Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
the only grass quality that come close to W3 is from GTAV and we know how taxing that insanity is, some of the grass might not be all top notch but if you consider the amount of it around you the filed of view and the wind physics you start to understand that there was no way around

also am pretty its gonna the first thing to mod, and dont forget that you can increase the view distance and density of foliage with ini tweaks

Last edited:
Which game has more foliage than Witcher 3? I mean there is so many trees etc. if you have ultra settings, that's why they can't be high resolution.

the only grass quality that come close to W3 is from GTAV and we know how taxing that insanity is, some of the grass might not be all top notch but if you consider the amount of it around you the filed of view and the wind physics you start to understand that there was no way around

also am pretty its gonna the first thing to mod, and dont forget that you can increase the view distance and density of foliage with ini tweaks

You're right GTA's highest setting is very taxing, but it's not only due to the density of the grass it also includes shadowing of every piece of grass in the vicinity, which is very taxing. It's not about the density though in W3, the grass shadowing is very sparse without ini tweaks, but the main thing is how it looks, I mean some of the flower look almost like 2D sprites, I know that is an exaggeration, but they look bad, and no other open world game released in the last year has grass that looks like that.

---------- Updated at 09:07 PM ----------

Which game has more foliage than Witcher 3? I mean there is so many trees etc. if you have ultra settings, that's why they can't be high resolution.

More foilage? Probably not many games, but GTA V and Dragon Age certainly have a whole lot of it. And for the record a high resolution texture normally isn't very taxing on anything but the vram, now if you add tesselation and physics and stuff like that sure.

Last edited:
Yea actually i was wondering about Gpu memory usage in this game. Why its only using 1-2gb from my 3gb with 1080p resolution? I have tried so many tweaks but just can't increase memory usage for Gpu, like texture streaming distances etc.

I'll be honest here, after playing this game for 23 hours (not 23 hours straight, I took breaks) I have to speak my mind about the graphics.

Are the graphics great?

Yes, they are lovely.

BUT

I sometimes can't help but notice how ugly certain textures are, I think after seeing the effects myself... has it been downgraded? Yes the game has, it's a shame but what can you do? Some textures, even on ultra settings have almost the same quality as textures in TES: Morrowind, a game from 2002. Seriously some textures are horribly bad. They need to release a high-res texture pack, at least that or I hope modders will do it. It doesn't make the game unplayable for me, it's just that compared with other things some of these textures are just absolutely horrible to look at.

Running on ultra settings on my GTX970, without hairworks I'm almost stable at 60 fps, in some areas dropping to 40-50. The game runs really smooth. But I'm really hoping for either lighting improvements, and/or texture improvements.

Now I need to sleep.

Yea actually i was wondering about Gpu memory usage in this game. Why its only using 1-2gb from my 3gb with 1080p resolution? I have tried so many tweaks but just can't increase memory usage for Gpu, like texture streaming distances etc.

Honestly, I have no idea, the one thing that new consoles have is VRAM they have 4gb of it. Why they wouldn't utilize that for high resolution textures is beyond me. As far as I know, it would be for little or no performance costs. It would increase load times possibly. I'm not an expert, but from my experience and what I've read performance isn't effected by high resolution texture until you hit your vram limit.

Hey man, I love the game and I'm sure most other people love it too. I think the game looks great, it is not ugly by any stretch of the imagination, we just expected it to be on par with the likes of GTA V, Assassin's Creed and Dragon Age. Most probably expected it to look better. The foilage and tesselation just doesn't look very good and this is something that's been in PC games for years now. We wanted them to put time and effort in producing higher quality assets for the PC version, I think it's evident that they didn't and just plastered Nvidia Hairworks on top of a game with console settings. There is virtually no difference between low and ultra on a couple of settings. The game is basically one size fits all, that only changes when you add hairworks or you don't.

Look, I applaug CDPR for making this game and respect the hell out of them and all that, but you have to admit they didn't put a lot of effort into the PC version. It's unfortunate, but you know it's true.

I get what your saying. And I'm not saying it's unreasonable to feel disappointment or even upset. But there comes a point where you just have to step back and take a look at the whole picture.

GTA or ACU don't offer anywhere near the same content or content of such depth as W3. So W3 doesn't look as good. They don't offer the immersion. ACU was an absolute buggy mess. The story was weak, the characters/V.O and script were dry. Your actions meant nothing. The NPCs static window dressing. The quests were busy work.

GTA was obviously leagues above ACU in all of the above. But the same still applies in comparison to the W3 in terms of it's world, what it allows you to do, where it allows you to go, what it allows you to see and hear.

The game is so rich with immersion. How can you not chalk off the downgrade and move on content and happy with what it does offer in comparison to those games rather than what it quite doesn't?

