So, I actually have a positive opinion to share on the foliage...

+
So, I actually have a positive opinion to share on the foliage...

Though it may not be all that we would have liked (though as I mentioned that can and eventually will be alleviate through DSR etc), there is one aspect I love.

The wind effects.

Just forget the textures for a moment (hard I know). have you just sat for a while and just watched a bush up close? preferably one with long, thin branches.

They wibble in the wind! they bend and sway and lash around like real branches!

Now I knew the trees did this, but I don't think I ever looked this closely at a bush before release (hard to get a youtuber to zoom in on the shrubbery...), the effect is fantastic!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that little positive note.

But still when maxing the folliage setting, i still are blown away by how it looks.
I really never have came by a game that looked this great without mods...
And then the stable fps, i mean, what do you want more?

Yeah the wind effects are really good imo. A lot of people keep saying they look unrealistic, but I dunno if they live in the right places to assertain this. I live in Ireland, and when it's breezy out. I can literally look out my window and see the bushes and trees swaying the exact same way in the wind.

A lot of people spend so much time in doors now, I think they've forgotten what some stuff looks in IRL lol.

Foliage does look great and has the best animation. It's one thing I can appreciate even with the game breaking frame stutter of the console version.

I do know what you mean about the textures, they are kinda ruining the feel of the game for me. Keeps making me very aware that I'm playing a game, not experiencing a world.

On the plus side, this gives lots of encouragement for modders to descend on the game. We can hope...

The fact everything is animated to move is very impressive. I still think the effect is a bit overdone since things move too much and too quickly. I think it'd look much better if the effect was maybe 80% of what it is now.

Granted this is off the foliage early in the game so maybe it changes later on and is lessened.

Well, the wind effect have something special in videogames. No offence the Cryengine use that since Crysis 1 ( 2008 ) The vegetation clearly look like crap. Nothing else to say. ( thanks console version on pc ) They also wasnt really smart to use "small" grass, because to fill an area with vegetation they have to use TONS of grass and since each grass = 3 poly, its 3x XXXXXX grass + flower + tree etc = quite huge performance waste. When you want to make sometime look nice AND save performance you use "large" grass prop it mean 4-6 crossing poly where you apply the grass texture. In comparison lets say ( random value ) the poly of the "small grass prop" is a 4x5cm so with top view its a triangle of 3 - 4x5cm poly. And with the "large grass prop" its 5-6 crossing poly with size like 15x5cm. Which mean to fill 1m² you are going to use far less "large grass prop" than the small one, And if the grass texture are well made you will nearly not see any differences but the poly count is going to be WAY lower = better performance. Also, the vegetation lod / the lightning with distance / distant textures ( when you dont place your camera at 5cm ) is quite bad. Mean, for a game where vegetation is everywhere, that's pretty a shame to have failed that like their vegetation asset.. ( And better looking vegetation do not necessary mean higher resources needed if the artist is good / if their engine is well coded to have a good looking vegetation no matter the distance )

Top Bottom