The Witcher 3 Modding

+
don't know if anyone mentioned this but at IGN stream they asked the developer about moding tools. he said they won't be avaialbe at launch and he wasn't sure wether they would be available at all. he said it's up for discussion

Do you have a link to it?

Well there you are totally wrong as Skyrim has the exact same problem, if anything it's even worse because only the last file is applied, compatibility patches are required to make mods work together if they chamge the same files.

I have very little experience of the Witcher 2, but one advantage to editing the Vanilla files is using the User Content folder. This appears toallows you to name a file the same as the games (player.ws, movable.ws, combat.ws, etc) but only contain your changes to be applied to the original.
Mods though would need the same compatibility patches that Skyrim does.

So obviously the compatability isn't the reason for Witcher 2 modding being so small. Linear mechanics is one major factor and 2 years late with RedKit the other.

Actually Skyrim was quite modular as far as modifications go: for example you can modify the iron sword entry in one mod and the steel sword one in another they'd work just fine together (unless you have wild or dirty edits which is the fault of the modder for not cleaning their mod). I wouldn't be able to hit the 255 ESP/ESM limit if this wasn't the case ;)

Sadly this isn't true with most other games where all the swords data might be stored in one file for example. This was an issue with Saint's Row 4 for example where part of the weapon data was stored in one common file which made certain mods incompatible. For example a mod that changed a shotgun mesh and a mod that changed an AR mesh weren't compatible, you had to get to the nitty and gritty and edit the xml files that were several thousand lines long yourself, something most people didn't know how to do properly.

Say what you will about Skyrim but the data structures used for mods and how they interact with eachother is pretty well thought out for the most part. My main beef with it is the scripting, more specifically how it bakes certain data into your saves and how it handles script run time allocation.

TW2 was far from perfect modding due to how it handled data. This is immediately apparent if you read the FCR mod description on nexus and why it's not more modular. I know this isn't the best comparison but if you were do do one between SkyRe for Skyrim and FCR for TW2 (both mods focused on changing combat, leveling and character build mechanics): SkyRe is less than 130 MBs in size and this is with new meshes and textures included while FCR is over 1.4 GBs without any of that as far as I know. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a jab at TW2 or the modder behind FCR (Flash is working for CDPR now, he knows what he's doing), but you can't really say Skyrim had major compatibility problems unless mods modified the same thing or had strange interactions with eachother (which are mostly easy to fix with TES5Edit if you know what you're doing).

I couldn't hear some of what he said, but it didn't sound like he said they might not include mod tools at all, sounds more like they're not ready to announce anything.

Though the more I think about it, I wouldn't be too suprised if they did decide not to release mod tools. They seem very reluctant to talk about it anymore, and Gopher said they got quite annoyed when he pressed them on it. It might be that they've run into problems developing the tools; mostly because a lot of important content for the base-game is probably created outside of the REDkit. Remember that the Witcher 2 REDkit had no facial animation tools, I suspect this was because those animations were handled by third-party programs. Given how sophisticated facial animations are for the Witcher 3 I doubt CDPR went to the trouble of creating a built-in facial animation system.

Witcher 3 is a very cinematic experience, it looks like almost every dialog scene is constructed with film-like precison, this will make it very difficult for many modders to create something that measures-up to the base-game in terms of quality. Skyrim, on the other hand, was less cinematic and lss graphically-intensive, this made it far easier for modders to create content that equaled or, in some cases, exceed Bethesda's in terms of quality.

Hey, I don't want to create a new subject for that question and I think this is the best place for it.

Is there any chance to see a patch / mod to get back the old foliage textures ? That + a Sweet Fx might bring back the atmosphere I LOVED about the early trailer and game-play videos.

I mean, the "old" textures have been created so they exist. It would be easy for CDPR to give them to those who want to get it.

We never switched the textures. On pc, you now have the option to activate "Ultra" quality textures with the full resolution. However, the difference that many people see with new and old footage was a strong sharpening filter in 2013 that looks awesome on screenshots and in short videos, but strains the eyes after a short while if there is a lot of movement (leaves and grass swaying in the wind as an example). That's why it was decided to tone that effect down.
However, people who really want to have it can of course use the Redkit to change the environment settings. It's just a matter of taste. :)

It will be really disappointing if they decide to scrape mod tools completely. I will consider it a bigger blow to the PC version than graphics or anything else (if that happens). The reason why Skyrim is still alive and healthy on PC is because of mods otherwise the vanilla Skyrim on consoles is a past now, I want something like that for The Witcher 3 PC too.

Don't know what happened because in the start they were saying that they are quite excited to see what the players will create with mod tools, maybe they got overburdened by the work and decided to put the tools on hold ? in that case they should delay them a little but removing them completely is awkward. I don't think this is because of technology because they knew what tech they are going to use from the beginning and still were quite confident about mod tools but suddenly it's up for the discussion.

I hope we get the tools.

---------- Updated at 11:40 AM ----------

However, people who really want to have it can of course use the Redkit to change the environment settings.

Hi Benz, does that mean you're saying the RedKit will arrive at some point ? Please confirm.

I can confirm that. About the IGN livestream: The developer was just not 100% sure, since he does not work on Redkit and wanted to give a cautious answer just in case. But we are definitely working on this. :)

Thank you so much Benz ! You're a life saver you know that ? :)

I can confirm that. About the IGN livestream: The developer was just not 100% sure, since he does not work on Redkit and wanted to give a cautious answer just in case. But we are definitely working on this.
Oh! Thank God.:w00t:

I can confirm that. About the IGN livestream: The developer was just not 100% sure, since he does not work on Redkit and wanted to give a cautious answer just in case. But we are definitely working on this. :)
[FONT=&quot]

That is very good news!

I was wondering if you could tell me whether facial animations are handled in the engine or created by external tools. Skyrim had built in facial animation tools, but they produced very basic results and often poor lip-sync. If you created such a sophisticated facial animation system on your own that is quite an accomplishment.[/FONT]

Well, I don't think the sharpening filter was all of it.

In the 35 minute demo, there were some contrast/saturation differences or something that brought out the shadows between the plants.

Oh, you're talking just about foliage TEXTURES.

Nevermind!

Top Bottom