Ingredients, Witcher potions and Meditaion

+
Ingredients, Witcher potions and Meditaion

Hi guys
Since the moment I can craft Cat, Swallow and so on I ask Myself why I collect herbs and stuff..?! I just can craft them one time and after it refill automatically in Meditation-mode if you have strong alcoholics... So just one time gather the ingredients and then endless potions? Sorry This part buggs me a lot. The game is great and the amount of gameplay-details are awesome. Just this little thing disturb me until now. I want to search the woods for ingredients to brew potions (one of them^^) to overcome strong enemies or other situations.

With bombs and the other stuff in the alchemy I have no clue didnt used them until now. Or could it be because of my difficult level? That its a help for beginners?
If yes it to easy... I started the second hardest and here I want to craft my stuff one by one.

Also where is the logic? You craft, for example, 3 cats at once. Then they are empty. Now you mix the little rest with strong alcohol and you have 3 full effective Cat potions again. What shall I do with all my ingredients I gathered in the last 20 hours? Shall I sell them throw them away?

And that the alchemy mode and the meditation mode are not together any more... is not so bad but since it is like that I barely use meditation. My Geralt didnt sleep or rest for weeks now^^ poor thing.

So what do you think about that... easy alchemy mode in a hard game?

Ps.:^^ Its still a great game no matter what. But for the future I want to craft my witcher-potions alone.

Exactly the frustration I'm having. I just can't leave a plant alone, gathered large bunches of different leaves and flowers only to find out I need a couple of each. What's the point of saturating the world with all these plants if you only ever need to pick them once or twice?
And just as you said, the logic behind refilling everything with a bottle of alcohol eludes me as well. Are bombs and potions like felt-tip pens?

The crafting the Swallow took me about 3 hours to find the right things. You will need thoose plants because you will be able to upgrade the potions, which will need plants and such, but you need to find "blueprints" to do so.

Personal preference i think. If it was that you had to craft every potion you wanted to use everytime, there would probably be a post just like yours saying "out of my 10 hours game play i have spent 6 looking for ingredients"

Some people, like yourself, enjoy foraging for ingredients.......... personally i find it a grind (i still hate how much time i wasted in Red Dead Redemption looking for bloody flowers!!!).

I like the way the mechanic works personally, means there's more time for more enjoyable things to do in the world!

Personal preference i think. If it was that you had to craft every potion you wanted to use everytime, there would probably be a post just like yours saying "out of my 10 hours game play i have spent 6 looking for ingredients"

Some people, like yourself, enjoy foraging for ingredients.......... personally i find it a grind (i still hate how much time i wasted in Red Dead Redemption looking for bloody flowers!!!).

I like the way the mechanic works personally, means there's more time for more enjoyable things to do in the world!

Mhh maybe... but if I remember correctly in the past it was like this.. W1 and W2... why the change? Did they get a lot of critic? If you could craft every potion you can also store as much as you want... not just 3. But I will see how this upgrade thing is. At this point I want to say I like how the potions in this game works. The balancing.

Last edited:
Well you do need the excess ingredients for upgrading the current potions to a stronger version(provided that you have the alchemy plan).

Plus.. they dont take much space so its not a problem. Just upgrade your saddlebag early on if you manage to, I was lucky and found a 70 space saddlebag at 4 hours in the game.

Yeah^^ I found that one, too, just 5 minutes ago.. never ever space problems XD maybe not.

Nevertheless.. In the case of the potion crafting I miss something. Maybe I have to get used to it, but I think I would rather see an "optional" crafting system (if some guys like this system more)

Last edited:
Can anyone see how much alcohol you have left? My stuff was being refilled with alcohest. For the life of me I couldn't see it on my inventory. But it kept being used to refill the potions. Was it infinite? I dunno. I'd like to know.

Then, I noticed dwarven spirit was being used. So I thought... uh oh, my alcohest must be over. I knew I didn't have a lot of dwarven spirit on my inventory, so I started saving potions. But maybe the change to dwarven spirit had to do with one of the upgrades I did for one of my potions. And maybe the use of the alcohols doesn't really deplete them from your inventory, as if you were using only a little of it. Anyone know?

I'm loving the system so far - using it a lot. But I wanna know if the stuff has some scarcety or if it's really infinite. I don't wanna be saving stuff when I could be using it. And I also don't wanna run out of alcohol in the middle of a dungeon.

Can anyone see how much alcohol you have left? My stuff was being refilled with alcohest. For the life of me I couldn't see it on my inventory. But it kept being used to refill the potions. Was it infinite? I dunno. I'd like to know.