To the point of cancelling pre orders, screaming to the heavens and generally crapping on CDPR in every place that offers an avenue to vent.

I don't mean you personally, I'm talking in general. Because I've been eagerly following this game for years in the background on YT Reddit and here ect and all of them are flooded with people complaining and complaining and pointing fingers at peasant console users and CDPR dragging everyone down or at least attempting to.

You know, all this complaining and "drilling the point home" does more harm than good.

The funny thing is. Going back to comparisons.

People keep bringing up modded Skyrim compared to W3.

First off stop comparing a modded game to vanilla.

2nd. Bethesda didn't make those mods. They supported the Modding the community. Which surprise surprise. CDPR too.

So what's the point? You're comparing a modded game, supported by the developers to have mods, to a vanilla game, who's developers are supporting modders to make mods for THEIR game.... But with no mods out yet... Because it's just come out.....How is CDPRs fault and a slight on the game?

W3 looks a billion times better than Vanilla Skyrim and an ocean an of depth and soul in comparison.

Anyway This got long winded ages ago so I'll stop.

I get your point I just think you have to draw the line at some point so you aren't crossing over to the point of harming a company who genuinely cares for it's games and source material. In the long run. You can only lose.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed the famous "wall" at Novigrad still looks nothing like it used to. That's one mean, sharp edge it has now, where it used to be delicious looking.

I think the graphics of this game (pc version with top settings save for hairworks) are very impressive, especially when you do some ini tweaks and even more when you use a good sweetfx setting. From what little of the map I have seen so far, this game graphically impresses me just as much as GTA V does and perhaps a bit more.

I game on my (fully calibrated) TV which I feel gives a far better representation of how good games can look than on monitors. The reason for that is contrast ratio where monitors are fairly mediocre and you can miss out on a lot of what's there graphically.

Quite frankly, I have no idea how anyone could say this game doesn't look great.

where are all the nvidia EFFECTS ?

there was a video of NVIDIA featuring witcher 3 and it was supposed to have : bloom shafts , aerial perspective fog , volume based transulency, semi volumetric clouds , forward lit soft particles , water tesselation can t see none of this , the only nvidia effect is hairworks and hbao+ . Why they removed them ?

It's no wonder company's treat gamers like nothing more cash cows they can line up for the milking. Look at what E.A did to Dungeon Keeper. Square Enix with Final Fantasy..... And here CDPR, who pour their heart into something they are legitimately passionate about (And it SHOWS) for us to enjoy... And what happens. 1 thing doesn't turn out as first intended (1 bad thing out of the countless positives which make this game special and unique to all the other souless trash produced out there just to make a buck from you) And it's fans and buyers can't appreciate that they are on to a good thing enough to put that to 1 side and enjoy the amazing game and cut CDPR some well deserved slack for their years of hard work. And it's not even like the game looks bad anyway. And people really need to stop comparing this game to games of much lesser scope. "Well CRYSIS... Yada yada yada" Crysis? .... Really!? lol. And you wonder why most of these companys couldn't give a flying about you and your wants as a gamer? It's a 2 way street you know. You want certain things, then you're going to have to learn when to compromise and know when to fight and when to let things go I could go on but I think I've made my point. Sorry if the post seems inflammatory but I had to vent at the sheer lack of perspective. Anyway I'm going back to enjoy the game for what it is, and not protest for what it isn't.
Why should you be the only one to present a statement or argument? Why can't other who disagree with how cdprojekts handled there game. What some of us where expecting in witcher 3 we didn't exactly get. I don't believe we all say that witcher 3 sucks. Its a great game. But some of us expected more from what they showed us early on. Cdprojekts captured my attention when they showed me 2 years ago some of the most amazing graphics I've seen. I was like holy shit this I have to get this I have to support. When I finally got the game I was like it ok.. but Not amazing. I didn't have that feeling. Now with the inventory bug.. Its game breaking.. Normally I get this fuzzy feeling when I play a new game. I'm not getting that with witcher 3.

just saw this in a comment on eurogamer, thought it might be appropriate lol

Bought it but not playing the game - yet :)

So, I just wanted to say:

Thank you for making that awesome game! I liked the previous ones so it was some sort of natural decision to buy that game.
I also like how CDPR focuses on the player's experience by allowing modding and removing silly restrictions and annoyances like DRM.
In this light I preordered the game on GOG.com - and it's still there waiting to be downloaded.

Now why am I not playing the game right now?

Because I believe (and don't get me wrong, there are no facts to support this, it's just a belief) that CDPR did intentionally downgrade the graphics. It very much looks to me like that was done to cater for consoles.
I can very much see some sort of agreement with console producers that demand for all versions to look the same at release and for a certain period beyond - because if there were huge differences right off from the start, who would still go for consoles then? Console producers want to sell their products, and right now, The Witcher 3 is one of the key products to sell them. This wouldn't work if everyone knew that there were a version out there that looks almost twice as good.

