Why do you need GOG Galaxy to get DLC?

+
Why do you need GOG Galaxy to get DLC?

Looking at the official manual for the PC version of the game today it says:

To download updates and free DLC, you must connect your game to a GOG.com account.
To do so:
1. Click on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt shortcut. This will open the GOG.com Galaxy Client.

I thought you just needed a GOG.com account to get the DLC? I don't want to out some GOG Galaxy bloatware on my PC! That why I bought it from GOG and not from Steam (which I will never load on my PC). Now it seems GOG is going back on their word and REQUIRING not just a GOG account but the Galaxy client to get DLC. Boo.

- John

Because it has no DRM.

LMAO.

Epic Fail. The game still has no DRM. This is about DLC.

So the REDs are using a system for delivery of the FREE ADDONS to verified customers. Whats wrong with that?

And do please tell us of a similar situation done to your lofty approval.

I'm asking for clarification on this one (I'm not exactly happy about it either, so I'm hoping it's just an over-simplification in the manual).

Last edited:
GoG Galaxy doesn't give you a new account. It is only a front end for the GoG.com account you already have, by being a member of this forum.

Whether it is needed, or merely shorthand for "GoG Galaxy front end, for your GoG.com account, or directly from GoG.com" isn't clear...

Uhmmm, I don't think Galaxy is needed to get the DLCs though. The patches and the DLCs should be open for download from GOG.com with your account, right?

Uhmmm, I don't think Galaxy is needed to get the DLCs though. The patches and the DLCs should be open for download from GOG.com with your account, right?

Based on the FAQ that Marcin posted earlier, yes, this is correct. The confusion has come from the fact that the game manual says Galaxy.
My guess is that it's the manual that's incorrect, but I have asked for clarification.

---------- Updated at 11:32 PM ----------

@asterix2112;
By the way, where did you get TW3's game manual ?

And this is the main reason why I think the manual may be incorrect. It's been floating around the web, but it isn't actually officially available for download.

You can do that with other games on GOG, so I really don't see why they would remove that option for TW3. I've used GOG Galaxy, and from the looks of it, GOG Galaxy just looks like a client frontend, and the UI seems similar. You log into your GOG account, and you have your library there.

I really don't understand why some people cry "DRM, DRM!", when this is nothing like DRM. You aren't forced to use the client, you can play offline whenever you want, and you don't have to check in online with your client to continue playing.

This client brings social gaming, achievements and game tracking for those who want it, without the limitations and DRM on clients from other companies.

The examples of DRM in video games include: limited install activations, persistent online activation, cdkeys and software tampering, although I don't see how cdkeys is DRM. Having a cdkey isn't a limitation in itself, what matters is how it's implemented.

Last edited:
And this is the main reason why I think the manual may be incorrect. It's been floating around the web, but it isn't actually officially available for download.

True. I asked Marcin about this matter, I also contacted the GOG support team and suggest providing the official game manual. so far there's been no luck.

i don't think GOG-Galaxy is needed in any way. You can also download the Day-one patch from http://play.thewitcher.com/ and install it manually if you prefer to do so (at least this is what this site is for and they told us so). I would assume you can also download the DLCs here - might be wrong though.
you need GOG to get a digital copy of the game, so if you install the game from disc and later on break said disc, you can re-download it from GOG, but i don't think you have to install that Galaxy client at all.

i don't think GOG-Galaxy is needed in any way. You can also download the Day-one patch from http://play.thewitcher.com/ and install it manually if you prefer to do so (at least this is what this site is for and they told us so). I would assume you can also download the DLCs here - might be wrong though.
you need GOG to get a digital copy of the game, so if you install the game from disc and later on break said disc, you can re-download it from GOG, but i don't think you have to install that Galaxy client at all.

