A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Verrenus,

Thanks very much for compiling this guide - I tried to read through the Nvidia Tweak Guide, but it was excessively long (although very detailed and very clearly written). This is a nice summary of the essentials that should work for everyone around here. Keep it going!

Thank you very much for the kind words, my friend! I am extremely glad to hear that you find the OP useful and rest assured - I will keep on working on it for a long, long time! :D

Evil Chris, my download says needs disc in drive E, but launches anyway. It crashes at diff spots, totally not playable at all. Clearly, it is a bad sign to be asking for disc. DO you guys know about this along with the constant crashing. It sure would seem relevant! I am on WIN 8.1, up to date perfect, no bugs. EVGA GTX 970 optimized for Wither 3, also up to date drivers. Deleted and re-downloaded game with same launch error message. My son owns Win 7 machine..He does not get that launch errors and his works perfect, no crashing. So what gives here? Tell me something.

@Verrenus

Do you know how one could go about doing the following?

So, playing on the PC with a controller, I'd like to be able to cast signs via shortcut buttons on the controller rather than opening the radial menu every time. Do you know how one could map buttons to cast various signs? For example, R2+X = Igni, R2+O = Aard, etc.?

Found on reddit
Removing immersion breaking message at left bottom about :
Gamepad detected.
Control scheme changed.

Credit goes to TiGeRpro

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36k02v/question_disable_the_gamepad_detected_box/

This sounds strange. But your method of removing that annoying massage, made the bug that i was having a problem with.. disappear

Probably the problem correlatees somehow.. must be something going on with the key bindings. At least in that mission about botchling,(sorry if spoiler)

I will update about the problem if it appears again. The only main annoyance with this solution is that... there is no cursor. This solution lock the control hints in HUD so that it shows the hints only for controller.

Another annoying thing: in inventory and shop screens i searched for a while for the corresponding keyboard buttons for LB RB (you will need it in inventory and shops to move about the pages exp: from inventory to quests) as. As it turns out it was PgUp and PgDn

n/b: the description of the problem that i found during combat about non working button:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...s-randomly-not-working)?p=1679475#post1679475

Don't know if it was posted but for Nvidia owners, try to set pre-rendered frames to 1 in control panel and maybe change the witcher3.exe priority process to high in task manager once the game starts. I know these two changes helped quite a bit in GTAV for stability and stuttering issues. :)

I have mine set to 4. Is that overkill?

I tried experimenting with The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\rendering.ini
[Rendering]
HairWorksAALevel=8
I turned this anti aliasing level to 1 which made a small impact to the quality of Geralt's and the horse's hair and I gained 1-5 FPS. Useful if one has only 30+ FPS because of ultra grapics. :) Setting the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 introduced some micro-stuttering for me.
I couldn't see any difference with ubersampling=1 setting. 2 caused a CTD. :)

I have just finished to play my first hour with The Witcher 3, I'm at the first village now.
My PC-Spec:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: AMD R9 270x Sapphire OC 2GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO.

Playing with setting High except for HairWorks (disabled) and using SSAO, disabled vsync and capped at 60 fps: I have 60fps stable.
If all above but vsync enabled I get microstuttering sometime.

Playing with setting Ultra except for HairWorks (disabled): 30fps stable, but it's very enjoyable.

Guys, this Red Engine is very good.

Copy that text into a new text file and save it with the file extension .reg
For example witcher_priority.reg, then double click on that file and click ok to confirm you want to add to the registry.

This should be in the OP. I couldn't find it in the registry.

Question, i don't have "MovieUberSampling" in my user settings.

Should/can i still add it to the list ?

Even when it's running at 60 during cutscenes ?

Use this registry entry so you don't have to set the priority every time you launch the game:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\witcher3.exe\PerfOptions] “CpuPriorityClass”=dword:00000003

Setting the CPU prio to high seems to have net me about 10-20 fps in certain spots, and while running around (3770k @ 4.4), Used Fraps to benchmark differences. I knew my CPU usage seemed low before. The fans weren't even ramping up. Well, they are now lol.

Last edited:
So after browsing hours for solution it seems i finally fixed it

I underclocked my gigabyte windforce 780ti core clock -105mhz and memory -170mhz with msi afterburner, forced the fps to 40 with msi afterburner and opened the fps lock ingame, also I turned of the nvidia stream shit for shield tabel and put the priority of witcher 3 to High in taskmanager, playing the game in mostly high settings, some things like water quality is on ultra, fullscreen 1920x1080

I7 4790k
GTX 780 TI Gigabyte Windforce with the latest driver(352,86)
8GB DDR3 Ram
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
256GB SSD Crucial MX100 with win 8.1 64bit

---------- Updated at 08:35 PM ----------

So after browsing hours for the solution of the random freezes and crashes it seems i finally fixed it

I underclocked my gigabyte windforce 780ti core clock -105mhz and memory -170mhz with msi afterburner, forced the fps to 40 with msi afterburner and opened the fps lock ingame, also I turned of the nvidia stream shit for shield tabel and put the priority of witcher 3 to High in taskmanager, playing the game in mostly high settings, some things like water quality is on ultra, fullscreen 1920x1080

I7 4790k
GTX 780 TI Gigabyte Windforce with the latest driver(352,86)
8GB DDR3 Ram
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
256GB SSD Crucial MX100 with win 8.1 64bit

cant edit my first post sorry

ive been looking far and wide for a way to increase the lightning distance (torches, campfires mainly) since i can see them being "lit" when i get close (50 meters away) id very much like to increase this distance since i have some overhead performance to work with =)

but so far i cannot find anything that relates to lightning distance in the ini's or xml's

Guys,I just found out something that made the game playable on my laptop. He's a i7 4700, 8GB, with a Geforce 750M. I've just switched the Physix processor from GPU to CPU on the Nvidia control panel. Hope it helps!

i dont know how to underclock it using msi afterburner ...

if you have guide that can help me it will be great

All I did was search for the specs of the reference card on Google and then type in the difference with a minus in front of it in the fields in afterburner. Didn't help me at all though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom