The Witcher 3 Modding

+
Why call that a mod and not a cheat?

For example in skyrim, the mod that handled weight, had you craft extra bags.

Because they're all called mods, and this is the first one out and was probably done quickly.
Good to hear you're making a more-complex one, please post links when you've made it.

I never said I was doing them, but I guess you were just beeing sarcastic.

It may be that I am old, but some time ago, just increasing your stats was called trainers or cheats, and altering gameplay or graphics in some way was called mods. Don't need to feel offended, I wasn't calling you a cheater. Sometimes aspects of the games are better removed because they cause more annoyance than difficulty

Is there any chanse for a slow mo mod? It will help alot during combat with multiple enemies and also lore friendly since witchers have amazing reflexes.

It may be that I am old, but some time ago, just increasing your stats was called trainers or cheats, and altering gameplay or graphics in some way was called mods. Don't need to feel offended, I wasn't calling you a cheater. Sometimes aspects of the games are better removed because they cause more annoyance than difficulty

Is the weight you can carry THAT important gameplay wise? I think not. Ok you're able to carry more, that mean you're not forced to go sell your "junk" every now and then. But can this really be called a cheat? does it change anything in the way your character progress or fight? Does it gives you an unfair advantage (it's not multiplayer so...)?

Well the answer is no to all this. Therefor, calling this a cheat isn't really relevant.

Glad to see the modders are already at work ;)

The Nexus categorises them all as mods. Cheats are just a sub-category. But best to get back onto the topic?

I've got 4000 hours so far in Skyrim,3000 hours due to mods, to me mods are very important

.and I haven't been counting the amount of time I've spent in Skyrim...Due to mods , of course...and,...I haven't even completed the main Quest-line..
To me, Skyrim is Home .. I like it more than the Real world...I hope i can make the Witcher 3 my second home ! :hmm:

---------- Updated at 06:51 PM ----------

Yeah, I can relate to that lol.

That's why I wish more games encouraged mods so much.

I absolutely agree !

---------- Updated at 07:01 PM ----------

Hi There,
This is my first and perhaps only post on these forums, though I am a longtime fan of CD Project Red. To briefly introduce myself, I think you could describe me as a “True Believer”. I love CDPR’s approach to DLC, DRM, everything GOG represents. And I’ve been rooting for them since the enhanced Witcher 2 was released. And what a history it is, even with desperate releases, bad publishing deals, financial dire straits and other near misses CDPR seem to be emerging as King of the Hill. I couldn’t be happier about that. And I hope all the other AAA companies sit up and take notice. (I’m snarling at you Origin).

The Wild Hunt is going to make money. A lot of money. Even Pirates are planning on shelling out money for this game, just to make a point. I myself am planning to buy multiple copies and give them away to friends who cannot afford a copy themselves, simply to reward CDPR.

With all of that said, I believe that MODs with be the thing that changes this game from Very Successful to Truly Astronomical sales potential. I’m confident that if Red Engine is released in a reasonable amount of time and certain things are possible, this game is going to have Skyrim or even GTA level sales over the long haul. There is nothing I’d like more than for Witcher 3 to rake in half a Billion dollars, which brings me to the meat of this post.

Brief Disclaimer: Geralt purists are going to hate me for this post. If you’re a purist, you might want to stop reading here. I’m really not trying to kick off a troll riot or flame war with the Immersion fanatics. I’m bringing these ideas up because the Witcher’s clarity of vision is so clear, and Witcher’s dedication to immersion makes me worry that CDPR may not make room for the kinds of mods that players and Modders want to play with, in the game. It’s important for CDPR to think about allowing Modders to do what they want with the game, even if it doesn’t adhere to their vision of the Franchise.

If you look at Skyrim Mods, and really any RPG mod community, you’re going to find some obvious things all of them have in common. I want to bring up a few things that I hope CDPR will allow Modders to change from the Vanilla Witcher 3. And I want to even suggest, that they make these things as easy as possible Mod, since the Modding community desperately wants them.

