Was the 2013 Reveal trailer..

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the 2013 Reveal trailer..

Actual ingame footage or was the entire thing CGI?I know there was a message that stated how the entire trailer was gameplay but it makes absolutely no sense to blame consoles for the graphical downgrade now and not make a separate PC version that can actually achieve those graphical settings.I am starting to think that what was shown in 2013 was all CGI and a PR stunt from CDPR.

It was entirely ingame footage running on an older build. There are multiple threads in the forum about possible downgrades. Try to look in these threads for more asnwers and comments on the topic :)

It was in-engine footage, but claimed it was in-game. Big difference but it worked well for marketing purposes.

The reveal trailer used CDPR's old renderer, and for the most part it looked significantly worse compared to recent builds, with tons of sharpening and color filters to mask the 'ugliness'.

I think there was this one panorama shot with the volumetric clouds, insane lighting and unreal draw distance. Now that must have been a target render or something, or maybe for that single shot they used their new renderer. They might've been too hyped about how good it looked and put it in the trailer thinking it was possible to achieve such fidelty in the final game.

Last edited:
Actual ingame footage or was the entire thing CGI?I know there was a message that stated how the entire trailer was gameplay but it makes absolutely no sense to blame consoles for the graphical downgrade now and not make a separate PC version that can actually achieve those graphical settings.I am starting to think that what was shown in 2013 was all CGI and a PR stunt from CDPR.

There are three things,

1) CGI: (Made totally outside of engine and should not be taken as gameplay footage).

2) Trailers: (Made with engine though with higher quality assets, perfect camera angles, more post processing and superb lighting). The end product could or could not end up looking like trailers, it depends on the performance cost and several other factors.

3) Gameplay footage: Real deal, it shows how the game will look during play.

Trailers are in game footage that should be taken with little grain of salt because the end product can change. It's okay to mention your concerns about some missing features but if someone is expecting the game to look 100% identical to SOD or VGX trailers then they are just fooling themselves as those are about 2 years old now, we cannot even say that devs finished implementing all features at that time or measured the performance cost of all features working together.

Rest assured the game still looks great now and a lot better compared to other games in the same genre. :)

Trailers are not 1 single piece, they are a mix and match of footage taken over a period of time. So the answer to that question is:

There was no CGI(easy to spot rendering flaws). There were parts that were cutscene, parts that were 'gameplay' and parts seemed 'in-game' but weren't part of the gameplay, meaning that they were running on the game's engine and rendered realtime but they can also be 'slices' disconnected from the rest of the game. Like the burning village, the part with Eredin walking, man getting stabbed etc seem slightly disconnected(visually) from what the village looks like when Geralt is in focus which would probably be actual gameplay. That last part is of course my opinion, it could very well be a different village?

It was at least labeled as "in-game footage". Gamestar claims to have a final PC build available (without Day 1-Patch). Their conclusion is pretty clear: There's certainly been a downgrade and the game still looks amazing. The comparison is in German, at the start they're saying they've turned everything all the way up (explicitly mentioning AA is only an on/off option): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIS5WHx4xDk

Considering the trailer footage is actually of worse quality in terms of compression and the like than their own PC material I don't think this is about YouTube. If possible they're trying to capture scenes at the same ToD (specifically mentioned for the swamp scenes). The most obvious difference is the draw distance (most apparent in the mountains/far away buildings in Novigrad and Novigrad's outskirts. Apart from that the color scheme is obviously very, very different and the lightning looks less authentic (e.g. in that tavern in Novigrad).

EDIT: For all the guys who're still clinging to the Day 1-Patch they explicitly claim there's no way one patch would be able to get the game back to the old footage, all one can expect are minor details possible improving. The final statement is something like: "All in all our PC version with everything cranked up does look a lot more similar to the PS4 version than the trailer and game-play footage we've seen before."

Last edited:
It was at least labeled as "in-game footage". Gamestar claims to have a final PC build available (without Day 1-Patch). Their conclusion is pretty clear: There's certainly been a downgrade and the game still looks amazing. The comparison is in German, at the start they're saying they've turned everything all the way up (explicitly mentioning AA is only an on/off option): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIS5WHx4xDk

Considering the trailer footage is actually of worse quality in terms of compression and the like than their own PC material I don't think this is about YouTube. If possible they're trying to capture scenes at the same ToD (specifically mentioned for the swamp scenes). The most obvious difference is the draw distance (most apparent in the mountains/far away buildings in Novigrad and Novigrad's outskirts. Apart from that the color scheme is obviously very, very different and the lightning looks less authentic (e.g. in that tavern in Novigrad).

EDIT: For all the guys who're still clinging to the Day 1-Patch they explicitly claim there's no way one patch would be able to get the game back to the old footage, all one can expect are minor details possible improving. The final statement is something like: "All in all our PC version with everything cranked up does look a lot more similar to the PS4 version than the trailer and game-play footage we've seen before."

Watched that video too and I think it shows the difference pretty good without starting to flame on anything. It is pretty informative and well made. Gonna wait till I see the game with my own eyes though before I judge.

Looks like this is another thread for the purpose of flaming, regardless of the OP's intentions.
The more-blatant trolling has been deleted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom