Crashes every 5-10 mins of gameplay; game runs smooth otherwise

+
Crashes every 5-10 mins of gameplay; game runs smooth otherwise

1. So the game will be running smoothly, can open main menu and do everything fine in low/mid settings. Then regardless of what is happening, whether cut scene or in the middle of a fight, the screen will go black. The sound is still fine, but there is no more image. I then have to task manager and discontinue the program.

OS - Win 7 home premium 64 bit
CPU - Intel core i5 3570
GPU - Geforce GTX 660ti
RAM - 8gb

3. The crashes happen every 5-10 minutes, making gameplay pretty impossible.

My GPU will be running a bit on the hot side (65-70 degrees celsius) but that should not be the problem since I have played other games that have pushed the GPU temps higher.

5. Crashinfo file in my Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\x64 provides that
Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error reading location 0x00000000

Yeah, mine's similar, but the screen actually freezes the frame of whatever I was doing. Hopefully this 1.03 update patch fixes it!!!

Same experience and also same rig as the OP
i5-3570K
GTX 660 Ti
8GB
W7 64 Home Premium

And of course this is with 1.03 update

This is probably the same issue as the one described in this thread. The video driver stops responding, and the image freezes while the game world keeps being simulated for a while (you can hear the game responding to input).

I've tried almost every solution proposed in the thread I linked, and while it did seem to delay the crash, it still happens after 20 to 60 minutes. The only thing I haven't tried yet is underclocking the video card, which is what I'm going to do later today.

Last edited:
I have the exact same rig as the OP, and the exact same problem... Infuriating isn't a strong enough word to describe it. Also tried every solution on the forums to no avail.

after the latest patch, the game crash after a while of doing anything (last time it crash while i just watching scenery).
the patch do make the frame rate better but worse stability.

btw the crash is not just happened on W3. After i "end task" W3, the whole windows become sluggish/weird. It works fine again after "windows restarted/recovered the display driver" pop up come.

---------- Updated at 06:35 AM ----------

ugh cant edit.

so its possible that W3 simply make my PC works too hard and coicidentally, with the patch 1.03, my PC reached its "Dead" point. Because before W3, i only game on PS4 lol.

Sounds like overclocking problems, especially if other games work fine. w3 even on more modern cards loads the gpu to 100% and never lets up.

On games that arent fully using your gpu you can get away with unstable overclocks for years... :))

Sounds like overclocking problems, especially if other games work fine. w3 even on more modern cards loads the gpu to 100% and never lets up.

On games that arent fully using your gpu you can get away with unstable overclocks for years... :))

Could be, I don't know about everyone else, but my card is factory overclocked. I've now lowered the frequencies by 100 with MSI Afterburner, and managed to play for about an hour without crashing (I ragequit after a Wraith killed me). That doesn't mean much though, so for now I'll have to play some more, and then come back later with a verdict.

Edit: I've now played for two hours straight without crashing (had to quit playing to tend to "real life"), and while this may be a bit soon to draw a definitive conclusion, it does seem that the crashing is gone.

Last edited:
Never had a problem until the 1.03 patch, now crashes every 5 minutes,
on cut scene dialogue mostly.
Triss mission where Geralt shackles her up atm giving me a bad time.
win7 64 bit
AMD FX 4300 quad
gtx 960
8 gig ram
gonna update the nvidia drivers to see if it helps

edit: nope newest "nvidia ready" LOL drivers crash with bad physx on the bodies
gonna try 347.25 rollback

---------- Updated at 08:52 PM ----------

OK Fixed the crashing, it nvidias end:
1. download driver sweeper and get rid of everything nvidia
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
2. download the lastest drivers
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

must be down to not cleaning the old driver out correctly, because since i did this,
had a good 6 hour run, ultra, no crashes or flashing lights.

Last edited:
Same problem as OP...

OS - Win 7 home premium 64 bit
CPU - Intel core i7 2600K
GPU - Geforce GTX 780ti
RAM - 8gb

OK, this is weird, as I posted earlier I have/had the same problem as the OP... BUT for the last day or so I have been able to play unhindered for around 6 hours at a time with NO crashes.
I haven't a clue what happened though, didn't verify the game files, haven't changed any settings within the game, nothing, there wasn't even a patch downloaded either. I'm at a complete loss as to why this is happening.

Top Bottom