Should CDPR license/buy World of Darkness?

+
Should CDPR license/buy World of Darkness?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I remember a while back CCP games (who made EVE Online) were making a game based on World of Darkness. There wasn't much material released and the project was eventually cancelled, but from what I saw the setting looked quite interesting. I never played the RPG itself, but from what I know about the setting it would be perfect for a CD Projekt game.

It seems that for now CCP has no plans to do anything interesting with the WOD license and is 100% committed to EVE. So I was wondering that since CDPR seems to enjoy making games based on existing IPs, perhaps they could come to some agreement with CCP and license the rights to make a game, or even purchase the IP outright.

Just a suggestion.

I think they should. But the owners of White Wolf (CCP games) might not want to sell it.

Then they could license it, like I believe is the case with Cyberpunk. CCP games seems totally occupied with EVE Online right now, and dosen't seem ready to undertake another large project. They might be OK with a distinguished RPG company like CDPR handling development while they continue working on EVE.

While the setting is very cool, CDPR has to be wary of tricky licenses. The last thing we want is some corporate suit preventing DRM free distribution.

While the setting is very cool, CDPR has to be wary of tricky licenses. The last thing we want is some corporate suit preventing DRM free distribution.

Isn't CCP an independent studio?

Either way, I don't think it's impossible that they would sell the IP. They cancelled the WOD MMO and have shown no interest in picking it up again, or making any other game with the license. From what I've heard the Pen and Paper WOD is not as profitable as it once was, you'll notice that they're using kicstarter to fund a lot of their books lately. CCP might decide it's better to sell of the whole IP and focus on their main franchise; EVE Online.

Usually it boils down to how CCP view it. They might want to hold on to those settings, thinking that in the future they'd make something themselves. But in the end they probably will never do and it can dust in their coffers forever. If they are more open, they can give CDPR a go. But CDPR should want it first and now they are pretty busy with Cyberpunk 2077 already. But as their future project - it definitely has a huge potential if it can work out.

Last edited:
Usually it boils down to how CCP view it. They might want to hold on to those settings, thinking that in the future they'd make something themselves. But in the end they probably will never do and it can dust in their coffers forever. If they are more open, they can give CDPR a go. But CDPR should want it first and now they are pretty busy with Cyberpunk 2077 already. But as their future project - it definitely has a huge potential if it can work out.

Hopefully the release of Cyberpunk will show other devs that MMOs are not the optimal format for adapting Pen and Paper RPGs. That the best way to do it is to go back to the days of Neverwinter Nights by creating singleplayer/co-op RPG's with full mod support. CDPR could rekindle that Golden age, but with the addition of vast open worlds and wonderful graphics.

this would be great! way better then cyberpunk! (dont like cyberpunk tbh)

I actually don't know much about Cyberpunk, but I'm hoping it succeeds in order to disprove this idea devs have that the best way to bring adapt a Pen and Paper RPG to video gaming is to create and MMO.

Top Bottom