throne still, cackling and calling up the dead to serve him." The warrior seized his goblet and emptied it, before pointing his finger at the scholar. "The Raven's barely contain the curse that wracks Borea, its champions and knights all fled, haunted by dreams of their wives and children crawling from the dark earth."

With a snarl the drunkard swept bottle and goblet from the table, seizing Bertram by the collar he shoved his face into the scholars, his fetid breath gaging the gentleman and his bloodshot eyes spitting danger. "We condemned to death also, death of coward and drunk, we are failure whose great grandfather destroyed our nation and our blood is cursed!"

With a sob the drunkard let the scholar drop and lurched for the inn door, pushing through the crowds and roaring obscenities. Bertram smoothed his collar, regained his seat and waved over the servants to clear the table. Every tale of the Witcher's, every rumour was wrapped in tragedy and despair, one could almost believe the killers were doomed.

Hundred redpoints and two mugs of kvas for this gentleman.

Last edited:
Really good reads, Blothulfur. This makes me wonder, has there ever been a forum RP thread of the sorts? Or perhaps a thread to interlink your own fan-made stories? Or is there too little interest in that?

I tried to start one up in community, "Icewind Dale Roleplay," went down like a lead zeppelin. Maybe a Witcher themed one would work, but i'm just not sure there's the interest or audience.

We tried some "roleplay" with King Hochmeister on the witcher chat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those who weren't there wont understand xD.

Last edited:
He watches me with eyes of utter black, never blinking, and a face so calm and cold as to resemble a statue. He is pale and thin, almost malnourished, and the darkness of his lank hair and tattered cloak make his countenance all the more shocking. In all truth this Witcher of the Raven school looks as dead as the opponents he fights. No emotion or even interest flickers across his face as he answers my questions, but he is courteous and attentive, he might even be enthusiastic but I cannot tell. For all that is spoken of Witcher's being deprived of emotion, the Ravens almost certainly are.

A half hour ago I saw the Raven in action, his silver steel sabre cutting apart the walking dead with terrifying precision and skill, and when he finished he was not even tired. His fighting style was odd, he flicked and danced with his tattered black cloak, presenting a form and shape that billowed and shifted into the shadows, pirouetted and side stepped his opponents clumsy strikes like a bull fighter, and then struck fatally. Skilled, undoubtedly skilled.

He answers my many questions and I learn much of this almost holy order, but it is his last words that interest me the most. He has met other Witcher's, members of an order that dwell far to the south, in lands that he says lie in a shimmering sand sea. He will not speak more of them, or his reasons for visiting them but from what I can understand he is talking of far Zerrikania, or some nearby desert land. He has directions for me, and a token to bear for them, a Raven amulet that I must wear on the pilgrimage.

I will arrange for more guards and outfit a caravan for the journey, I am eager to see yet another example of these strange warriors.

An endless sand sea welcomes us, and the sun beats down with merciless tyranny, for many weeks we travelled through the changing lands along an ancient trading route, but now we are truly within the shimmering lands the Raven spoke of. Our guide met us as the desert began, the man is broad, his shoulders seeming almost as wide as he is tall, and his arms hang close to his knees. Indeed he seems almost ape like. Dressed in colourless swathes of cloth, he seems perfectly suited to this land, and his inquisitive eyes seem to laugh at us and our discomfort from the slit in his head scarf. In his hand he bears a curious staff of strong black wood, around which are bound silver bands, each bearing runic inscriptions.

He leads us into his home with calm surety, laughing and joking as he walks beside our wagons and horses, telling tales and asking many questions. He seems interested and friendly, always happy to answer any questions, he is immensely well liked by my guards and drovers. We travel by night, under inky black skies where an infinity of stars blaze, and sleep under our wagons as the blazing sun reaches its apex. There is a romantic beauty to this land, and I walk beside our guide on many nights, chatting of small inconsequential things.

We ocassionally stop at oases and meet desert nomads, strangely respectful of us and our guide, perhaps mindful of the amulet of pilgrimage I bear. We trade with them, I was determined to make this journey profitable, and the goods we have brought arouse much interest and very good prices. We part from them with respectful thanks, but the last gesture of respect always goes to our strange guide, he laughs and waves them goodbye, thumping his staff into the sand.

On the sixth day of our journey I begin to suspect the truth. One of our wagons suffers a broken wheel, for the rough stone roads leading through the desert are broken and ancient, though show some signs of repair. Our host comes to watch the repairs, idly juggling a half dozen oranges, which he gradually throws to the small crowd who have gathered until his hands are empty. Thereupon he performs a backflip and begins walking on his hands, making thunderous farting noises, the crowd roars with laughter. And then it happens.

The wooden braces break with a fiercesome crack and the drover repairing his wagon screams as the full weight of the thing begins to press down upon him, we all freeze in horrified shock, our guide does not. He leaps forward slamming his staff into the ground with massive force and unnerving speed, sets the other end upon his broad shoulder and stops the descent of the wagon with a groan of effort. He braces himself and heaves upwards, levering the massive weight of the wagon upwards and off our drover, we quickly leap to drag him free. Mid lift our guides eyes gladden as he sees our drover pulled to safety, and legs shaking with effort he waits until we have wedged and braced the wagon before releasing his burden. He is supernaturally strong.

