Future of PC graphics

+
Future of PC graphics

well just in case Nvidia released this recently
also came across this video
[media]http://youtube/gbjW57zlVfc[/media] (sorry I still suck at embedding stuff here) :p

dam mind blown!
consoles bye bye? well that was not the point, just think where were we some years ago? this is brilliant stuff

I don't think we will have games as gorgeous as the last video. The cost of producing these games will be too high in this era of economical crisis.
Also all the electronic material to make those graphic card and processors the developers are using will soon be missing. All those rare metals and ore are starting to have elevated prices.

You know what Tech demos are, don't you? Its still quite a long way up to this. Besides there will be new consoles with better hardware soon.

Same story with OpenGL 4. But it'll be used more in the future. Consoles can never catch up to regular desktop GPUs really, their whole approach is lagging behind.

Why do people pay so much attention to technical graphics quality? Don't you guys care more about quality content in computer games? And artistic design? When games were more experimental, they dared to propose ideas and concepts going beyond simple entertainment.

Sure, those are shiny graphics, and it would be cool to have real time games that look that good. But that is only IF these games also have stories worth telling, ideas worth expressing, characters worth meeting.

Sure. The level of perfection one can achieve even with older versions of OpenGL and DirectX is stunning already. It's all about good artwork, good design and great story anyway.

Last video is nothing extraordinary, also imho in games dof is really overused, i usually must turn it off to see everything properly. Devs designed really beautiful world with huge amount of detail and then they blur it to hell with dof. Also if not for consoles we would have already better graphics than these tech demos. See dear esther or 5 year old crysis 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

also if you think that letho cutscene was amazing watch first minute of next video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWSl8&NR=1

In my opinion we need 10 years without console influence on the market to have foto-realistic games. Waiting for first nvidia gpu with graphene processor.

or magic of these guys

http://www.youtu.be/00gAbgBu8R4

Volsung said:
Why do people pay so much attention to technical graphics quality? Don't you guys care more about quality content in computer games? And artistic design? When games were more experimental, they dared to propose ideas and concepts going beyond simple entertainment.

Sure, those are shiny graphics, and it would be cool to have real time games that look that good. But that is only IF these games also have stories worth telling, ideas worth expressing, characters worth meeting.

Why do some people assume that whenever someone is into beautiful graphics, they don't care much about anything else in games - it IS possible to be a gamer who prefers lush graphics AND at the same time doesn't play a game just because of its graphics.

This thread, as I see it, is only about the future of PC graphics, not about all other aspects of game production: therefore this is discussed instead of game mechanics, nice stories and fleshed-out characters.

Besides, progress in game-graphics is interesting to many people, I guess it's because we (as humans) are progress-driven to some extent? Smartphones for example: many people buy new phones whenever something new and shiny is on the market, even though their old smartphone is working 100%.
New technology, or advances within, catches our attention, possibly because we generally love to see our human race progress further (maybe same reason as to why sci-fi scenarios are liked by many).

I don't find it that impressive, to be honest. The tech has been used in movies for years, anyway.
I guess the floating, bubbling hands are going to start showing liver spots :)

well yes these things look great in tech demons only so far, looking at a new dawn I realized how good CDP actually is with their work than all others. TW2 already proved it and this adds more to it.

Honestly the most impressive thing in that demo to me was the hair. I don't care about texture quality anywhere near as much as animation and physics (only regarding looks of course). When I played Crysis the best looking thing in that game to me was the water. I think this is why Demon's Souls and Dark Souls look so good to me as well. I think the better looking tech demos to me are these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbjW57zlVfc&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5mRRElXy-w&feature=player_embedded

If we think back lets say 80's you know stick figures( like commodore 64) etc and we look now where we are in this decade i have to say the leap has been amazing. So who really knows where we could be in 10 to 20 years from now what now seems like sci-fi could actually be realistically doable .

The graphic cards keep getting better new software's are developed so yeah it's only about the money and time. It's not only some one saying hey i got this great idea because as we all know creating a new software/hardware it takes money,resources and time.

So here's to the future and to the ppl who keep making great games like the Witcher 2

I remember watching Directx 8 or 9 tech demos looooong time ago, they were also amazing. Thinking about future of gaming it all depends of how powerful PS4/720 will be. They will set the standard of what is possible. Look at current PS3 games like God of War 3 or Uncharted, they look excellent even on old hardware but hows that possible with only 256 RAM?

Sometimes its just about being smart and know how to create a certain levels. Think of Metro games which look pretty good only because levels are small and narrow which allow developers to create more details with limited amount of RAM.

Let's hope PS4/720 have around 2GB+ RAM and with easy code.

metro performed terribly.

consoles are never the standard. pc is open, powerful and vastly superior in every way.

anyway, without good aesthetics or gameplay, graphics are worthless.

the dawn demo is lazy. she just sits there? what happened to the movement of the first dawn demo?

magnoos said:
Thinking about future of gaming it all depends of how powerful PS4/720 will be

Consoles will never be as powerful as desktops with high end video cards. So don't think about consoles if you think about future of gaming or progress of technology. They are only slowing things down since they are restrictive and closed. Future lies in open systems and open APIs like OpenGL. DirectX is really a dead end, even though it's still dominant. Open hardware is less probable though (at least looking at the current state of GPU producing companies).

Gilrond said:
Consoles will never be as powerful as desktops with high end video cards. So don't think about consoles if you think about future of gaming or progress of technology. They are only slowing things down since they are restrictive and closed. Future lies in open systems and open APIs like OpenGL. DirectX is really a dead end, even though it's still dominant. Open hardware is less probable though (at least looking at the current state of GPU producing companies).

Microsoft confirmed that xbox 720 will have this gpu:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385800,00.asp

may 25 2011

This card was outdated years ago. While on pc standard is gtx 560ti or 600 series, xbox720 is already outdated even few years before release. Seriously im not seeing any future in console gaming.

Sirnaq said:
Microsoft confirmed that xbox 720 will have this gpu:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385800,00.asp

may 25 2011

This card was outdated years ago. While on pc standard is gtx 560ti or 600 series, xbox720 is already outdated even few years before release. Seriously im not seeing any future in console gaming.
It’s all about making money! You don’t see a future in consoles? Companies like EA or Activision don’t care about your opinion since console games sell 10x better then PC! Until piracy is such a big problem on PC, no one will care seriously about creating AAA PC exclusive games!
Crysis 2 and few other titles are great looking games but still you can run them on console with 256 RAM! Some of them in 1080p, don’t think of consoles as how powerful they are. They are designed for gaming alone nothing else. Upcoming

Windows 8 won’t help any of that..

Upcoming windows 8 perform better than windows 7 in games, and you can turn off annoying metro ui with classic shell. Anyway i dont care about ea, it's dying dinosaur but it's just too big to die quickly. The point is, there is no really any reason in buying next gen consoles. At release it will cost you as much as gaming pc which have... well superior everything, and you already have games on it. Im pretty sure next gen consoles will be the last one, and most gamers migrate to pc.

Top Bottom