I just can't enjoy the combat

+
to make a game enjoyable you need a good selection of both predictable and un predictable....you need rats to slaughter and Litches to run the hell away from!
the former gives the player a feeling that they are progressing and becoming powerful...the latter reminds the gamer that no matter how good you are here is always something out there that will kick your a$$!
Predictability gives the gamer a sense or empowerment
unpredictability provides that gamers with a sense of achievement
you need both to truly create an epic experience!

Playing with death march difficulty, it sure is a good challenge but requires really good timing with dodge and parry. Buffs are also important like weapon oils etc. but you need to use signs and bombs too.

Personally, I'm loving the interactive nature of the combat (dodge, roll to avoid large sweeping attacks, timing parries etc) but some flaws do I think detract from it.

1: Soft lock. Why. Seriously why? If I want to lock on, I will lock on! as it is it just gives you another thing to take into account in the middle of a fight, and thinking about abstract mechanics like soft lock is not what we should be thinking about in the middle of combat...

2: Slow turning/movement momentum. Now I know this is meant well, I know it is meant for immersion and that's great. out of combat at least, though it could use some improving even there (shorter movements so it's easier to activate items indoors etc). But in combat? Geralt is nowhere near the superhuman reaction time and turn speed he should be. Just look at the killing monsters trailer and you'll see what I mean. But in game when he turns, its like the turns you get on a horse. Which are understandable on a horse, but on a Witcher? I can turn faster irl. Seriously.

3: Crossbow bolt trajectory. Its not a beach ball. Bolts are moving way to fast to have nearly that big an arc.

But other than that, combat is great! So I'm just hoping for a patch to fix this little issues, or failing that a mod. Until then I'll enjoy what does work. Which is a fair amount :)

I'm so tired of the Souls series being quoted as the paragon of good combat when so many other games get it right.

This^^
Not to mention, how its poor graphics and animations are given a free pass. You can't hit enemies through walls, but they can hit you.

dude stop useing rolls .. i use just dodges and omg the fights are so fluent

This.

I suggest using dodge almost exclusively, with roll just being an emergency escape move. It's very quick and keeps you at a distance where you can keep fighting. It's great for going sideways around enemies, especially when they attack; you can always get some hits in without needing to close the distance much. It find it feels good too since it seems like the kind of thing a fast swordsman like Geralt would do. Works against shield guys as well.

I'd also advise against heavy attack (especially on harder difficulties) unless you're absolutely certain it's gonna hit. It's slow (deliberately so I imagine), lots of monsters can dodge backwards and it leaves you too vulnerable, especially against groups.

Unpredictability? Well, I guess that's gonna be a matter of taste, even more than the rest of it. I like not knowing exactly what they're gonna do. I mean in the Souls series each enemy has 2-3 very specific animations and very strict behaviour but that's needed seeing as though it's done for the specific mechanics the game is based around.

Groups? I find picking on a target and then backing off as soon as they start to surround you essential. It's not like Shadow of Mordor or Batman which encourages you to go in the middle of large groups. I loved the combat in those games but it's pretty difficult to die. I think it took 5 hours or more before I lost a life in Mordor, even after charging into strongholds, and that was because of an unexpected QTE. TW1 had a group style of course but these two sequels are different I find. Letting enemies get around me in TW2&3 gets me in big trouble.

I agree with you that some animations for Geralt are a bit unpredictable. I simply only attack when I feel I'm sure to hit or I feel that at least if I miss, I won't be in too much trouble.

Lastly, use everything in conjunction with your sword. Potions, bombs, and, mainly, signs. A pack of wolves or ghouls might seem like an unruly pack of unpredictable maniacs, leaping and dodging all over the place but catch them two or three of them with Igni when they're near to each other and hey, presto! Two of them back off, one of them gets set alight, you focus on that one, kill it (or nearly), dodge back, get some room and by that time Igni is ready again. That kind of thing. I think the signs compliment the sword even more than in the other two games.

Not sure what else to suggest. Hope you get a feel for it or at least get used to it so it doesn't hamper your enjoyment of the rest of the game. Good luck.

EDIT: Just seen that you don't use roll much. Good on you :)

lol. I am actually enjoying the combat. Especially the parrying and counter attacking system. Just needs timing and concentration to enemy movements.

Dodge works fine for me against human opponents but it's not enough of a move against monsters. No one else found that?

well; what were you expecting?
I don't understand....how did you want the combat to be?
its fast, you can dodge and parry, enemies dodge and parry and stun, you have weak and strong attacks, dodge rolls, you can use signs and exploding barrels, horse combat and finishing moves.
I think they pretty much covered every base.

lets take Skyrim then: ok you have stealth archery which was way over powered. the rest...really a shambles of poor attacks and "power" moves. yes the enemies felt "solid" like hitting a sand bag, but that just made the combat feel like whacking a piñata!

so then we have games like Risen and suchlike...truly truly abysmal combat mechanics that entrenched in locked down techniques and unforgiving gameplay.

im honestly not sure exactly what you wanted or how it might have been changed for the better?
might have been nice to have some kind of stun attack like a kick etc...and maybe some true combo attacks.

You seem to misunderstand me because I'm not talking about the combat features. They are fine in my opinion. I'm talking about how they all work mechanically, both individually and when interacting together. My concern is the feeling of moving around, attacking and defending; It just doesn't feel very well crafted, intuitive or satisfying. Animations interrupt each other, the momentum throws you around unpredictably, attacks don't connect, you get stuck in objects, it's not visually understandable what Geralt or his enemies are doing most of the time etc. etc. These are just some of the things that causes my frustration.

Last edited:
The learning curve is definitely higher because of the plethora of combat animations, timings, ranges. But I think its rewarding that way.
Dodging is better in most situation because you maintain strikable distance to your enemy. But certain enemies's alternate attack animation covers the distance of your backwards dodge and fast enough so that you can't dodge twice; you must roll in those cases.

Loved the combat playing on the blood and broken bones mode, at first i got a little shock lots of new commands , and button changes . A few minutes into free sparing with Vesemir and i got the hang of it . great work : )

My only beef is with the sings system it's always so cumbersome to select the wanted sing, igni it's always easy hehe
And the potions system is ...gay , so i can eat bread and drink away while swinging my sword ... this is stuff for the bed wetter level : P not hard. the preparation was my favorite part _O_

I enjoy the combat very much.
Having to properly dodge enemies and time parries and strikes, especially when they are in large groups can be both challenging and fun. There are different ways to go about the fight as well.

I hope they add arena mode. With the improved combat it will be much better than in W2.

I am enjoying the combat, but I also agree very much with the OP.

Geralt's movement is very annoying as it is. I can't help but bump in every door frame, fence or post in my way.

I'm learning to work with it when possible and around it when not, but it sucks anyway.

When attacking an enemy I never know how much forward Geralt will advance and I end up not reaching my target. And if I get close, Geralt's advances too much and the enemey goes melee on me.

It seems to me that CDPR tried to get inspiration from Assassin's Creed and Batman games, but they didn't quite get it right.

maybe you broke it xD

I actually think it is more realistic that Geralt misses some attacks.. I mean yeah he is a witcher but that doesn't make him perfect right? Besides, adding tactics to the fight doesn't only make it more realistic too but makes it more challenging too. If you want some mindless hack-and-slash either play the game on easy or find another game to play ;)

I actually..... thought the same way at first.. i thought that.. my 7 years old mouse have already given up tortured by me... but... it is not..

Every game has it's own combat mechanics. You just have to cope with each of them. You will enjoy it if you'll stop thinking those other games that you find good.

Top Bottom