Customizable Geralt:
People are going to want to want access to all the faces in the game to customize their character. I don’t know what the facial animation limitations are on Non-Garelt face models, but people are going to want to run around with giant mustaches, bowl cuts and great big honking noses. People are funny that way.

Playable Female Character:
Like it or not, lots of players are going to want to play as a female Witcher on the second, third or 10[SUP]th[/SUP] play through. Not because they don’t love Geralt, but because… Well, who cares why they want to, they just do! I know there are going to be a couple of hours of Ciri play, and that is encouraging. It tells me they have done lots of animations that will be needed for players to start piecing together a playable female character. Though I suspect that Ciri will not have the hundred animations created for Geralt's combat combos. This is something I hope CDPR thinks about. A LOT ABOUT…

Voice-over for Female Geralt:
Players who have Modded Geralt to play as female, are going to want Female VO. This would be a monumental project for Modders to take on themselves. Looking at you CDPR… Wondering if you are catching my drift… Thinking to myself, does anyone over at CDPR know a great female voice actor who could pull off a decent Clint Eastwood impersonation? Winking spasmodically. Hoping someone in CDPR gets my drift.

Companions:
People want them. They want to make them. They want to dress them up. They want to give them horses and armor. They want to give them stories, and personality. They want companions. I know Geralt is a loner, and no one wants companions to ruin the gameplay balancing. I know CDPR only uses companions if they have a storytelling purpose or some narrative reason for hanging around. But this is not about what you want CDPR. This is about what we want. And we want companions.

Player Homes:
Yes, yes, Geralt is an itinerant monster slayer. He wanders around and lives out of his saddle bag. He does not have castles, huts, caves, cottages, armor stands, white picket fences, nor Jacuzzis. Nor does he have a bedroom, herb garden, crafting station or a cozy little fireplace with a bearskin rug. But goddamn it, why not. I think Geralt deserves a Jacuzzi. And modders should be allowed to make Player Homes. So there. Deal with it. And if you don’t mind make it easy to implement this functionality.

These are the essentials. There are many more Mods people will want to make, but these are things I’ve heard your developers scoff at when asked if they are in the game. I truly hope that CDPR allows Modders to do what they want to the game. I hope CDPR anticipates these basic elements that I believe all Modders will want to experiment with in the game. I hope they will be easy to create, and supported by CDPR when the Redkit comes out.

I say all this because I believe a thriving modding community is what will make this game a colossal hit that will be played years, rather than a simply wonderful game that people stop playing once they've finished it. And from every CDPR interview I've seen, you are not an “Oh, we can’t do that. That’s impossible.” Kind of company.

Skyrim didn’t sell 20 million copies its opening week. It just kept selling and selling and selling as the DLCs where released, and the Modding community came alive and people realized the game would provide years of gaming pleasure.

PS:
What Mods are all of you dreaming of playing in The Wild Hunt?

I completely agree with you...
I would also like to add to your list :
Custom Animations
...Plz accomodate a way for modders to be able to add custom animations into Tw3 as this will open up a whole range of possibilities for modders and allow them to implement whatever they can imagine.....:hmm:

---------- Updated at 07:07 PM ----------

Thank you for the kind welcome. Regarding my mod ideas, these are not really my ideas. Aside from armor mods, and body mods, these are the majority of mods getting created by all RPG modders and presumably they are also the mods getting installed and played with the most. I could get into survival, food, climate and cold weather modding or other gameplay mods that would be great. But really I'm addressing things CDPR has been adamant are not part of the Vanilla game and I worry, they will not be easily implemented as mods. In particular, I think a female Geralt is SUPER important, for lots and lots of modders.

---------- Updated at 08:03 PM ----------

That is exactly the blind spot, I worry CDPR has. And I think they should embrace these sand box elements. I don't believe the coherent story is an impediment to these things, so long as the developers embrace how modders want to fiddle with the gameplay.