Is this the Witcher I was sent to find? That day the camp enjoys a long day off, for the drover though not seriously injured is shaken as we all are and bares many bruises and soreness, and I approach our guide to find out. He watches me approach with a laughing eye, and I know that beneath his scarf his teeth are showing in a great smile. I extend my hand to him and give thanks, he waves them off with a laugh and a joke.

"You know what I suspect?" I accuse him.

He laughs again, and slaps me on the back as he comes to stand beside me and behold the shifting ergs of the great sand sea. "I suspect what you know my friend!"

I cannot help but laugh at the jollity he exudes, but my task remains and I take off the Raven medallion I have borne across the sands. "Is this for you?" I ask, handing the bauble across to him.

One of his great hairy bronze skinned hands rises to take the medallion, and he nods, and then begins unwinding his face scarf. The face that greets me is wide and strong, with a great amount of wiry black hair framing it and skin as bronzed and wrinkly as that upon his hands. He smiles revealing big strong teeth.

"Yes my friend, I am one of those you came to see." I look at him noting every detail and he raises his chin hither and thither to aid my inspection, cheeks wrinkling in a grin at such unusual attention.

I redden in embarassment and apologise, but his big hand striking my back removes any awkwardness. "Do not be ashamed Bertram De Aldersburg, we have heard of your quest for the great emperor and we approve, it would be good to have a history of our profession before the end of it." He speaks with blatant candour and no bitterness, which seems strange.

All the other Witchers I interviewed were melancholic when faced with the end of their order, and their very way of life, this one sounds positively unbothered. "Do you not care for your order?" I ask in shock.

"With all my heart!" He answers eyes wide and hand on chest. "But the end doesn't mean anything, for the journey has been magnificent!" And here he breaks into such a wide grin as to shame the midday sun.

I look at him grinning up into the blue skies and cannot help but grin in reply, this Witcher is not like the others I have met, for a while we stand in companionable silence watching the day pass and the sand shift. It is good.

He breaks our reverie with a sigh and passes me back the medallion. "Time to sleep for you my friend, and dream up answers for our long journey tonight. I shall walk beside your wagon and answer all you wish."

I thank him and retire to my tent, washing and shaving with the aid of my manservant, my mind awhirl. As I change into light silk sleeping robes the old man pulls on my sleeve and passes me the medallion I lay on the bathside, I thank him with a kind word and bid him retire as well. Looking down into my hands I see a grinning Ape cavorting instead of the Raven that formerly decorated the medallion, so this Witcher school is of the Ape.

With eyes as human as any of ours, but full of laughter and life, the Ape Witchers behold the world from a unique viewpoint. They do not see themselves as monster slayers, but rather the defenders of innocents. They are rude, cheerful, full of a limitless energy and beloved by almost all of the Shimmering Sands inhabitants. They are also very, very old.

They are massively strong, and disdain swords of silver or steel to fight with their great quarterstaves, which they bind with bands of silver, wrought with many spells. Like other Witcher they are cunning adversaries, making use of alchemical smokes and explosives, as well as potions to enhance their physiology, but these potions always taste nice and are mildly intoxicant as the Apes fight best when happy.

Their magical signs are very impressive and potent, and humble other Witcher's spellcasting, and they possess many tricks that only they know, these are however kept largely secret. They make most impressive showmen, and it is not unusual for an Ape Witcher to perform for nomad families, with a host of dazzling tricks.

I truly regret leaving them, but my quest and my research bid me to move on. And so after many days laughing and learning at the Ape Witcher's side I turn our caravan north and make for another rumour, the imperial spymaster sends word of a raving young man in Vizima who professes to know much of Witcher's of the Wolf school and Geralt of Rivia in particular. As I wave the Ape goodbye at the edge of the desert I plot out a course for Vizima, where this young man is said to dwell.

I meet the fair youth in a ghetto tavern bearing the sign of the Hairy Bear, he says his name is Alvin and that he likes me and my name, I will try and discern what he knows and discern any fact from fiction. He looks at my half elven eyes and ears with a strange eagerness, and I feel nervous.

Bertram De Aldersburg, scholar to his imperial majesty Emhyr Var Emrys, and foremost authority on the subject of Witchers.

I tried to start one up in community, "Icewind Dale Roleplay," went down like a lead zeppelin. Maybe a Witcher themed one would work, but i'm just not sure there's the interest or audience.

Me, Glaroug, Volsung, and I think Gilrond quite enjoyed it.

I would totally support another vote your path roleplay again, Witcher or something else you magnificent bastard.

Oi Oi Oi Oi Oi Oi

Blothulfur the Drunken Bastard, master of storytelling.

Nice signature, by the way. Nearly the exact point I made to someone couple o' weeks ago about The Witcher being grounded in realism despite magic, dragons, etc..

Yeah, pretty excited!

Still not sure if the devs took inspiration from this or not. But I'm happy that there's a bear themed witcher school (and gear) in the game nonetheless. :)

Top Bottom