NEWCOMER RECOMMENDATION: do not play before reading the books

+
NEWCOMER RECOMMENDATION: do not play before reading the books

I'm on book 4 (2nd of the saga) and I need to let newcomers know my opinion- do not play without reading.

I am now learning about geralt+yennifer+ciri+wildhunt and i think this is critical- I do not think it is the same without having all the back story. Why are you looking for ciri? who is yennifer, really? You do not know that without the books.

I have played TW3 for about an hour up to the castle scene after killing the gryphon, and there was at least 10 book references and things that would be lost on you otherwise. in thevery first scene, even, it references stuffed unicorn sex, from the book.

I think back to tw2- all the responses that were lost on me- characters I did not know, but geralt knew or has aresponse to- these were countless, and I probably would have known if I had read the books.

Its excrutiating, knowing I can't play until i read another 3.5 books, but its worth it.

i agree, but theyre just to long, i started reading the last wish i think its called, but i cant stop myself looking at the scroll thingy and realise its gonna take ages, lol i was hoping i could just rush through them, but nah, aint happening. i got thwe reference to nekkeke though, the preistess and was like, oh yeah from the book.

I finished the books before starting Witcher 3..I imported a W1&W2 save...when I had that dialogue with Yen ( minor spoilers from prologue of game and regarding romance)
Yennefer about telling Triss I loved her I felt a bit bad because I really want to pursue Yennefer on my canon playthrough and I feel bad that my playthrough I slept with every girl available but focused on Triss (since she was the only one available at that time..Yen even calls me out on that which kinds sucks.

Only if you read the books beforehand you would've known before even starting the games (and if you wanted) to do a full faithful playthrough by bedding no woman and going for Yennefer only..I wonder the dialogue would be.

Because Yen said that she doesn't care if Geralt fools around with other women as long as he only loves her (which he does) so yeah. :(

On one hand I want to do the same as previous two games and bed every main female character I can and technically focus on Yennefer over TRiss.>I do wonder how much the dialogue changes if you only pursue her and decline any other.

Anyway regarding the issue at hand..having read the books it boosts my immersion so much it's mind boggling, especially when I met certain characters from there..or references or even books about them.

Last edited:
Well I haven't read any books or finished any other Witcher game, but have no problem making out whats going on. It's kind of fun to play a game where characters are already established and I myself am putting together the pieces as I play along.

Well I haven't read any books or finished any other Witcher game, but have no problem making out whats going on. It's kind of fun to play a game where characters are already established and I myself am putting together the pieces as I play along.

trust me. it is a lot more fulfilling to understand what's being said and what is going on. I think back to all the countless times i had no idea what geralt was talking about in tw2 and i attributed it to amnesia or whatever, but really, you know from the books.

I mean.. like I said, the first scene in tw3, the FIRST, talks about the stuffed unicorn- yeah you don't need to read the books to make out that he did yen on it, but, it's much sweeter if you know the reference.

and especially since the game is focused on yen and ciri.. you don't even know who ciri is, based on tw2 (I don't think.. maybe a reference or 2) so you lack emotional attatchment to these, the 2 loves of your life, and thus, I think you need to read the books, force yourself if need be, to get that emotional connection

and moreover, the books provide much needed information- it tells you about the hunt, WHAT ciri is (as in the elder blood stuff), etc. that the games don't.
the games tell you that you got stabbed and yen saved you and you got anmesia and ciri disappeared, and that is the needed minimum, but the minimum is just not enough, imho.

as another example:

at the castle early on, you meet the king of nilfguard, saying he wants you to find his daughter ciri. well... that makes no sense if you haven't read the books.

Last edited:

Well, it is not really about understanding of what is going on. For this you only need to play a game in a language you are familiar with. There is nothing obscure or unintelligible about some guy, who is an emperor, hiring another guy, who is a witcher, to find his missing daughter. So newcomers won't get lost. But people who read the books would know much more - who this girl is, what is her connection to Geralt and Yen, how on bloody green earth Geralt and Yen even came to know a daughter of the emperor, what happened between all of them in the past, and so on. There is a crap-load of back-story behind TW3 (8 novels and two games), and for the fans of TW world (novels+games) TW3 is simply ravishingly amazing, and not just a great RPG.

I haven't read the books and I was able ti piece together the backstory just fine from the info provided in the games.

If you are intrested in the plot and the Witcher world, it's recommended to read the books before playing. First and foremost it's right to explore the world as created by the original author mr.Sapkovski and give him credit, even if CDPR's story writers are top notch.

And then lead writer mr.Blacha confirmed personally that the game, although accessible to the newcomers, has many reference to the books. And specifically warned me that since this chapter is the conclusion of Geralt's adventure by CDPR, the ending is really strong and maybe someone would not be prone to read the saga AFTER having experienced it. So I'm warning you, too :)

I am new to the Witcher series. I have not read the books or played the other games. I have read the Withcer Wiki and watched some of the videos on the lore. I think the game does a good job of explaining things.

yeah i have 4 witchers books and ive only finished the first of the saga. This game does a bad job of explaining whats going on and explaining what ahs happened.

It is easy to say "i understand and I know" from the other side, but no, you don't. you lack the context and backstory.

Yes, it tells you that geralt died, ciri isappeared, etc. but its minimal. it doesn't give you the back story. like vovax said.

I have been on both sides. i played tw1 and tw2 fine. I was not 'lost' per'se, but looking back, I know I missed out. and tw3 is VERY MUCH different because it is based on 2 characters that arent heavily introduced, and they star in the books.

I haven't read the books but can't imagine anyone would know what is going on without playing the previous games.

After reading this thread and not playing the witcher 1 or 2, I'm considering reading the books first. This gives the game time to mature (patches and mods). I don't feel like playing the first two games as I'm more into open worlds (even semi open worlds) being an MMO player and loving games like Skyrim and GTA 5. I'm curious for those that read the whole series...just how many do I need to read? I'm assuming it is in this order right?1) Last Wish2) The Sword of Destiny3) Blood of Elves4) The Time of Content5) Baptism of Fire6) The Tower of the Swallow7) The Lady of the Lake (I read this is a prequel to Blood of elves. Should I read it before that even though it was the last one released? lol).Do I really have to read all 7? lol. Is this the right order? I noticed the extended addition came out with "

---------- Updated at 03:41 AM ----------

I cant seem to edit my last post. The end was supposed to say "I noticed the extended addition came out with a book as well, but not sure if there is any reason to get that instead of reading all of these."

Top Bottom