I completely agree....I would love to see the Witcher3 get as moddable as Skyrim....

Uhm...I want to ask...is it possible to replace one of the blink ability of Ciri with dodge (maybe the same moveset of Geralt)? I don't know if Ciri can dodge, I'have not played with her yet, but in the case she can't...would it be possible to copy and paste the dodge moveset of Geralt on Ciri?

Her blink is pretty much a dodge with fancy special effects. You can still get hit while you're "phasing" from place to place.

Her blink is pretty much a dodge with fancy special effects. You can still get hit while you're "phasing" from place to place.

I know, I just...well, I really like the dodge movement of Geralt, and I would like to see that on Ciri, alternating dodge and blink in combat.

@Phalzyr True, but adding just certain animations is much easier than creating them all :) Also, modders can use Geralt's skeleton on a female body. It won't be perfect, but it would work sufficiently I believe. Of course armors have to be redone, nothing can be done about that. But VOs, in a game like this (It's not Skyrim mind you, with so little voice acting), it would create a HUGE cost (If you consider other languages, an insane amount of cost even). And all in all, the creator of the game would be creating costly assets that they won't use, just because of the possibility that some modders will use them... :) As a person who modded amateurly a little, and who follows modders for nearly all the games he loves, I can say that that's definitely not how modding works. Not at all... The best thing the devs can (and hopefully will) do is giving a really flexible and easy to use modding tool. All else is on the modders. That's the spirit of modding :) You need to give your all to it, because it comes from passion.

Edit: Even the fact that they are giving the modders assets for the previous two games is a huge thing in my opinion. I would even say a little bit unprecedented in its scale. (I can't find the source but I remember a recent statement like this on the forums)

they are giving the modders assets for the previous two games........is this true ??:yes

---------- Updated at 07:37 PM ----------

Hiii Guys ! I was just wondering if there was a way we could see the gorgeous world of the witcher3 in 1st person...i mean a First Person View mod....when combat begins, it can switch back to third-person....:teeth:

I am sorry for not being so familiar with the Witcher modding community but what are actually the capabilities of the Toolkit?

I remember back in the days of Witcher 1, all we could get was Geralt in some custom stories with no voice acting. That was literally about it, no total conversions or something like that whatsoever.

Hell, can anyone even list some big mods or total conversions for Witcher 2?

Is this something we might be looking forward to now? Something on the scale of Skyrim or early Crysis modding scene? :)

Last edited:
I am sorry for not being so familiar with the Witcher modding community but what are actually the capabilities of the Toolkit?

I remember back in the days of Witcher 1, all we could get was Geralt in some custom stories with no voice acting. That was literally about it, no total conversions or something like that whatsoever.

Hell, can anyone even list some big mods or total conversions for Witcher 2?

Is this something we might be looking forward to now? Something on the scale of Skyrim or early Crysis modding scene? :)

Witcher 2 modding never got off the ground because they waited until everyone had moved on before releasing the tools, it was two years after the games release if I remember correctly.

The only "bigs" mods I'm aware of for Witcher 2 are the Combat Rebalance that a designer from CDPR made, and Lykaon. I think it's Benzenzimmern who started this project, but is it finished yet ? I didn't follow the development of the mod.

To get a decent Modding community going it's essential to have the dev kit out as soon after release as possible
If they wait until most PC users have finished the game, it may be to late and Fallout 4 could be the next big modded Open World RPG.

Repeating the problem Witcher 2 had, with Skyrim being the goto RPG Game for Mods.
Always it's the annoying problems that recieve the attention first, the easy to fix things modders start with.

Releasing within a month or two of the game, is essential to get the interest of modders whilst playing. Even better if it comes with the game from the start.

Whitcher 3 Modding could be bigger than Skyrim, if done right, get it wrong and it will be a minor backwater with few mods, just like Witcher 2.

I hope they get it right, I want Witcher Mods from day 1.

Very True :yes

Top Bottom