Key binding.. is that a troll ?

+
It is absolutely mind boggling that they locked any keybinds. I've never understood when a game does that. Luckily, it's relatively rare on PC games, but when it does occur, I am always left scratching my head. They obviously locked them intentionally, so in some weird way, they must have a reason that sounds logical to them. I'd love to hear it, because no matter how much I try to twist my mind into pretzels, I can't see it.

My biggest pet peeve is inventory being mapped to 'I'. I realize this is the default in many games, but I have never understood why any game designer would make a default key layout that involved having to either move your left hand to the right side of the keyboard, or move your right hand off the mouse (assuming a right handed gamer). What's more puzzling is that in the "old days", 'B' was almost universally the inventory key, but over the years, default keybindings just got weird and went all over the place.

Anyway, I changed one of the buttons on my 18 "button" mouse to 'I' as a workaround (as well as a few other locked binds that I didn't enjoy reaching across the keyboard for). Yet another great reason for using a gaming mouse, I suppose.

Still would love to hear the rationale behind locking some keybinds.

It's OK if you're english :) with a QWERTY layout.
Here (in France) with AZERTY keyboards you have to figure that "MAP" (we translate to CARTE) is not mapped to M or C but to M in QWERTY, so it's the "," (colon)

Hello, the forum seem to have been fixed. So now I can post wihout my words turn into a wall of text.
This is my other post to partially unlock key binding "in game" but this time it should
be more understandable
(but sorry for my grammar. English is not my natural language)

You can unlock the "ingame" key binding for inventory, map,crafting.....etc
Unfortunately, the associated keys (I,O,K....) remains "ingame" locked for another action's binding :/
To rebind action with these keys you must edit the "input.settings" file with Notepad++

To unlock inventory, map,crafting...etc in game : You'll need an xml editor for edit the "input.xml" file located in :
The Witcher 3\bin\config\r4game\user_config_matrix\pc
At the end of the file, you'll see several "tags:locked". Juste delete these "tags".
For example:
BEFORE EDIT:
Code:
displayType="INPUTPC" actions="PanelChar" tags="locked"/>
AFTER EDIT:
Code:
displayType="INPUTPC" actions="PanelChar"/>
If you don't have an XML editor or if it's too difficult for you I had upload the edited file here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0b9alzznq5hwle7/input.xml
you have just to copy/paste/replace it.
REMEMBER TO ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE ANY EDIT OR REPLACEMENT!!!!

Last edited:
Tanks for the temporary solution but we need a patch to fix it.
And over all, we need a way to bind movment keys from the game itself ! They are not locked, they are simply missing !!

EDIT: By editing your XML, you can make the movment keys binding appear in game !!

In :
<!-- [BASE_CharacterMovement] -->
<!--
<Var builder="Input" id="MoveFwd" displayName="move_forward" displayType="INPUTPC" actions="GI_AxisLeftY"/>
<Var builder="Input" id="MoveBck" displayName="move_back" displayType="INPUTPC" actions="GI_AxisLeftY"/>
<Var builder="Input" id="MoveLft" displayName="move_left" displayType="INPUTPC" actions="GI_AxisLeftX"/>
<Var builder="Input" id="MoveRght" displayName="move_right" displayType="INPUTPC" actions="GI_AxisLeftX"/>
-->

Simply remove the "red" quotes !

Last edited:
EDIT: By editing your XML, you can make the movment keys binding appear in game !!
Simply remove the "red" quotes !

I tried that, but when I try to set then in game, changing the "Forward" also sets the "Backwards" to the same key.
Same goes for the left and right.
I'm a lefty so I always set my movement keys to the KEY PAD on the right side of the keyboard (as I'm using the mouse with my left hand, leaving my right hand free for keyboard).
This is so frustrating!

UPDATE! SUCCESS!
So, I managed to set the movement keys to Number pad keys (Numpad8 for forward, Numpad2 for backwards, Numpad4 for going left and Numpad6 for going right).
I finally can start playing the god damn game.
What I did was taking some advices from the previous suggestions on this thread.
First, DO NOT remove the comment from the input.xml file, in the 'user_config_matrix/pc' folder.
Leave the base character movement commented out.

Go to:
The Witcher 3\bin\config\r4game\legacy\base
and edit (using notepad++ or whatever): input_qwerty.ini
What I did was removing the IK_UP assignments, and changed them to IK_NumPadX, where X is the number of the key:
IK_NumPad8=(Action=GI_AxisLeftY,State=Axis,Value=1.000000)
IK_NumPad2=(Action=GI_AxisLeftY,State=Axis,Value=-1.000000)
IK_NumPad4=(Action=GI_AxisLeftX,State=Axis,Value=-1.000000)
IK_NumPad6=(Action=GI_AxisLeftX,State=Axis,Value=1.000000)

Also, I have changed IK_UP / IK_DOWN to IK_NumPadX here:
IK_NumPad8=(Action=MovementDoubleTapW)
IK_NumPad2=(Action=MovementDoubleTapS)
IK_NumPad4=(Action=MovementDoubleTapA)
IK_NumPad6=(Action=MovementDoubleTapD)

I think these set of commands actually bind the key to the proper command (DoubleTapW probably means "Move forward"). I donno, I'm guessing here, but - it works so, I'm happy with it.

There were some other binding to some debug events, using NumPadX. I removed those lines. Not going to debug this game... :)

Then, run the game, go to key binding and choose to reset the keys to defaults.
It will take your changes to 'input_qwerty.ini' and load them into the game.
Start playing and VIOLA. You can move freely with the NumPad keys (or whatever key you had assigned).

