Nvidia HairWorks

+
It was actually shown all the way back at E3 2014. Surprised so few people noticed it, if at all.
https://a.pomf.se/ikdsvt.webm

Look at how smooth and flowing it is (And that Griffin!), the non-hairworks horse hair we've seen after this looks awful in comparison.
The non-hairworks horse hair looks pretty bad in general if I'm being honest. I feel it could have been executed a bit better, because Geralt's non-hairworks hair actually looks great.

in that case Salulu does have a point about the hair but we may not yet have seen hair works properly yet to make the assumption that the feature is not what it was in earlier builds. in the game play footage by Angry Joe you can see the hair works on the horses main, but for the tail there is no improvement compared to the hair works disabled footage. the 35 min demo does have great looking hair especially on the horse and the fact that it is nowhere to be seen in the recent hair works enabled footage nether deny or confirm allot of speculation. chances are that hair works enabled footage by Angry Joe and other youtubers only shows hair works partialy on, so other features including the VGX fur might still be around and we just haven't seen it yet. though I would presume that the 35 min demo standards are the expectation since that was basically the major demo that people have formed their opinions on, it was released publicly and formally and is the expectation unlike the VGX and SOD trailers. even if the 35 min demo was work in progress it is a means people were informed. We shouldn't worry, I'm sure the game will be as good as devs have said it will be.

Many of you have asked us if AMD Radeon GPUs would be able to run NVIDIA’s HairWorks technology – the answer is yes! However, unsatisfactory performance may be experienced as the code of this feature cannot be optimized for AMD products. Radeon users are encouraged to disable NVIDIA HairWorks if the performance is below expectations.

Hope this information helps.

Many of you have asked us if AMD Radeon GPUs would be able to run NVIDIA’s HairWorks technology – the answer is yes! However, unsatisfactory performance may be experienced as the code of this feature cannot be optimized for AMD products. Radeon users are encouraged to disable NVIDIA HairWorks if the performance is below expectations.

Hope this information helps.

Hmm, that's a bit confusing to me.
Obviously I'm not doubting you, since it's your studios game and you would know best,
but from a game like Far Cry 4 which already used HairWorks, the performance hit was extremely similar on both Nvidia and AMD hardware, would it not be a similar case here?
Link to Far Cry 4 Hairworks performance:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/12/far_cry_4_graphics_features_performance_review/5

Salulu that realy depents on how its used and how the graphics card work .. it is most likly a bit slower always on amd cards since nvidia support it nativ . beside from that i dont realy feel there was aloot of hair in far cry 4 and i think witcher 3 might have some more hair ? annyway they just make shure in case it might be an issue you know it can be the amd card struggle with it a bit more than nvidia cards do.

Is Hair Works part of PhysX? I'm curious if you can add a second GPU to do the PhysX / Hair Works computations without getting a big hit on fps.

My system would be GTX 970 + GTX 750 Ti (the 750 Ti is normally in another PC). Would I get better framerates with the 750 Ti or should i just disable Hair Works?

Is Hair Works part of PhysX? I'm curious if you can add a second GPU to do the PhysX / Hair Works computations without getting a big hit on fps.

My system would be GTX 970 + GTX 750 Ti (the 750 Ti is normally in another PC). Would I get better framerates with the 750 Ti or should i just disable Hair Works?

Nope. Hairworks is done using DirectCompute. So you can't use a separate graphics card for the calculations like you can with PhysX.

i know that physx can be dedicated to a second gpu that is not in sli. but i dont know how hairworks work .. maybe .. maybe not .. i think maybe only nvidia can answer this

The big question is still how hard is the impact on performance for nvidia hairworkss, does a single gtx 980 with hairworks on give smooth 60 fps ? i think not.
U probably need SLI for this game to get a decent framerate with everything on ultra with hairworks and aa enable, and thats only on 1080p.

Last edited:
Hairworks sounds like more of a PR thing to me than anything else. It only runs playable on 980s and above, it changes little and it seems to lead to really nasty spikes. You can activate it, thinking that it is okay, because your frame rate is good enough, but when the first bear jumps you, you are suddenly below 30 fps.

well we find out in about 3 days 11 hours 11 minuts and 11 seconds XD
My gues is folk with a gtx 970 or gtx 980 in SLI should have a decent fps on full hd with everything on max, including hairworks and aa.
Unless this game eats alllot of vram under 1080p but thats just gueswork, i think not.

but from a game like Far Cry 4 which already used HairWorks, the performance hit was extremely similar on both Nvidia and AMD hardware, would it not be a similar case here?
That's not what he's saying, he's saying IF the impact is too hard then turn it off. It's a general statement. 'It works but we can't really tell you how well it works'.

I guess this means they've tested that it works but haven't 'measured' the performance impact. I'm going to guess it will be pretty similar.

My gues is folk with a gtx 970, 980 with sli u should have a decent fps on full hd with everything on max, including hairworks and aa.
Unless this game eats alllot of vram under 1080p but thats just gueswork, i think not.

VRAM shouldn't be a problem. It runs on the consoles with the same textures (or so we have been told) and there is no MSAA. 1080p should be no problem, not even for the 970 with only 3,5 GB real VRAM.

My gues is folk with a gtx 970 or gtx 980 in SLI should have a decent fps on full hd with everything on max, including hairworks and aa.

it sounds from nvidia it should be okey .. tho i wonder how my graphics card is gonna hold up to it =P i only have the first gen Titan card XD

Hmm, that's a bit confusing to me.
Obviously I'm not doubting you, since it's your studios game and you would know best,

That depends on AMD, they have to work with the dev to make better drivers for the game.

Ok, we find out about Hairworks. May i ask, Where is HBAO+? We already seen it ON in some Actual screenshots: 1 and 2
But NONE of the PC Ultra footages (like this, or this, or this, or this) does not have it enabled!
Why?

Last edited:
That depends on AMD, they have to work with the dev to make better drivers for the game.
How, if Nvidia actively prohibits it? -
the code of this feature cannot be optimized for AMD products.
AMDMatt said:
AMD is unable to optimise any GameWorks code period, and in most cases neither is the developer. This is just confirmation of that, from the horses mouth.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5071055#post5071055

Last edited:
Top Bottom