What color correction can do to those ugly screenshots

+
What color correction can do to those ugly screenshots

I will keep updating this post as there comes more valid points and relevant discussion in this thread

EDIT nr. 7363t63-2:

So, first fiters are ready!

First of all @Ostamunt's filter: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3699/
It uses sweetfx and radeonpro, screenshots in post #128

Other filters can be found here:http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/970/

Everything below is original OP and previous edits, some stuff is outdated if thread keeps alive I'll clean it at some point
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have recently stumbled to this page: http://m.polygamia.pl/Polygamia/51,109144,17905381.html?i=4 and in my opinion by far the biggest difference is that those new screenshots have this ugly yellow tint and reduced micro-contrast.

So I thought i should try how they look with corrected colors and added contrast.
Here are is one of them (I'll upload more soon)

Original comparison

This is my version of the 'bad' screenshot. Note: all I did was correct colors and add contrast

In my opinion it's fairly close to oldest one in terms of colors and looks pretty good. Seems that when I get the game I'll apply some sweetfx corrections...

Some have suggested that yellow tint could be there due to time of day.
This is not the case as time is same in both pictures, take a look at the shadows, they are in exact same positions and angles which (due to dynamic sun movement)
means that time of day is same.

About the weather it's more diffiult to say but to me it really looks the same, only difference being that newer one has more aerial fog

So the yellowish mood comes from something else

your opinions?
(please no downgrade whining though)

2nd. screenshot

original

Edited

If you want to achieve these effects in game itself there are programs called sweetfx and enb injector which you can try
I'll be experimenting with these after launch and if this thread is still alive post results and tips
Also: @il_corleone_manu suggested MSi gaming app for color and contrast changing (haven't tried it myself thought) (edit: tried it and at least for me it says hardware not supported so I'll assume it only works with MSi GPU)

As requested:

In detail what I did: color correction was made in gimp and contrast in adobe lightroom.

Color: I made yellow slightly more "redish" with hue edit and degreased saturation. -note this was only applied to yellow color channel, not master.
Saturation is just +60 in lightrooms "clarity" slider. What it does is effectively just increasing contrast in small areas (conrast is only changed regarding to close pixels, not whole image)

Now this unfortunately leads to some trouble regarding the sweetfx config. I'm really not too experinced with it and its color matrix (which I assume is for color corrections) I haven't used at all.
I don't know how I can apply the saturation and hue change to yellow colour only.:huh:
Same goes with contrast, lightrooms clarity is complicated algorithm and different from normal contrast algorithms like the on sweetfx uses

BUT. now the good news: this deadlymint guy is already making sweetfx profile and promises it will be in sfx database before launch.
http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_t...YyrBCs_en.html

If he delivers I will most likely use this as a base to my own mods and again, will report results

Attachments

• z17905474P,Coz-mozna-powiedziec----Niebo-a-ziemia--Zwroccie-u.jpg
    z17905474P,Coz-mozna-powiedziec----Niebo-a-ziemia--Zwroccie-u.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 69
  • LrMobile1605-2015-075529614292732497.jpeg
    LrMobile1605-2015-075529614292732497.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 68
  • z17905435P,Dalszy-ciag-tych-samych-problemow--Wyraznie-widac-.jpg
    z17905435P,Dalszy-ciag-tych-samych-problemow--Wyraznie-widac-.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 62
  • LrMobile1605-2015-071130083452981442.jpeg
    LrMobile1605-2015-071130083452981442.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
looks really better.
i'm curious, If I'm playing on ps4, can i do smth like this just by changing some of my TV's image settings?

Last edited:
There is the boulotaur SweetFX which is DX11 and 64 bit compatible.

ReShade+Sweetfx is also DX11/64Bit

Looks great, precisely the type of colors i was looking for, could you apply it to a couple of other Screenshots in different Time of day and weather conditions aswell?

@GZulu Sorry, english is not my native language.​
By saying 'it's worth a shot' you mean that i've asked a funny\silly question?
Maybe you are right, however, there were a few games that were looking much better on my TV just because i've changed colour scheme and contrast\brightness (evil within, killzone, some others)
So, that's because i'm asking such a question =)

Last edited:
@Zaeccis

I could be wrong but I think they didn't changed the colors, they just lowered or removed the post processing effects like HDR, Sharpen etc which does effect performance to some extent, it remains to be seen how the post processing effects that we found in those XML files will change the game on PC. In any case we can certainly apply the injectors for all sorts of eye candies.

Looks very good :) A few weeks back I was messing around with contrast and sharpening and I also lowered the saturation a bit. I think these shots look even better with the colour adjustment making it less 'yellow', particularly the wood details.

Nice one.

I'm hoping this sort of change will be quickly and easily achievable; I'm gonna be using SweetFx for the first time and I don't want to spend most of release day messing about with adjustments.

Pretty sure i read somewhere that they changed sharpening filter since those first screens were taken, so looking at these seems to conform that.

It is quite a large difference.

Pretty sure i read somewhere that they changed sharpening filter since those first screens were taken, so looking at these seems to conform that.

It is quite a large difference.
Yup, it was confirmed earlier today by a dev in the modding thread.
By the way, I was wondering with all the new footage we got recently if there was any with the sharpening filter on ? I'm curious to see what it looks like. In most of them, like the ign live, it was disabled.

I'm actually really curious about current sharpening filter (seen in xml files) as it hasn't been enabled in any of screenshots online

Could you try to apply the same settings to some Skellige screens? I´m wondering how that would look like, since they already seem a bit colder in terms of colour. So far it looks really good.

they just lowered or removed the post processing effects like HDR, Sharpen etc which does effect performance to some extent,

Sharpening filter is still in the game. You can see it, in the game setting in IGN stream couple days ago. But it's off as in every "PC Ultra" stream or Youtube video.
HBAO+ and other nV effects are off to, I don't understand purpose of that move. Maybe it's a marketing decision.

@Zaeccis
Great work, you showed some love to that screens :p
Can't wait to run Witcher 3 with SweetFX correction, if it really looks @ launch like PS4 version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom