"You cannot save right now" (Game breaker bug)

+
Had the exact same problem and can confirm it happened after the game was suspended when turning my Xbox off.

Same issue here, I had to turn off my Xbox one unplug it and restart it to work. Pretty sure this game does not like being put in suspend/resume mode as it seemed to happen after I did that. I'm going to save very often and restart my console when I hit this bug until they fix it.

Happens to me after resuming using "Xbox Instant On". Put your Xbox into "Energy Saving Mode" until the bug is fixed. Glad I only lost about 45 mins before finding this out.

It is happening to me as well on PC though. I can't save my games at all. It just doesn't let me and Quick Save is not working....I hope this gets resolved too v.v I lost 4 hrs of gameplay

Exact same thing. Happened when I tried to save too fast after talking to a conversation one too many times.

This happened on my PS4. Tried to restart, and I was unable to quit, or even force quit the application (presumably because it was stuck in a locked save loop). Had to hard reset.

Am now backing up all my saves on USB, but two of the files were listed as CORRUPTED DATA. Wonder how many hours I have lost, or if I can even save again.

This bug is indeed game breaking and should be a massive priority.

Exact same thing. Happened when I tried to save too fast after talking to a conversation one too many times.

This happened on my PS4. Tried to restart, and I was unable to quit, or even force quit the application (presumably because it was stuck in a locked save loop). Had to hard reset.

Am now backing up all my saves on USB, but two of the files were listed as CORRUPTED DATA. Wonder how many hours I have lost, or if I can even save again.

This bug is indeed game breaking and should be a massive priority.

I agree with you 100% yet there is no confirmation of an existing bug or even a reply from the team =/ Kind of worrysome tbh

I agree with you 100% yet there is no confirmation of an existing bug or even a reply from the team =/ Kind of worrysome tbh

Yup. I tweeted the witcher page Last night about it but nothing yet and I was finding nothing about it when googling the problem either.

As shit as it is that its happening the rest of you, I was kind of relieved to see there was actually something about it when I got up this morning. Hope this gets patched pronto!

Quick update for my PS4 version. After hard reset I loaded the game again, and went to my second last save game, which luckily wasn't too far back.

Once in I found that I could save again and promptly overrid the corrupted save. They displayed an in-game message saying that the save was corrupted and would be deleted. And it was replaced successfully with my new save.

After playing a little longer, the message popped up again, this time for the autosave. Which means that is now working again also.

(at least the mechanics of dealing with corrupted save data is nicely coded)

So it is good to know that there is a way out of it. I will take a big pause before opening up the menu to save after any cutscene / interaction.

Still, others were not as lucky as me and this needs to be made aware of and fixed.

After playing all day i took a 30min break and went back to the game to find the save was back at 9:23am this morning so lost about 6hours of game time.

The save at 9:23 was just before i put the xbox in suspended mode as popped out to the shops.

When i came back and carried on everytime i went to manual save it came up "Cant save at this moment in time" I thought that might be because i was on a main story mission and just carried on like normal.

So rather pissed at the moment after all days play time has been lost which is making me not want to play the game now.....so mad

After playing all day i took a 30min break and went back to the game to find the save was back at 9:23am this morning so lost about 6hours of game time.

The save at 9:23 was just before i put the xbox in suspended mode as popped out to the shops.

When i came back and carried on everytime i went to manual save it came up "Cant save at this moment in time" I thought that might be because i was on a main story mission and just carried on like normal.

So rather pissed at the moment after all days play time has been lost which is making me not want to play the game now.....so mad

I don't blame you for not wanting to play the game and being mad. I was as well....I wish we can get a confirmation of a bug like this actually existing from the team but still nothing. I know they are probably swamped with work though so all we can really do is wait....I really want to play the game though but the fear of loosing my data is too great atm :/

I don't blame you for not wanting to play the game and being mad. I was as well....I wish we can get a confirmation of a bug like this actually existing from the team but still nothing. I know they are probably swamped with work though so all we can really do is wait....I really want to play the game though but the fear of loosing my data is too great atm :/

Understand that they must be so busy but this is a HUGE bug that shouldnt have been in the game, looking foward to the game for so long, pre-ordered and cleared my day off today to play it and all for nothing.

Hope it gets fixed soon otherwise it will be another game on the shelf gathering dust as i cant stand replaying the same things over because of no fault of my own

Can't believe this isn't a bigger deal for players. When googling this problem, I found only this thread and a few comments on the Witcher subreddit...and a few angry YouTube videos.As far as the issue goes on Xbox, the problem is definitely rooted in the suspend/resume function. If you set your Xbox to power saving mode (so that it shuts off completely every time), this should fix the problem and allow you to save, though of course you'll lose all unsaved progress to date.I have also found that quitting the game entirely through the main menu will also work...allowing you to keep the Xbox in "instant on" mode.But this needs to be fixed...did game devs not fully test this?!

Agreed. I'm glad I found it before I put a lot of hours into it...I would've been pissed too. The fact that we have over 3000+ in this post means people are worried and concerned about this unsolved issue. Hoping we get more views so it can bring it to the developers attention.

It is a game breaker bug. I've repeated scenes 3 times already....killing my immersion.

Same problem here on Xbone. Had it auto-save before talking to a merchant and I guess the file is now corrupt, cannot manually save and there have been no auto saves... but I've put in about 4 hours into the game past that point. Don't know if I should expect a fix and keep playing, or just cut my loss. Guess I should know better than to buy a game on launch.

Same problem here on Xbone. Had it auto-save before talking to a merchant and I guess the file is now corrupt, cannot manually save and there have been no auto saves... but I've put in about 4 hours into the game past that point. Don't know if I should expect a fix and keep playing, or just cut my loss. Guess I should know better than to buy a game on launch.

I know what you mean, seems like buying Triple A titles on launch now a days seems like a bad idea. Although I understand that now games are more complex and more developed, it doesn't excuse the fact that a bug like this one makes it out on release date without getting noticed.

I would cut your losses as if they issue a fix then you will have to leave the game to apply the fix.

Top Bottom