PC or PS4 with my situation?

+
PC or PS4 with my situation?

I don't know much about PC so I can't tell whether my cpu could handle it, or would it be best to just get the ps4.

I don't like playing at 30fps and would rather play 60fps with poor graphics, but not even sure my cpu can go low graphics and keep 60 fps.

intel core i3-2130 cpu 3.40 ghz
6gb ram
64 bit operating system
Geforce gtx 650

Yeah I know it's a bit outdated.... Anyone know if I should just go for the PS4 version?

do you like using a controller to play or do you like using keyboard and mouse ? do you have the founds and to upgrade your pc ? to a more high end computer? =) that are some question i have before i can give you an answer on what you should chose

I can always just plug my controller into the CPU.

I don't even know if I can upgrade this old cpu. I'm guessing my graphics card can't handle even low end witcher 3?

well you very low and i dont think buying w3 for that build would be a good idea. so the question is what do you preffer? are you using your pc for most games ? do you have the money (2000$ for a good build for really good graphics ) ? how motch pc games you play ? many ? if all of those are yess then pc is a good choice .

else if you like controllers .. dont bother about graphics or dont have that much money and dont even play many games on pc or you mostly play on a console a console is the better choice since its cheaper and easier to use. thats the best answer i can give you =) so you need to chose what you want

Ah thanks for the info.

I guess I will have to get the PS4 version. I don't feel like paying that much to just play witcher 3 ^^;; I mainly play weaker pc games like mobas / emulators. Consoles is what I normally play on.

I'm just going to have to deal with 30fps ps4 *sigh*

well there is always a trade off with every desiccation .. just like you will get in the game .. for you it just starts a bit earlier with what platform you will play on XD .. i hope anyhow you will be happy with your choice =)

I don't know much about PC so I can't tell whether my cpu could handle it, or would it be best to just get the ps4.

I don't like playing at 30fps and would rather play 60fps with poor graphics, but not even sure my cpu can go low graphics and keep 60 fps.

6gb ram
64 bit operating system
Geforce gtx 650

Yeah I know it's a bit outdated.... Anyone know if I should just go for the PS4 version?

Here is one thing to consider the PS4 version is locked in terms of hardware. So while it might look better now I think it is a safe bet that it will look poorer when you buy a new computer. The PC version supports mods which will help "extend" the life of the game in terms of graphics as new textures and ENB can greatly improve the appearance of a game.

So i would not only consider the "right now" comparision but also the 1 year or 2 year comparisons between the 2 when making your choice.

Here is one thing to consider the PS4 version is locked in terms of hardware. So while it might look better now I think it is a safe bet that it will look poorer when you buy a new computer. The PC version supports mods which will help "extend" the life of the game in terms of graphics as new textures and ENB can greatly improve the appearance of a game.

So i would not only consider the "right now" comparision but also the 1 year or 2 year comparisons between the 2 when making your choice.

I agree with this

ps4 will tho get dlc's and all offical expansion .. and unfortunately w2 haddent had very many mods or really any that expanded it life ... so i would on a personal point not bet on buying something way more expansive just for the maybe

ps4 will tho get dlc's and all offical expansion .. and unfortunately w2 haddent had very many mods or really any that expanded it life ... so i would on a personal point not bet on buying something way more expansive just for the maybe

The is misleading for two reasons. The witcher 2 didn't have mod tools for the first 2 years. So the modding community left it because there was no tools to work with, by the time there was tools people who would have modded the game had moved on to other games and other projects. Witcher 3 is suppose to have mod tools in a timely manner post launch. So using the state of the mods for witcher 2 isn't a reliable benchmark at all.

The second point is that you are not buying something way more expensive for this game. People who have PCs use them and they upgrade them. This isn't a case of should I buy a PS4 or a PC to play this game. This is I have a PC I have a PS4 which verson of the game should I get. And the OP already stated that their system was getting long in the tooth so an upgrade will happen maybe not this year or next but likely within two years and in two years time having a powerful system wont help with a PS4 version.

