Which difficulty for veteran Witcher player?

+
Which difficulty for veteran Witcher player?

What difficulty should I pick: Death march or the one before that?

I'd gladly play on the hardest difficulty but I'm a bit careful. I've completed witched 1 on hard and Witcher 2 on insane twice. And I remember how many reloads there were, especially in the first half of the game. I went full mage but I still remember the fights with the ten of nekkers two-shoting me.

My point is that I can handle it but is it fun? I've heard that death march has more intelligent AI, no regenerating life, less damage and hit points. Thats fine. But I've also read that you get less skill points which is infuriating and not fun at all. Which difficulty would be the most fun and whats the difference between them?

I started the game out on "Death March" Difficulty. Mainly for the achievements. I died about 6-8 times fighting the Ghouls for the first time. I died a lot of times before getting to the first "Boss" fight. When I got to the first Boss fight, I couldn't even get it down to half health. The problem was that enemies do a lot of damage (about 3 good hits would kill me) and would attack at the same time. I'd get staggered then hit by others.

I lowered the difficulty after failing the Boss fight many times (I beat it in one try on the second hardest). I personally find this difficulty a CHALLENGE, but not rage induced.

As for the Skill points, if true that would explain why I was not leveling up as fast as I'm use too in RPGs. As a way to counter that, I'd suggest as many of the "Power statues, the exact name escapes me at the moment. That way you can get ability points faster./

I am on the "Death March" difficulty. I died a couple of times when swamped by wolves or ghauls. But again, I don't have any good equipment to protect me. Basically you get 3-4 hits you die. And your health wouldn't come back after combat. So I would say it is quite challenging.

However I managed to kill a quest monster 2 levels above me in one try. I found that when facing a single enemy, using Quen would be very useful. Also you need to well prepared for the combat. Use oil and potions, bring enough food, etc. The golden rule is, don't be too greedy or you will get hit.

It's simple, If you believe that "Only too much is enough" then you should play on Death March.

However, I'm not recommending it for the first playthrough. Not because "it's too hard and you can't handle it", but because balance between actual "Fun" and "Challenge" is never placed on the Highest Difficulty (at least not when you are playing for the first time).
Game is not linear, so you can try to beat it few times (to see different endings and check other Skill trees). If you are a Veteran - start on "Blood and Broken Bones", on this difficulty player is really punished for his mistakes but not in the "insane way".
And to make it clear - there is no skill points (SP) reduction on higher difficulty levels. It's harder to level up and some Places of Power (PoPs) are protected by stronger enemies, but SP pool is unaffected.

It's simple, If you believe that "Only too much is enough" then you should play on Death March.

However, I'm not recommending it for the first playthrough. Not because "it's too hard and you can't handle it", but because balance between actual "Fun" and "Challenge" is never placed on the Highest Difficulty (at least not when you are playing for the first time).
Game is not linear, so you can try to beat it few times (to see different endings and check other Skill trees). If you are a Veteran - start on "Blood and Broken Bones", on this difficulty player is really punished for his mistakes but not in the "insane way".
And to make it clear - there is no skill points (SP) reduction on higher difficulty levels. It's harder to level up and some Places of Power (PoPs) are protected by stronger enemies, but SP pool is unaffected.

What do you mean it is harder to level up when there is no skill point reduction?

Relatively less experience points in comparison to easier Difficulties, but it's actually "lack of bonuses" (which you receive on Just a Story) than a penalty. Geralt with 10th level have same amount of skill points, no matter if you play on "Just a Story" or "Death March" (and please keep in mind that there are Places of Power with bonus skill points). However, what I really meant before is that you are leveling slower because it takes more time, focus and attempts to finish same monster hunts and quests on "Blood and Broken Bones"/"Death March" than on "Just a Story"/"Story and Sword".

All I can say is that I just started with "normal" and went for "hard" after beating lvl 7 bandits with level 4. Now I can even handle them on lvl 10 already still with lvl 4 but with potions and much dodge and concentrating :p

Its really fun and a nice challenge to fight on this difficulty level until now. Just waiting for my first "stronger" bossfight.

It's harder to level up and some Places of Power (PoPs) are protected by stronger enemies

Death March it is!

I started yesterday, died maybe 20 time.... but my learning curve is ridiculous, I'm a lot better just from one night playing it. I play till morning but stil... xD

What difficulty should I pick: Death march or the one before that?

I'd gladly play on the hardest difficulty but I'm a bit careful. I've completed witched 1 on hard and Witcher 2 on insane twice. And I remember how many reloads there were, especially in the first half of the game. I went full mage but I still remember the fights with the ten of nekkers two-shoting me.

My point is that I can handle it but is it fun? I've heard that death march has more intelligent AI, no regenerating life, less damage and hit points. Thats fine. But I've also read that you get less skill points which is infuriating and not fun at all. Which difficulty would be the most fun and whats the difference between them?

If you beat Witcher 2 on Insane it's Death March for you. I wouldn't touch Insane mode in Witcher 2, but since permadeath is out it's Death March for me.

I survived the first encounter with the ghouls, and has of yet only died three times. If you concentrate it is really a fun ride, but if you slack or show off, some enemies finish you with one strike.

Yeah, I'm currently level 2, and I've killed quite a few monsters and done some quests. Still I'm having fun and less XP ain't bothering me.

EDIT: Oh, with regeneration being out as you meditate you will have to fill your pockets with food. That's immersion to me so again, I'm having fun.

Last edited:
EDIT: Oh, with regeneration being out as you meditate you will have to fill your pockets with food. That's immersion to me so again, I'm having fun.

That's one of my favorite parts, the consumables are actually useful in this one (I'm playing on the difficulty below Death March, I forget the names). I can tell a lot has gone into balancing the game.

Top Bottom