Then, I noticed dwarven spirit was being used. So I thought... uh oh, my alcohest must be over. I knew I didn't have a lot of dwarven spirit on my inventory, so I started saving potions. But maybe the change to dwarven spirit had to do with one of the upgrades I did for one of my potions. And maybe the use of the alcohols doesn't really deplete them from your inventory, as if you were using only a little of it. Anyone know?

I'm loving the system so far - using it a lot. But I wanna know if the stuff has some scarcety or if it's really infinite. I don't wanna be saving stuff when I could be using it. And I also don't wanna run out of alcohol in the middle of a dungeon.

Its the Red bottle in the ingredients tab. Press " F " to sort them out and check it 1 by 1 if you have a lot of ingredients.

Well the Texture and color of the Alcohest is RED, so it should be pretty easy to find out.

Thanks, dude! Maybe I was searching it in the consumable section and that's why I hadn't found it. Though I kinda thought I had looked everywhere.

This should be enough to clear some of my doubts. I wanna check my alcohols, meditate and see if they're actually consumed.

I also find that the alchemy system has been simplified a bit too much. Maybe if the ingredients initially collected were enough to make a certain amount of potions, but not an unlimited amount. Also the alcohol is automatically used to refill potions if you meditate, instead of you being able to refill it yourself.

I also find that the alchemy system has been simplified a bit too much. Maybe if the ingredients initially collected were enough to make a certain amount of potions, but not an unlimited amount. Also the alcohol is automatically used to refill potions if you meditate, instead of you being able to refill it yourself.

Yes^^ but at least more than 3... Or depending on the difficulty.
Some u dont need often like cat. But if you could choose how much you craft it doesnt matter. nobody would craft 100 potions... gathering the materials would take ages. But right now in some situations I would like to craft some more swallow potions.

The moment I started this thread I didnt know about the upgrade.maybe i will like it later. but what if I upgraded all my potions... what about the ingredients? Endless money on the ground. or used to craft oil and bombs, I think.

Until know I did not had problems with toxicity... what is the maximum at the beginning? 50 or 100?

Last edited:
The toxicity max is 100. I think each potion adds 25 in toxicity.

I guess it's not so bad if you still have to gather ingredients for bombs and oils. I'll have to play a bit longer to see if I get used to the new system.

I wish they would have left an option for needing to gathering alchemy ingredients for every potion. I understand they did it this way to cut down on the grind... but why punish us people that take PRIDE in earning our potions by looking for and gathering plants? its not a grind given that the plants are THERE like 2 feet away from you every time you go to any quest or just explore.

Same thing with the XP gained from mobs. If we take pride in putting in work to become stronger, why punish us? there should have been an option so that people that want to be given levels can get them, and for us that like to earn them, earn them. I personally love me to get mah grind on.

I wanted to sell all my Alcohest in order to have to gather ingredients and brew refills manually. But every potion needs 1 Dwarven Spirit, which is a rare loot and costs FIFTY CROWNS a bottle.
Why was this Dwarven Spirit designed into every potion recipe, you ask? I'm still trying to understand.

Just saw that I can use Oil several times, if not endless. This make sense one bottle of oil should at least last for several usages.

I wanted to sell all my Alcohest in order to have to gather ingredients and brew refills manually. But every potion needs 1 Dwarven Spirit, which is a rare loot and costs FIFTY CROWNS a bottle.
Why was this Dwarven Spirit designed into every potion recipe, you ask? I'm still trying to understand.

Because it is an alcohol and every potion takes alcohol as a basic. Don't worry when you loot everything you will get mass amounts of Dwarven Spirit. I have about 30 at the moment.

Last edited:
Because it is an alcohol and every potion takes alcohol as a basic. Don't worry when you loot everything you will get mass amounts of Dwarven Spirit. I have about 30 at the moment.

That's a relief, thank you.
Though this discussion is pointless because if you already made a poition once, the game doesn't allow you to make it again - "you already have this potion." Which sucks major balls.

That's a relief, thank you.
Though this discussion is pointless because if you already made a poition once, the game doesn't allow you to make it again - "you already have this potion." Which sucks major balls.

Just meditate for 1 hour and your will replenish them. I actually find this quite nice. In TW1 and TW2 I never experimented with potions or other blade oils. I just didn't. Why should I? Swallow basicly carried me through the game. With the new system I find myself experimenting with the potions way more often which is a good thing in my book. :)

Top Bottom