Does Witcher 3 Have Large Battles?

+
Does Witcher 3 Have Large Battles?

No spoilers please, but I'm wondering if the game has large scale battles? Too often in fantasy RPGs, you have all this Lord of the Rings style build up between the forces of good and evil, only for it to all lead to basically nothing, like you fighting alone against five or ten enemies, rather than what all gamers want, which is a battle for Helms Deep type of large scale battle as seen in the Lord of the Rings films. I know this is because consoles cannot handle thousands of enemies fighting on screen at once, but I'm wondering if such battles exist in Witcher 3 since it's a PC series at heart? Or, even lowering my expectations a bit, Fallout 3 was hampered in so many ways by low console horse power, i mean the city of Novigrad in Witcher 3 is bigger than every "city" in Fallout 3 combined. Fallout 3 was a complete joke in that way. However, to Fallout 3's credit, even if they used some technical trickery to achieve this, there were multiple quests in the game where you fought along side 10+ faction warriors against some big enemies, and even a level where a giant robot joined you guys, shooting lasers, exploding cars left and right, that felt at least somewhat epic, like you hadn't invested all this time building towards something in the game. Of course Fallout: New Vegas failed in this regard miserably, giving you no large-scale challenges to test all your skill points against.

Does The Witcher 3 have large scale battles where if not thousands, at least hundreds of characters fight at once with fire, maybe catapults, magic, and so on? Please just answer yes or no, not "yes it happens in this battle where this King betrays this person and this happens." I want to be in the dark about the details, just want to know if the game has battles like these.

LOL don't think you will have that in TW3 it would be too difficult to have a screen full of enemies (both for the PC/consoles and for you the player).
The game you're looking is Dynasty Warriors, you can easily get 3,000 kills in a 20 mins battle. All stages are large scale battles between 2+ factions with siege weapons, you can scale walls, use rams to destroy gates, set fire to enemy camps etc.
Or maybe try Shadow of Mordor. Far fewer enemies than DW but you can get easily surrounded by 20 orcs.

Last edited:
Of course Fallout: New Vegas failed in this regard miserably, giving you no large-scale challenges to test all your skill points against.

This because Fallout 3 is an entirely no sense.
BTW, I don't think there will be large battles.
Geralt is not a soldier, and he fights alone.

Are you sure of this? That would be disappointing. i did try dynasty warriors once like 10 years ago and it was low quality across the board. I want a game with a story and characters like The Witcher combined with big battles, otherwise the battles are meaningless. For example Game of Thrones has lots of character development, then when a big battle happens (although they could use a few more of these, really), it means something.

Why can't they do it? I mean GTA 5 had some pretty big gun fights later in the game with lots of explosions and so on, that takes resources. It's 2015. When is gaming going to evolve? When were LOTR films released? 15 years ago? When is gaming going to catch up? I feel like this was a problem with games 15 years ago and it hasn't gotten better at all in the time since then. There was some mayhem in games back then like Vice City or Halo and the mayhem in current games seems to be about the same level, not better. The only game will large scale that I've seen in terms of a AAA game is Assassin's Creed Unity, and it's supposed to suck for other reasons.

You're sure Witcher 3 doesn't have gigantic battles? 2 didn't have huge battles by any means but they did have more enemies than normal games, and they did create some action at least in the background with lots of guards fighting enemies in different areas while you had to run through them and around them and get to a few enemies. Trickery in a way but it was much appreciated because it creates a sense of grandeur and a sense of the world where these battles are actually happening as part of the game, not just in cutscenes or not at all.

if console vs pc counts large, then you already have it! :D
Just jokeing, btw i don't think we will see huge battles, that would involve large cpu activity, which consoles and most standard pcs are not capable of in an open world game like witcher3, technically we 've already seen this in AC UNITY. thousands of NPCS take up too much cpu usage and bottlenecks start. For making such battles in a game like tw3, at least 12 thread haswell-es would be needed which likely 1-2% of the gamer community has, or even less.

there are not big battles in the witcher .. the witcher is mainly about story . second its the strategic fight system .. a fight with up to maybe 10 opponents is not a big battle and i am sure you wont have that unless the story create something like that where you fight a small group after group to create the illusion of a large battle like the w2 did at some spot.

There was a talk about a big climactic battle though. It was in one of the interviews with Damien. But I'm guessing that we won't be participating in it. Maybe just watching from afar.

There was a talk about a big climactic battle though. It was in one of the interviews with Damien. But I'm guessing that we won't be participating in it. Maybe just watching from afar.

yup that is true, from what i understand we will witnes the battles between the northern kingdoms and nilfgaard without beeing part of them. As a witcher shoud becouse of his neutrality. think of them as lone warrios who travel solo or in small gropus across ravage war lands helping people but avoiding politics as much as they can.

If there would be a large battle, I feel that it will probably be tied to the main story. Not many people have finished playing the game at this point. It's also unlikely that Geralt will participate in any HUGE battles because the story this time around is more personal than grandiose in the abstract, but who knows.

The fight in fallout three that you mentioned wasn't very big as I recall, maybe 10 people on screen max. If that's the size of battle you're referring to, I'm pretty sure we'll find one in the witcher 3,

Geralt is not a soldier, and he fights alone.

>Battle for the Bridge on the Yaruga

Not all men who fight in a big battle wants to be in that battle. Tho fighting in a big battle was never a promise of cdpr nor an expectation for me but I'd like to see some south-north clashes at least in good quality cutscenes, like the one in dragon age 1, ostagar battle.

I know this isn't exactly a "large" battle of sorts and other people have already stated that there would more then likely be a battle with ten or so opponents but from what I could see it seems as though geralt is fighting around that number if not more ontop of a snow covered mountain in the trailer; rage and steel.

I'd say there's a good chance that the final battle at the end of the main quest could involve a fairly large battle. My prediction of the main arc of the story is that you will be 'gathering allies' for the final showdown against the Wild Hunt along the way, so potentially depending on how many friends you gather for that fight (fellow Witchers, help from either Nilfgaard or the Northern Realms, depending on who you side with, other side-characters you help etc) there may be quite a lot of people involved in that final battle - which will probably happen at Kaer Morhen.

Whether everyone is all thrown in all at once in one major, massive clash I'm not so sure. If nothing else, I imagine that the very final fight with be a one-on-one mano-a-mano with the head of the Hunt, so I doubt there will be anyone else involved in that particular fight. How the rest of the final battle plays out, and whether it will feel 'epic' or 'huge in scale' as the OP desires is more uncertain. Personally, I doubt it, I suspect the final battle, while large in scale, will either be 'off screen', shown through in-game cutscenes, or split up into a number of smaller battles that you will pass through on your way to the big showdown.

Sure hope so, at least the last one or something on a more large scale. TW 2 did a good job at hiding the first big battle without losing immersion but I would be disappointed if the same happens here.

I have a feeling that it depends on your decision making and what you get Geralt caught up in. As for the Wild Hunt, I have an idea that it'd be a small group of allies versus a larger number of enemies if anything of that kind happens at all.

Top Bottom