Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
You ppl are killing me, i've just finished W2 two days ago to have a fresh saves. Modded it a lot with hi-res textures, foliage distance, VSR from 2560x1600 to 1920x1200, reshade+ sweetFX 2.0, Ultra settings + twaeaker, all that thinking "maybe i'll match graphics of superior TW3"... And from what i read here, all that to feel disappointed... Guess i'll see today, still waiting for a courier with my CE. Maybe i should wait for some mods with my first playthrough then?

Look at the trees and grass from 2013 and now, dont you see a difference. You only got cloned grass knolls and zero detail same with the tress. their faces is less detailed. color palette is very poor makes the game flat.
the color palette can easily be adjusted by cdpr, however I agree that the foliage is quite bad in this game. but otherwise its not a big downgrade

there was no huge downgrade, only the lod distance got reduce a bit and a few textures were lowered , but the overall difference lies within the coler correction and sharpening effect, but those are just a personal preference, that barely cost any fps anyway
http://i.imgur.com/TUT2Rud.jpg
by just adding a stronger sharpening effect and changing the color correction a bit, it make the game almost looks like the early 2013 footage
i didnt make this picture, credits go to someone else, forgot his username

This is no huge downgrade in your Eyes? Well in my Eyes the Pictures dont have anything but the location in common.

---------- Updated at 11:20 AM ----------

You ppl are killing me, i've just finished W2 two days ago to have a fresh saves. Modded it a lot with hi-res textures, foliage distance, VSR from 2560x1600 to 1920x1200, reshade+ sweetFX 2.0, Ultra settings + twaeaker, all that thinking "maybe i'll match graphics of superior TW3"... And from what i read here, all that to feel disappointed... Guess i'll see today, still waiting for a courier with my CE. Maybe i should wait for some mods with my first playthrough then?

I decided to wait too 2-3 month´s. I hope it dont take any longer till the modding scene will give us better textures, foliage ect. Would be awesome they can change the drawdistance too, but dont think this will be an easy task.

Not this again. Look, I can cherrypick too:

[video]http://gfycat.com/DigitalGloomyFrenchbulldog[/video]

The Witcher 2 was over saturation of post effects, nothing more. It's easy to say it looks good when you can't see shit half the time.

Downgrade?

Hello,

I did read from the Greeks that you guys downgraded TW3 in PC. Why did you do such a thing? Everybody HATES the downgrade.

Has the game been downgraded? I dunno. You need a top-of-the-line card (a GTX980) to run the game on Ultra in 30FPS. And even a Titan X SLI can not run the game at a decent frame rate with all the hidden userconfig extras turned on, hehe. YOU DECIDE.

The downgrade crowd is out in full force slamming the game on Steam though. TW3's Steam rating is only 82% positive, which for Steam is not very good. Most games that are any good at all have an 85%-95%, since on Steam you can only rate games "Thumbs Up!" or "Thumbs Down!"

Last edited:
I could understand people saying that it was a shame that the game couldn't be built to look like the first demo.
But 'hate'?
I'm enjoying the game and it looks lovely.
A little perspective is required here.

Hello,

I did read from the Greeks that you guys downgraded TW3 in PC. Why did you do such a thing? Everybody HATES the downgrade.

Long Story short.
Yes there was a huge downgrade. CDPR will never tell us why and they will never apologize. They tricked us with marketingbubbles and showed us their true colours. Now we have to deal with it.
We only can hope for the modding szene.
The Game itself will be good, but not the technical masterpiece we thought it would be.
Not much more to say about it.

Last edited:
CDPR made a large portion of the game when they only had a basic idea of what the next gen consoles (PS4, Xbone) were capable of in terms of graphic fidelity and hardware; this is around the time they released the SoD trailer. Afterwards, they got their hands on the next gen consoles and realized that it was not possible to play that version of the game with the PS4 and Xbone- so they had two options: finish the PC version, or start from [essentially] scratch, and rebuild a version of the game that would be playable on current gen console hardware. They elected to make the latter, as finishing the partially completed SoD PC version, and then going back and changing all the textures, engine, etc. for the consoles would take more time/ resources than they wanted to spend. This is why they did such a thing.

All of this is understandable, from a business standpoint, though people are displeased because they chose consoles over PC, and essentially 'sold out' because there is generally considered to be more money in consoles. I'm not entirely sure why Marcin and the other devs lied about it repeatedly, I presume because they didn't want people to cancel their preorders- mission succeeded I guess, the game sold more than 1.5million copies before it even launched.