Of course this can't go on forever - games can be patched. Technology evolves. All good excuses. So I do expect (again, it's just an idea of mine, not an expectiation in the sense of entitlement) that CDPR will hand out a patch that adapts the game to "current" advances in technology - and miraculously looks a lot better. Which doesn't matter at that point, as the consoles that used TW3 as a selling point have already been sold at that time. People who own a PS4 or Xbox can't bring the console back just because one of their games now looks a lot better on PC.

CDPR needed console versions to finance the game.
Console producers need selling points to sell their products. The Witcher 3 is definitely one of them (watch the ads on TV right now).

It's natural for such an agreement to happen - it did before and this is not the only industry to handle things that way.

I'll wait and see - and play the game when it looks the way it should, I guess it won't be long. 6 months maybe, autumn is the perfect time for such a game anyway. I trust in the pedigree of CDPR. And even if I had waited then for nothing - the story won't be worse at that point, and that's the other reason I want to play the game. I can't lose by waiting, I can only win.

So, I just wanted to say:

Thank you for making that awesome game! I liked the previous ones so it was some sort of natural decision to buy that game.
I also like how CDPR focuses on the player's experience by allowing modding and removing silly restrictions and annoyances like DRM.
In this light I preordered the game on GOG.com - and it's still there waiting to be downloaded.

Now why am I not playing the game right now?

Because I believe (and don't get me wrong, there are no facts to support this, it's just a belief) that CDPR did intentionally downgrade the graphics. It very much looks to me like that was done to cater for consoles.
I can very much see some sort of agreement with console producers that demand for all versions to look the same at release and for a certain period beyond - because if there were huge differences right off from the start, who would still go for consoles then? Console producers want to sell their products, and right now, The Witcher 3 is one of the key products to sell them. This wouldn't work if everyone knew that there were a version out there that looks almost twice as good.

Of course this can't go on forever - games can be patched. Technology evolves. All good excuses. So I do expect (again, it's just an idea of mine, not an expectiation in the sense of entitlement) that CDPR will hand out a patch that adapts the game to "current" advances in technology - and miraculously looks a lot better. Which doesn't matter at that point, as the consoles that used TW3 as a selling point have already been sold at that time. People who own a PS4 or Xbox can't bring the console back just because one of their games now looks a lot better on PC.

CDPR needed console versions to finance the game.
Console producers need selling points to sell their products. The Witcher 3 is definitely one of them (watch the ads on TV right now).

It's natural for such an agreement to happen - it did before and this is not the only industry to handle things that way.

I'll wait and see - and play the game when it looks the way it should, I guess it won't be long. 6 months maybe, autumn is the perfect time for such a game anyway. I trust in the pedigree of CDPR. And even if I had waited then for nothing - the story won't be worse at that point, and that's the other reason I want to play the game. I can't lose by waiting, I can only win.

Yeah and let's also remind that patches is a good way to show the attitude of the company towards the players. Same way than free DLCs, now patches and support have become (thanks to the video game industry, not CDPR) a marketing resource. Anyways, as long as marketing is a different way to achieve the same, hped and desired reults, I can say I'm fine :)

@Millian

I think that no matter how many smoke/fire effects, textures lighting etc. updgrades CDPR delivers, downgrade talk wont end before that damned, infamous, now almost legendary wall corner is restored to its 35 min-gameplay state :D

I'd actually love CDPR to put some NPCs there, 'installing' new corner stones into that wall.

Now honestly, are we really that far off from what we were shown 2 years ago?

I just took this shot, cranked up everything up to ultra and tweaked the colour balance (SweetFX style)

@Mezziaz

No we aren't, all those people complaining I really wonder are we even playing the same game...

Differences are really that dust and 2013 close-up grass looks better.
On the other hand if you look at distances current build has equal drawing distance and lot more trees and other stuff, so I'd say all in all it's actually improvement.

EDIT: omg I didn't even realize it was same exact location, just look at yhose houses and village on the hill further away, they are same.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-05-21 21-06-43.jpg
    Screenshot from 2015-05-21 21-06-43.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Now honestly, are we really that far off from what we were shown 2 years ago?I just took this shot, cranked up everything up to ultra and tweaked the colour balance (SweetFX style)
I am looking forward to getting home today and trying SweetFX. I have never used it before but it almost seems necessary for this game. They really messed up the color balance, IMO. The screenshots I have seen from some SweetFX presets fix almost all of the graphical issues I have with the game (foliage and colors). Which are you using? Is there any risk of presets crashing my game and requiring a re-install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom