Person in distress in velen no key bug

+
Person in distress in velen no key bug

I killed every bandit including the leader for the person in distress north of the hanged man's tree in velen. However i have not found a key to the cage and can't find a way to open it.
I have since restarted the game and bandits appear there but this time no leader so again no key.
Any ideas?

I haven't restarted the game but I'm unable the find the key as well.

All the bandits are dead. I've run around the area with witcher senses, harvesting plants/looting so it's all clear. Nothing.

Unless I've counted wrong, there were four bandits, each on horseback. No "Bandit Leader".

The merchant says "Let me out, I beg ye! Key's around here somewhere! It's gotta be!"

(Note, I had been in this area earlier when I was level 3 [I went back to the first area and did more exploring and came back] and at one time I did see a red skull over an enemy and I just ran for it, that may have been the bandit leader but.. where did he go?)

PC 1.02

edit 1: I just restored from an earlier save and tried to do it again. There is no bandit leader. I double checked for each bandit. (And this time the merchant doesn't say the line about let me out.) one more try and then I let him starve to death.

edit 2: Tried it 3 more times, exact same result each time. One odd thing, one bandit horse always stays 'combat' (can't hurt it though but it will attack) and is red with witcher senses.

edit 3: will retry with PC 1.03 sometime today. It's not mentioned in patch notes but never know.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem, no matter where I look or how many times I come back after a fast travel to try find the key, it's no where. I've picked up the "unsent letter" twice and read over it a million times but don't really see where it might point to where the key is hidden via context clues.
I'm either seriously overlooking something or the key location is bugged out. >>

Also having this problem. One of the men near the campfire broke off from his allies to fight me. He kept backing up further and further away from the camp as I fought him, and when I went back, all the other bandits had despawned.

The bandit leader doesn't respawn with the rest of them so it seems safe to assume it comes from him.

Same problem here, fought them at lvl4, all were on horseback, I was on foot and used Aard to get them off their horses. Can't remember seeing a bandit leader among them. I found some loot / crafting blueprints in a chest but can't find the key.

Same problem. I was fighting bandits earlier, killed a few (leader wasn't one of them), then I withdrew from the fight. I came back later only to find 4 mounted bandits and no leader with key.

Alsi having this problem on Xbox One.... Searched the whole area!Merchant says Key must be close by but cleared all the bandits/enemies etc and looted every crate/bag etc too...

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

We are aware of this issue (despawning bandits/ lack of key) and currently working on a solution. Fix for this will arrive along with one of the upcoming patches.

Happy hunting, witchers!

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

We are aware of this issue (despawning bandits/ lack of key) and currently working on a solution. Fix for this will arrive along with one of the upcoming patches.

Happy hunting, witchers!

Glad you guys are working on it. If you need any testing/troubleshooting or save files let me know.

I have to reload from save file for three - four times and clean the camp again and again before the leader with axe shows up!
But now I got a key at last!

Strange bug.

Simply amazing!

I do have to say that most of the game has been going if without an issue and you guys at CD Project Red did an awesome job! I saw the Customer Service job posting and I wish I spoke Polish so I could work with you guys!

CD Project pls fixed bugs:
1)Undiscoverd location (near the Lurtch). I opened settlement
, but the question mark (?) disappears(((((((((((((
2)The lowest
bandit(cannibal) camp (near the Dven Hen). I killed the cannibal and opened the trunk, but the map shows that the camp is not stripped(((((((((((((
3)I killed every bandit including the leader for the person in distress north of the hanged man's tree in Velen. However i have not found a key to the cage and can't find a way to open it (Nilfgaardian trader).
4)In Blackbough one trader, but two markers on the map.
5)Artifacts during the battle in the forest.
6)Notice boards do not always have ads(((
7)Minimap sometimes turns black.
:sad:

Last edited:
I'm Italian sorry for my english. I have the same problem . I'm on ps4... In the patch 1,03 for consolle he will fix it?

Top Bottom