Where did you hear about that link? It looks dead in any case, not even a timer.

it is up for a few days now. one of those early-birds who got their copy from a local store posted a picture of the manual once. there on the first page it says that you can do this. and yep, it is dead, because it is meant for PC users, and the day one patch has only been released for the PS4 version by now. I would assume that you can download the file at may 19th from there.

edit: i was wrong. it doesn't say that in the manual, but if you install the game, a message shows up telling you about the site and that you can download the 1.01 patch there if you don't like galaxy.

Last edited:
Looking at the official manual for the PC version of the game today it says:

To download updates and free DLC, you must connect your game to a GOG.com account.
To do so:
1. Click on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt shortcut. This will open the GOG.com Galaxy Client.

I thought you just needed a GOG.com account to get the DLC? I don't want to out some GOG Galaxy bloatware on my PC! That why I bought it from GOG and not from Steam (which I will never load on my PC). Now it seems GOG is going back on their word and REQUIRING not just a GOG account but the Galaxy client to get DLC. Boo.

- John

you don't need the galaxy client. The galaxy client is the most convenient way to get it but you CAN go to GOG.com and use your web browser to manually download anything from GOG.com

video of what galaxy actually is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyYW9AOWh-8
https://www.gog.com/galaxy

Last edited:
I bought the game on Steam and I hope I can get the rest of DLCs on it. Im sure someone from CDPR team will make this clear very soon.

I bought the game on Steam and I hope I can get the rest of DLCs on it. Im sure someone from CDPR team will make this clear very soon.

That one has definitely been confirmed. The confusion at the moment is only regarding the GOG version.

If you bought a physical copy of the PC game you have to get your DLCs from GOG.com but if you bought your game from origin or steam you can get your DLCs from them.

The boxed PC version of the game is compatible only with the Expansion Pass sold on GOG.com

source: https://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_expansion_pass

You can do that with other games on GOG, so I really don't see why they would remove that option for TW3. I've used GOG Galaxy, and from the looks of it, GOG Galaxy just looks like a client frontend, and the UI seems similar. You log into your GOG account, and you have your library there.

I really don't understand why some people cry "DRM, DRM!", when this is nothing like DRM. You aren't forced to use the client, you can play offline whenever you want, and you don't have to check in online with your client to continue playing.

Then Goglaxy works the same as Steam - which isn't bad, but optimal, imo. Steam's Custom Exe Generation is an optional tool which developers may make use of, but when they don't, there's no DRM tied to the Steam game, and the game can be played offline, independent of the Steam client, and can be archived and backed up, and moved from PC to PC, and extracted anywhere and run without any online connectivity.

So it sounds like Goglaxy works the same as Steam, except I guess while using no-DRM as a platform rule, rather than an option which a developer may or may not choose for their own products on the platform. Many developers, like InXile with Wasteland 2, and Obsidian with Project Eternity, do not put DRM into the Steam versions of their titles. Even Bethesda's Skyrim didn't have DRM in it on Steam when it launched (but Steam CEG was added to it shortly after, in a patch).

Then Goglaxy works the same as Steam - which isn't bad, but optimal, imo. Steam's Custom Exe Generation is an optional tool which developers may make use of, but when they don't, there's no DRM tied to the Steam game, and the game can be played offline, independent of the Steam client, and can be archived and backed up, and moved from PC to PC, and extracted anywhere and run without any online connectivity.

So it sounds like Goglaxy works the same as Steam, except I guess while using no-DRM as a platform rule, rather than an option which a developer may or may not choose for their own products on the platform. Many developers, like InXile with Wasteland 2, and Obsidian with Project Eternity, do not put DRM into the Steam versions of their titles. Even Bethesda's Skyrim didn't have DRM in it on Steam when it launched (but Steam CEG was added to it shortly after, in a patch).

[Bold mine]

No galaxy works similar but not the same. with steam the client is NOT optional you have to use the client to download games. You DON'T have to use the galaxy client at all. Part of their "vision" for the client is to make it OPTIONAL. You will ALWAYS have an option to download things from GOG.com via your web browser with no need to ever install the client on your computer. That is a FUNDAMENTAL difference between the two clients and not something that should be glossed over.

Top Bottom