Last edited:
Its nice to see the community at least being able to find solutions to these things.
But it should not be necessary for the community to have to go in and edit game files or make third party applications just to get basic functionality such as keybindings.
This is something that should have been available from day one.

Last edited:
Its nice to see the community at least being able to find solutions to these things.
But it should not be necessary for the community to have to go in and edit game files or make third party applications just to get basic functionality such as keybindings.
This is something that should have been available from day one.

Yes, agreed, If I remember correctly, with Witcher II, this problem was also there.
And even if this could not have been released on day one, it would be respectfull from CDProject to answer to this thread. We don't even know if they are aware of this problem.
I hope they are, with Witcher II they made a great support to the game, so I suppose they'll do the same here.
Just a word on this problem from them, would be nice.

Yes, agreed, If I remember correctly, with Witcher II, this problem was also there.
And even if this could not have been released on day one, it would be respectfull from CDProject to answer to this thread. We don't even know if they are aware of this problem.
I hope they are, with Witcher II they made a great support to the game, so I suppose they'll do the same here.
Just a word on this problem from them, would be nice.

I'm fairly certain they are aware now. This is a 5 star thread and it's constantly getting bumped up to the top. Here's hoping they actually provide the solution we need and want -- movement keys showing in the menu and absolutely no locked key binds.

here' just use this :\ [PC] W3CC: Witcher 3 Control Configuration Editor

i didn't make it just so i could use it. that would have been a giant waste of time. bump the thread while you're at it.

look like a nice job, even if ppl just have to open the input.settings to remap everything eassyly but well :]
That's also kinda crazy ( as often ) to make the community fix broken console port on PC because devs work on that point was terrible....
Too bad the community cant fix that terrible global optimization tho..

look like a nice job, even if ppl just have to open the input.settings to remap everything eassyly but well :]
That's also kinda crazy ( as often ) to make the community fix broken console port on PC because devs work on that point was terrible....
Too bad the community cant fix that terrible global optimization tho..

Well I'm sure the community could have fixed that optimization, and allot of other things as well, in time if they were given the tools and access to the game files to do so.
I'll check out that control config app, see how that works.

Woohoo! Patch 1.04 has almost solved our issues. This is a HUGE improvement.

Please, let us change the middle mouse button key binding. Also, the mouse keys don't work for movement. If I set right mouse button to move forward, the setting is changed in the key bindings menu but it does not work in game. This key binding issue is almost completely fixed.

EDIT: I also found that, although I can change the jump button in the key bindings menu, it only takes affect for Geralt. While riding a horse, the jump button is still spacebar.

Last edited:
So now they must fix the issue when in battle stance to HAVE TWO BUTTONS for ROLL AND JUMP ... HOW RETARDED is that Geralt can't jump while in battle I can't jump on a boat to run off from an area infested with powerful drowners ... or water hags ... GIVE US FULL CONTROL IN BATTLE CD RED ... how hard is that !

Great, CPR enabled movement bindings, but my Right Mouse Button doesn't work. I see in options it is bound to move forward, but in corner apears message " Move forward is now unbound" and of course in game it doesn't work. It looks like RMB is bound in the game menu to return/escape function

So now they must fix the issue when in battle stance to HAVE TWO BUTTONS for ROLL AND JUMP ...

this is fixed in my updated input.xml file. see the W3CC link in my signature.

still waiting on upload server though so i can fix the new map binding bug in v1.04.

and if you want movement keys in-game, you have to uncomment them in the .xml (or wait till next updload).

I managed to edit the input file to better suit my play style.
for some mysterious reason we couldn't bind use/interact and block/parry to a single key. now they're both bound to E. these actions would never overlap each other, the former is only outside combat and the latter is only during combat. you could use my edited file; just paste it in documents/the witcher 3, then launch the game and edit the key binding settings. however you must not change use/interact or block/parry and keep in mind not to bind any other action to E.
I also tried to make tabbing space for dodge and holding space for roll, but so far doing so prevents me from rolling. I'll upload the file again once I've managed to debug this issue.

this file is only tested for v1.04.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ybo4bcwa6z69uc9/input.settings

Last edited:
KEY BINDING PROBLEM
I also have key binding problem

1. A detailed description of problem
what happens:
I re-binded movement keys from [W], , [A], [D] TO [A], [LSHIFT], [Z], [X] but [LSHIFT] does not work at all. After check I noticed that 2 of the keys on left edge of keyboard cannot be assigned to movement ([LCTRL], [LSHIFT]).
where it occurs in the game:
its option menu - related

2. The platform I game on:
PC Asus Notebook
3. system specs:
proc.: INTEL i7-4700HQ 2,4GHz
graph.: GEFORCE GTX 850M 4Gb
RAM: 8Gb
HDD: plenty of free space on disk (over 130Gb)
SYS: Windows 8.1 x64

game location (!): C:\Program Files (x86)\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (chosen manually)

4. How often it occurs.
every time I start the game.

Please release all hard-bindings of keys and enable players to choose convenient keyboard layout.

Great, CPR enabled movement bindings, but my Right Mouse Button doesn't work. I see in options it is bound to move forward, but in corner apears message " Move forward is now unbound" and of course in game it doesn't work. It looks like RMB is bound in the game menu to return/escape function

I was able to rebind my RMB to Strong Hit, but when I rebound my LMB to move forward, it rebinds but does not work in the game.

Top Bottom