The CPU's not bad, in light of recent findings that the game doesn't get CPU bound, but the GPU is a bit low. 650Ti is substantially below the capability of the "minimum" 660. I wouldn't be surprised to see a PS4 outperforming it.

What about if I set the pc version to the lowest settings?

Like I said I'm more interested in smoother fps than graphics.

...I wouldn't be surprised to see a PS4 outperforming it.

Hi Guy, I hope you don't mind me piggybacking onto this post, I'm in the same situation as the OP and didn't want to start a new thread to ask the same thing. I've got till tomorrow to make a decision before I buy TW3, and I still can't figure out if my PC is going to be able to run the game well enough to be worth it. Alternatively, I can get the PS4 version. My Rig ; i7 950 CPU, GTX 580 (1.5GB VRAM), 3x4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, playing at 1920x1080.

I've heard two different viewpoints, 1) VRAM is very important and even though my 580 technically exceeds the required GPU specs, it will struggle because of the low VRAM. 2) VRAM is overrated and system specs are inflated to sell hardware, my rig will probably be okay.

So my question is, now that we are so close out to the game, do you think my rig will be able to run TW3 decently? I'm not expecting anything fancy, certainly not ultra. But I would like to be able to hit a mix of medium-high settings at 30+ fps.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

6gb ram
64 bit operating system
Geforce gtx 650

I'd go for PC..even at low settings I think you can pull off 60fps or close to that.

---------- Updated at 03:32 AM ----------

Hi Guy, I hope you don't mind me piggybacking onto this post, I'm in the same situation as the OP and didn't want to start a new thread to ask the same thing. I've got till tomorrow to make a decision before I buy TW3, and I still can't figure out if my PC is going to be able to run the game well enough to be worth it. Alternatively, I can get the PS4 version. My Rig ; i7 950 CPU, GTX 580 (1.5GB VRAM), 3x4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, playing at 1920x1080.

I've heard two different viewpoints, 1) VRAM is very important and even though my 580 technically exceeds the required GPU specs, it will struggle because of the low VRAM. 2) VRAM is overrated and system specs are inflated to sell hardware, my rig will probably be okay.

So my question is, now that we are so close out to the game, do you think my rig will be able to run TW3 decently? I'm not expecting anything fancy, certainly not ultra. But I would like to be able to hit a mix of medium-high settings at 30+ fps.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I'd go for PC as well..you should be fine with that PC at medium-high with some tweaking settings@ 60fps.

But then again I'm PC biased because I know for a fact that if you are interested in 60fps over 30 I would always go with turning down settings and getting 60fps over graphical fidelity...even turning down the resolution if need be.

To be honest reading your case stick with the PS4 version. You play now and enjoy the game at a decent quality. Later on in a couple of years when you will have the time and desire to spend more money on upgrades and such you can still get the game for pc when it will go on sale. IMO no game is worth these costly unpgrades. You should do those when your computer really need them.

In my opnion, I think you should go for PC. I have been playing on PS4 myself. Its good! Its really good! But I am getting a PC version as well. I have a GTX 660 as well. As far as I have researched on the internet, PC has better NPC density and better effects. Also it seems that CDPR have optimized it really really well for PC users. Here is a link below to a German site testing the PC version. Use chrome and translate so that you can read in English.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Technik-Test-1158845/

I can not guarantee that the PC version will be better on GTX 660 than on PS4. But I have faith in CDPR and believe that they have optimized it really well.
Also check out the gameplay on GTX 660 here - https://youtu.be/9Iky9tLuXFY
Its averaging 40 fps on HIGH in HD.

do you have the money (2000$ for a good build for really good graphics ) ?

I'd just like to point out, for anyone else that is wondering about PC build prices, that this is completely ridiculous. Sure, it is possible to spend $2000 on a PC, but it's absolute overkill and not required by any means.

A PC that outperforms current-gen consoles costs about the same as a console (around $400) - i.e. the myth that PC gaming is somehow more expensive than console gaming, is false. You can build a PC that exceeds TW3 recommended specs for about $800.

Top Bottom