The whole dishonesty thing really rubs me the wrong way; I used to think of CDPR as the good guys- a company that didn't use DRM and were gamers themselves, a company that didn't practice 'big business' and shitty business practices for maximum monetary gain, regardless of the impact on the final product and existing fan-base. Oh well, money gets to everyone I suppose.

Forum veteran
All the pictures I've seen in various "downgrade" threads have proven to be cherry-picked. The game is gorgeous. Not as gorgeous as those early trailers, mind you, but still the kind of thing that blows 99% of other games out of the water.

Additionally it is understandable that CDPR would cater towards the mass market of consoles, because after all, CDPR is a firm and firms aim to make profits. If they had insisted on using the 'upgraded' version (or the original one, as some may like to say), they are going to lose a large portion of the market (including mid and low tier PC users).

All the pictures I've seen in various "downgrade" threads have proven to be cherry-picked. The game is gorgeous. Not as gorgeous as those early trailers, mind you, but still the kind of thing that blows 99% of other games out of the water.

Yes, the game looks quite nice, especially considering it's an open-world game.

"Not as gorgeous as those early trailers, mind you," - this is the exact problem. They labeled these early trailers as "In-game Footage", even though the graphics displayed in the early trailers are not able to be replicated now. Hell, even when asked about it recently they lied, and said that the visuals from the SoD trailer would be fully replicable; this is the issue. It's misrepresenting your product and being outright dishonest.

CDPR made a large portion of the game when they only had a basic idea of what the next gen consoles (PS4, Xbone) were capable of in terms of graphic fidelity and hardware; this is around the time they released the SoD trailer. Afterwards, they got their hands on the next gen consoles and realized that it was not possible to play that version of the game with the PS4 and Xbone- so they had two options: finish the PC version, or start from [essentially] scratch, and rebuild a version of the game that would be playable on current gen console hardware. They elected to make the latter, as finishing the partially completed SoD PC version, and then going back and changing all the textures, engine, etc. for the consoles would take more time/ resources than they wanted to spend. This is why they did such a thing.

All of this is understandable, from a business standpoint, though people are displeased because they chose consoles over PC, and essentially 'sold out' because there is generally considered to be more money in consoles. I'm not entirely sure why Marcin and the other devs lied about it repeatedly, I presume because they didn't want people to cancel their preorders- mission succeeded I guess, the game sold more than 1.5million copies before it even launched.

The whole dishonesty thing really rubs me the wrong way; I used to think of CDPR as the good guys- a company that didn't use DRM and were gamers themselves, a company that didn't practice 'big business' and shitty business practices for maximum monetary gain, regardless of the impact on the final product and existing fan-base. Oh well, money gets to everyone I suppose.

What is your source of these claims? To my knowlegde there is not any statement from the developpers or anyone else that they threw away the pc version and developped a console version instead. And the release version is still not something for cheap computers on ultra.

They labeled these early trailers as "In-game Footage", even though the graphics displayed in the early trailers are not able to be replicated now. Hell, even when asked about it recently they lied, and said that the visuals from the SoD trailer would be fully replicable; this is the issue. It's misrepresenting your product and being outright dishonest.

About this one, could anyone make a thread or post a link with a direct comparison of the trailer scenes and the game scenes on Ultra?

Forum veteran
It's misrepresenting your product and being outright dishonest.
I understand that, I really do. Being lied to is one of those things that drives me crazy, too. There are plenty of people around here who could attest to me being absolutely insufferable when I feel I've been lied to. They definitely haven't been very honest overall lately as a company, either here or on GOG, but at the same time, the game is proving to be brilliant and I'd hate for someone like OP to miss out on it over the graphics. That's like giving up on sex because you can't find your favorite brand of condoms.

But I'm with you overall; I think we need to have a conversation about honesty at some point. This probably isn't the best time, though. Too loud, too many trolls, not enough attention with the game just out.

This is an album showing the differences.
Those are deliberately misleading. I'm playing the game with some settings on medium (and some on high, and some on ultra) but it looks way better than in those shots. There are plenty of screenshots of the game floating around these forums from users, so if anyone uses that as an example, be sure to compare the old graphics to user screenshots for the most accurate comparison.

Last edited:
The fact that they closed the gap between PS4/X1 and PC is irritating. Everyone must learn to downgrade themselves to the ground. The consoles will NEVER reach the technical advantages of the PC, for they will always eat PC's dust. If I was CDP, I would choose the time exclusivity and start finishing and polishing the PC, and later the consoles. The Witcher saga started in PC, and so therefore it will have to be finished in PC.

The fact that console fanboys whined about bringing it over to the consoles (don't go whistling with it, for I remember everything) destroyed everything. For me, a good game NEEDS its quality, not the money.

If you can, bring it back to how it was presented in the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom