How will you know that I bought the game? Regarding free DLC

+
How will you know that I bought the game? Regarding free DLC

I have have it pre-ordered on steam + expansion and you said we will only get the free DLC's if we bought the game. Do you have a special code for every bought game to be eligible for the DLC?

You'll download them via STEAM.

On GoG you'll use the GoG code and your forum and/or GoG account ~ they are the same.

No, I mean. The free DLC. I bought previous 2 Witcher games on Steam due to the huge discounts and redeemed code on GOG after. I am asking about the free DLC, because they specify if we bought the game we can get the DLC, does it mean the pirated copies cannot get this because there is a special encoding in the game files?

Just curious.

Last edited:
First ever game you've bought on Steam is it?
Steam will know because you're on Steam, just like with any other Game.
Same with GOG it's tied to your GOG account. All none steam stores provide a GOG link to use.
The Retail Discs are DRM free, meaning you can backup the game/Disc to your PC. To download the DLC I expect theres some Update code to link the disc to a GOG account, which is needed to download the update, this isn't DRM, as it's not required to install or play the game, Just to link the disc to a GOG account for the first time.

Last edited:
Nope. Already have several games on the account. I am concerned about the free DLC's which CDPR specified "if you buy the game" we can get the free DLC's. I'm thinking, so pirated copies cannot get this?

You get dlcs using a registered game. If you pirated you cannot get the dlc from your account.

STEAM checks against your Steam account. All other PC versions check against GoG.com.
PS4 against PSN and XB1 against XB Live (or whatever the current equivalent is).

There is no currently available "backup code" for Steam codes on GoG for the W3, nor any announced plans for this to be available in the future.

It is still possible to obtain GoG backups for W1 and W2.

No they can't because you need to have the game registered in either your steam account(like you) or your GOG account to download the DLC.

Well Steam know you bought the game off them, you will get the DLC the same way, because of that fact.
As for Pirates of course they can get it, just like they get all DRM games and DLC, it's called piracy for a reason.

Yes pirates can get the DLC they just wait for a torrent with the DLCs to arrive just like every other game out there.

As a paying customer you can download the free DLC content through steam as you purchased the game through steam.

Pirates have never been bothered by DRM so CDPR has said FRAK it why use DRM when pirates bypass it and the only ones who have to suffer for it are the paying customers?

Actually how Witcher 2 work was with patch and since it's drm free everyone get the DLC free with the patch. So I'm assuming the same thing will apply with with Witcher 3. I just hope that people buy the game like us. CD project red put their soul into this game and they deserve people buying their game not like Ubisoft all the game I brought from them are not working because of bug.

Last edited:
We can only provide the example, I never Pre-Order games, I made a one off exception to support GOG/CDPR.
Even if this game was rubbish, which it isn't, I lost the right to complain by Pre-ordering. When you Pre-Order any game, you are not buying the game you bought nothing but hype, well guess what, no game can match the hype for it.

If you want to know what the actual game is like, wait until after the release.

I've seen Many posts from people who say their "Pirating Friends" are going to buy the Witcher 3 due to CDPR's actions and stance on DRM.
If they whoops, "their friends" do, thats great. If not, so what?

If they don't buy this game, they don't buy any games.
AS CDPR say it's not a lost sale when, they won't ever buy a game.

Well, I guess every portion of the game will be pirated. I just thought we are treated better reading the word "if you buy it, you get the 16 dlc" from CDPR. And yes, I noticed there is no CD Key for Witcher 3 on Steam, unlike W1 and W2. I have been waiting for this game. I upgraded my rig just for this.

---------- Updated at 05:14 AM ----------

I pre-ordered because I know this would be beautiful. Back in 2008, I was looking for a dynamic combat rpg game and saw the Witcher 1 on youtube. I rushed to the local game store to get the hard copy of the game. It was beautiful and I was hooked to the series.

I don't think you will need a registered game to download the free DLC, they have said that the physical PC version needs to download the DLC from GoG but that there is no CD-Key with the physical version so it will be unregistered.

I don't think you will need a registered game to download the free DLC, they have said that the physical PC version needs to download the DLC from GoG but that there is no CD-Key with the physical version so it will be unregistered.

I'm pretty sure you need to register your key to get the DLC. I may be wrong though.

In some older thread a red told me that the physical version has no cdkey, tough that could be changed.

It does. It contains a key for the gog version. It is not needed to register that key. You can play just buy using the disc. Atleast the main game.

Obviously the easiest solution is to ship the base game on discs and download any extra content. Since retail editions come with a GOG.com backup, simply download patches and "DLC" off of GOG and install like you normally would.

The way it worked with TW2 was retail customers had to download content from the main Witcher website. It makes sense to simply use GOG for that now.

Top Bottom