Console gamer chance to buy gaming PC and what should I get W3 for?(pc guys)

+
Console gamer chance to buy gaming PC and what should I get W3 for?(pc guys)

Hey fellas, Im mostly a console gamer (Ps4) and only have a older laptop I use to surf the web.. I know a old high school friend who is a big time PC gamer who unfortunately lost his job a few month's ago and is on the cusp of getting kicked out of his apartment for late rent.. He has offered me his gaming computer for a steal he says since he is desperate. He said he would offer it to me before posting it on eBay or Craigslist.. Im not current on PC gaming technology and never really have been tech savvy but these are the specs of the machine he is offering according to him..He wrote this down for me.

4790 i7
8 GB DDR 3
240 GB Kingston SDD
500 GB Western Digital HD
2 PNY 970 GTX SLI
Asus brand main bored
750 Watt Corsair Power Unit
Logitech G600 mmo mouse / steelseries keyboard
Zalman case with a bunch of blue lights and fans in it.

Friend is offering me this for $800.00. Im not struggling and got plenty to cover.. I trust him but like i said im a PC tech noob basically and we dont hang out or see each other to much so wanted opinions. I did see the computer it looks cool and he showed me Far Cry 4 running on it and it was pretty mind blowing..

So should I get this? And if I do should I get W3 for this or PS4?!?! Would this be considered a high end computer for gaming and what should it run Witcher at?

Thanks friends

This is a ~$1500 rig. If you can have it for 800, looks fine.

Except SLI has pretty obvious flaws (one of them being micro stutter of course) so your in-game experience might be a bit worse cause of that.

This is a ~$1500 rig. If you can have it for 800, looks fine.

Except SLI has pretty obvious flaws (one of them being micro stutter of course) so your in-game experience might be a bit worse cause of that.

If that is the case you can of course disable SLI, and even remove and sell one of the cards. A single 970 is a fairly strong card. Two is potentially better, but can have minor issues.

If that is really the specs in his computer and there is no parts about to go capoof then this is a pretty powerful computer with one of the best GPUs ou there humm wait not one but 2 SLI and a very powerfull CPU yes you will run Witcher 3 at full max graphics no doubt about it

Hey fellas, Im mostly a console gamer (Ps4) and only have a older laptop I use to surf the web.. I know a old high school friend who is a big time PC gamer who unfortunately lost his job a few month's ago and is on the cusp of getting kicked out of his apartment for late rent.. He has offered me his gaming computer for a steal he says since he is desperate. He said he would offer it to me before posting it on eBay or Craigslist.. Im not current on PC gaming technology and never really have been tech savvy but these are the specs of the machine he is offering according to him..He wrote this down for me.

4790 i7
8 GB DDR 3
240 GB Kingston SDD
500 GB Western Digital HD
2 PNY 970 GTX SLI
Asus brand main bored
750 Watt Corsair Power Unit
Logitech G600 mmo mouse / steelseries keyboard
Zalman case with a bunch of blue lights and fans in it.

Friend is offering me this for $800.00. Im not struggling and got plenty to cover.. I trust him but like i said im a PC tech noob basically and we dont hang out or see each other to much so wanted opinions. I did see the computer it looks cool and he showed me Far Cry 4 running on it and it was pretty mind blowing..

So should I get this? And if I do should I get W3 for this or PS4?!?! Would this be considered a high end computer for gaming and what should it run Witcher at?

Thanks friends
You should get it Gvilleuncfan.

Its a really strong Rig.

OK, this may not be applicable, but if warranty cards are important in the country you live in, try to get them from him for anything still under warranty, especially the 970s, and especially if there's a possibility you may sell-on one of these cards.

I'm not suggesting anything's likely to break just after you buy it, but it's always a sensible thing to do.

If that is the case you can of course disable SLI, and even remove and sell one of the cards. A single 970 is a fairly strong card. Two is potentially better, but can have minor issues.
Yes of course, just warning him about SLI common problems.

This rig for $800, if legit and if all parts are new, is quite a deal my friend.

I don't know of your relations with this friend, but he would be losing money by selling you this rig for a $800. Be cautious !

I wouldn't get 2x 970..I would either wait for 980ti (which is supposed to come out in June or just save up and buy a Titan X..that one has enough Vram to last you at least 5+ years). It also depends at what resolution you wanna play at..but a Titan X can carry 1440p and beyond quite well.

500GB normal HD is way too small..you should get a 250GB SSD and then invest in an 3-4 GB WD Red or Green for storage and in another 1gb WD Black for playing normal games (the speed of the Black WD is top notch..keep the open world games and the ones that have a lot of load screens for the SSD and for loading streaming assets easier..it will work wonders for Witcher 3 and GtA 5).

Make sure you buy a CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212 cooler for your CPU so you can OC it and keep it very cool. (and it's the cheapest and rated one of the best air cooling units).

Regarding brands..I recommend Samsung SSD, Western Digital HDD, and either MSI, EVGA or Gigabyte for the GPU, Corsair for Ram & PSU.

I wouldn't get 2x 970..I would either wait for 980ti (which is supposed to come out in June or just save up and buy a Titan X..that one has enough Vram to last you at least 5+ years). It also depends at what resolution you wanna play at..but a Titan X can carry 1440p and beyond quite well.

500GB normal HD is way too small..you should get a 250GB SSD and then invest in an 3-4 GB WD Red or Green for storage and in another 1gb WD Black for playing normal games (the speed of the Black WD is top notch..keep the open world games and the ones that have a lot of load screens for the SSD and for loading streaming assets easier..it will work wonders for Witcher 3 and GtA 5).

Make sure you buy a CoolerMaster Hyper Evo 212 cooler for your CPU so you can OC it and keep it very cool. (and it's the cheapest and rated one of the best air cooling units).

Regarding brands..I recommend Samsung SSD, Western Digital HDD, and either MSI, EVGA or Gigabyte for the GPU, Corsair for Ram & PSU.

Good suggestions, but not quite relevant this time :(

@Dragonbird: Yeah I reread his post (I think I shouldn't post at 6 in the morning with my eyes barely keeping themselves opened)..you can delete that post, because like you said it's not relevant to the OP's issue.

@gvilleuncfan: The PC is solid and for 800$ it's worth it. That build will run easily everything at ultra at 1080p. 60fps with everything enabled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom