Crash To Desktop No error messages (FX 8350, GTX 970)

+
Crash To Desktop No error messages (FX 8350, GTX 970)

Game runs fine for about 10 minutes but then it minimizes and just closes. This has happened 3 times. A lot of people on Reddit are reporting the same thing.HAAAALPPP ='[

Edit: Okay so since I started playing last Monday night my game has been plagued with crashes and freezes. I was getting 2 different kinds. The first involved the game window minimizing and then closing by itself. The second was a freeze; the game window was still up but the picture was frozen...game still running according to the sounds that kept playing (had to CTRL ALT Delete and kill the app)

I did a few different things to make my game stop crashing and run better. A lot of the suggestions came from here so I'll try to give credit where credit is due.

Minimizing type of crash - Used DDU[1] to perform a clean install of the GTA V drivers (350.12). This got rid of this kind of crash completely. Unfortunately, the freezing was still there.
Freezing type of crash - I believe underclocking my card fixed this. I underclocked to -20 on the core and memory clocks via MSI Afterburner.

Nvidia Control Panel Tweaks -

• I turned off in game AA and turned on FXAA in the Nvidia Control Panel (this is mostly for performance, but I can't rule out that it didn't help the crashes.)
  • Maximum Prerendered Frames = 1
  • Power Management Mode = Prefer Maximum Performance
  • Vertical Sync - Adaptive

Game Settings -

• VSync - Off
  • Max Frames Per Second - Unlimited
  • Display Mode - Full Screen
  • Nvidia Hairworks - Off
  • Number of Background Characters - Ultra
  • Shadow Quality - Low (can't really notice a difference in quality of shadows to justify leaving this on Ultra, after all I want really stable 60 FPS)
  • Terrain Quality - Ultra
  • Water Quality - High
  • Grass Density - High
  • Texture Quality - Ultra
  • Foliage Visibility Range - High
  • Detail Level - Ultra
  • Hardware Cursor - Off (I use a controller so I don't even know what this does. I assume you could leave it on if you need it)

Post Processing -

• Motion Blur - On
  • Blur - On
  • Anti Aliasing - Off (we turned on FXAA in the Nvidia Control Panel)
  • Bloom - On
  • Sharpening - Off
  • Ambient Occlusion - SSAO
  • Depth of Field - Off
  • Chromatic Aberration - On
  • Vignetting - Off
  • Light Shafts - On

I've been playing for over 8 hours with 0 crashes. I WAS getting crashes every 10-30 minutes before I did this.
I hope this helps guys. I know how frustrating waiting for devs to fix something like this can be.

Last edited:
Same issue here.

5960X
16GB DDR4
Triple GTX 980 SLI
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 all latest updates
Latest 352.xx nvidia Witcher 3 driver with DEFAULT driver settings

Since the Edit function isn't working, here are my full specsGame runs fine for about 10 minutes but then it minimizes and just closes. This has happened 3 times. A lot of people on Reddit are reporting the same thing.HAAAALPPP ='[Full specsFX 8350 @ 4.5 GHzGigabyte GTX 970 G116 GB RAMSamsung 840 Pro SSDWindows 7 SP1Nvidia Driver 352.86

---------- Updated at 12:17 AM ----------

Full specs, FX 8350 @ 4.5 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Windows 7 SP1, Nvidia Driver 352.86

Ran into the same thing. Started the game again and it would just hang on a black screen before the 'has stopped working' message pops up and it crashes to desktop. Tried again, got into the main menu, the settings had changed to borderless window for some reason so I changed it back to fullscreen and it crashed yet again. Quite disappointing. I'll try and restart my system and see what happens. I'm on a i7 4790k and a GTX 970, both with no overclocks.

not quite the same but my just hangt up and crashed ... needet to close it with the task manager ... just reporting =P happent to me in the menu

Same issue, except mine is when I go down the start at the very start of the game it seems to crash on the cut-scene part no message just a crash to desktop.

I had this crash a few times, I turned off Sharpening and Chromatic Aberration - seems to have stopped the crashing for me - probably just coincidence but worth a try :)

I've also ran into these. Played for two and a half hours, 2 crashes occured. Once in the very beginning, while I was talking to Vesemir in the tavern in White Orchard, then about 2 hours later while browsing through my inventory.

Playing on an i5 / GTX 970.

I tried capping my framerate to 30 and running in fullscreen and borderless, to no avail.I just rolled my graphics driver back to 356.12, will update if it fixes the issue.

Same thing, crash without error message, sound keeps playing.

GTX 970, i5 2400 3.1GHz, 8GB ram, win7

Just came back to say I restarted my PC and it worked like nothing had gone wrong. Been playing about 45 minutes without any issues, though it might come back later on. I should also mention that when it first bugged out and screen turned black (with sounds still playing), I was fiddling around with the graphical settings, specifically nvidia hairworks. Doubt it has any relevance but still. I had also been alt-tabbing out a few times before this happened. Should also mention that I've been running fraps all the way through my session.

I was able to fix my crashing problem! (FX 8350 GTX 970 G1)

I was having issues with CTD. Wasn't getting an error message or anything. The game would just minimize, my monitor would flicker, and then it would close. I tried a bunch of stuff but finally found the culprit. It seems to be the latest Nvidia Driver. I rolled back my nvidia driver to 356.12. No more crashes!! =D. Before it was crashing every 10 minutes. I've been playing for over an hour without any issues =D

Same, the game crashes every 10 minutes without error.

i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, GTX 970, 8GB DDR3, SSD, Windows 8.1, latest drivers freshly cleaned with DDU

Just happened again. This time in the middle of a cutscene. Sounds still there, but the screen goes black and it didn't even crash to desktop on this occasion. Had to hit the reset button. Still running fraps and I forgot to mention I'm on Windows 8.1 64 bit with the latest nvidia driver. fromplsnerf says rolling back's helped so I'll try that before I turn in for the night. Quite a disappointment this has been.

Top Bottom