Good Fantasy Books Recommendations Thread

+
Good Fantasy Books Recommendations Thread

Hello Everyone.

I wanted to make a thread on some of my favorite and/or recent books I've read and share them with you'll. I'm also hoping some of you will have some good books to recommend to me and others also

First of all is one of my all time favorite series - "The Coldfire Trilogy" by C.S. Friedman. The first book is Black Sun Rising followed by When True Night Falls and then Crown of Shadows. Gerald Tarrant has got to be on of the best Villain/Heroes of all time.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Rising-Coldfire-Trilogy-Book/dp/0886775272/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Another one of my favorite authors I just discovered not too long ago is David B. Coe. His "Winds of the Forelands" tetralogy and their sequel "The Southlands" Trilogy are pretty neat and have an authetic feel to them.

http://www.amazon.com/Rules-Ascension-Winds-Forelands-Tetralogy/dp/081258984X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336264604&sr=1-1

"Racing the Dark" and "The Burning City" by Alaya Dawn Johnson are really unique and different from most anything I've ever read. For a debut author she did an extremely good job. The third book in this series isn't out yet and she's also writing some kind of alternate historical vampire series which sound really sweet.

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Dark-Alaya-Dawn-Johnson/dp/1932841288

That's it for me. I'm always on the look out for new fantasy series so if anyone has anything great please post. Thank you.

I love the Farseer trilogy (trilogies, that is ^^) by Robin Hobb, as well as the Liveship Traders and the Dragon Keepers. At the moment i'm waiting impatiently for the fourth novel of the dragon keeper-trilogy ( ) which will be out no sooner than March 2013

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicle-Malus-Darkblade-Warhammer-Anthology/dp/1844165639/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336299391&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chronicles-Malus-Darkblade-Volume/dp/1844167836/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Something different for a change. A completelly sick, ruthless and badass anti-hero who likes to torture people. Highly recommended.

You can't really go past George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series...beyond brilliant. The Shadowmarch trilogy by Tad Williams is also pretty enjoyable.

As the above said. A Song of Ice and Fire? Probably the best fantasy books since Tolkien. Funny that they both have R.R in their initials.

Other obvious ones would be:

Anything with the word Tolkien on it xD (nah, that's pretty subjective. His prose is pretty bland to go through. Unless your a Tolkien nut like me and the 150 million others.)

The Witcher books are great. There are only two translated in English sadly. 'A Last Wish' is a collection of short stories. And 'Blood of the Elves' is the first from the main saga.

Other not-so-obvious books would be:

David Gaider's Dragon Age books. They are pretty good, and very addictive once you get into them. I was scared that they were going to be a milking job, but I'm glad they weren't.

And VERY not-so-obvious ones...

If you own Planescape: Torment via GOG, there is this novel based on the first person prespective of TNO. Of course, it won't match yours, but it is a very good read. Too bad it's on the computer though.

I love reading. But if I have to sit down and read on a COMPUTER? Ugh!

Though that novel was so good that it got me through 50 of the 200 pages. And that's saying something.

Chief said:
I read books on my phone. Works great :)

It's not for everyone I suppose :) especiialy for me. But that's because I love the feel of a book. Plus the flash hurts might eyes, and sitting down isn't exactly very comfortable when you haven't got something to interact with xD

Maybe I wouldn't mind if I had an E-Book :) I could easily lay down in bed and read :p

As some other posters have said George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire - series is excellent in every way and is one of my favourite book series ever.

Another series I can recommend is Peter V. Brett's "Painted Man" series. I believe book three is getting released soon, but it is a very interesting concept on humans and demons.

ANordDidIt said:
As some other posters have said George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire - series is excellent in every way and is one of my favourite book series ever.

Another series I can recommend is Peter V. Brett's "Painted Man" series. I believe book three is getting released soon, but it is a very interesting concept on humans and demons.

What fantasy genre does it cover?

They're old now, but still worth reading. The Hyperion Saga by Dan Simmons. I also heartily recommend anything on the banned books list :D

I'll put a plug in for several authors that get sadly overlooked:

Judith Tarr: I highly recommend her historical fantasy books, they have a perfect blend of realism and magic. Alamut and The Dagger and The Cross are set during the Crusades-but the main characters are an ifrit assassin and a Sidhe prince from Wales. The Hound and The Falcon books are also good-an orphan Sidhe boy is raised by monks, becomes a monk himself but then runs afoul of the Catholic Church(who has no use for magic or the fair folk).

Elizabeth Moon: she also writes some pretty good science fiction but I've preferred her fantasy work. The Paksenarrion trilogy follows a farm-girl's journey from simple soldier to Paladin of Light. Elizabeth Moon served in the USMC and her descriptions of military life and war have a real ring of truth to them.

Sean Russell: Read The Swans War trilogy now...nuff said.

Guy Gavriel Kay: one the finest fantasy writers alive, seriously. I know dark, gritty fantasy is popular now and we all can't get enough of George RR Martin and his dark and gritty politics, sex and violence. But give Kay a shot, he is truly a master storyteller. His plots are rich and flowing with detail and complexity. The characters are fully developed with real and often flawed motivations. And unlike some other fantasy authors I won't mention he knows how to begin a story, carry it through the middle and bring it to a satisfying conclusion. Start with Tigana or his pseudo-historical novels The Lions of Al-Rassan or A Song for Arbonne. His recent books, The Last Light of the Sun and Under Heaven are also quite good.

The Second Apocalypse by R. Scott Bakker. Makes George Martin look .... (hushed voice) gentle.

Honestly though, convoluted and flowery prose but darker than sin. Not for the frail of heart but it does retain that nice..genuine and gritty feel to it. Imagine A Song of Ice and Fire that suddenly went biblical and met Lovecraft.

Joe Abercrombie is commonly considered a author with a simple likeability. A lot of cynical humour and odd characters that stick to your mind.

Scott Lynch comes to mind too. Very good writer, focus more on a renaissance setting and the darker part of society. Oliver Twist but more real and unrefined.

Top Bottom