Why this game is broken (at least as a PC game but probably also as a console game)

+
Why this game is broken (at least as a PC game but probably also as a console game)

tl;dr: There is no real control over the character.
There are several major problems with the gameplay design of this game so I will try to be very specific.
Actually, some of the gameplay design decisions the DEVS made contradict other design decisions they made,
so here goes:

---------------------------------

It's the Auto Draw / Sheething and the fact that the lock on can't be turned off completely,
Add to that the fact that you can't parry unless you are locked on a target,
and also the fact that the lock on range is not far enough and the result is just bad.

The lock on target button dose not help in any way also, sometimes it just dose not work,
And most of the time you don't really know on which target it will lock on to.
It dose not extend the low range of the automatic lock on ("enemy detection"),
and in general it dose not make any difference what so ever to the gameplay,
at least on a M+K it doesn't.

Also, the fact that half of the keyboard is not bind-able is just a joke.
"Enter" and "Backspace" (open game menu) do the same thing yet you can't re-bind any of them,
Call horse is the fu**ing "X" button?! and some of the keys don't even appear in the key-bind menu at all.
Hell, you can't rebind the basic movement keys, WTF???

Here is a good example of how bad this design is:
I have the perk to deflect enemy arrows with my parry,
However archers can shoot arrows at me from a much further distance I can parry from.
This is just stupid, as the AI can attack me but my character is not in a combat state at all,
Because I just killed a bandit and the combat system decided (against my will)
that Gerald should sheath his sword right now, Even though 20 meters away,
there is a fu**ing archer shooting arrows at him!
Not that it matters if he would not auto sheath his sword (which happens sometimes),
Because you can't parry from this "far away" distance anyway.

Please tell me, what is the point of having a key bind for sword sheathing / drawing anyway
(not just one sword but two) I mean Gerald do it automatically anyway right? And in the worst of times to top it all off.
I wan't to fu**ing use the wrong sword, yes I know it's wrong but maybe I don't have time to fu**ing switch swords right now!!?!

But wait, there is more, let's say I want to run away from combat because i am low on health or any other reason.
(even a tutorial is teaching you that sometimes it's better to run away) yet Gerald will stop and turn back just because the lock on kicks in.
And the fact you are still pressing the sprint button dose not seem to matter to him (or the developers for that matter).

Now I admit, I don't know how this game is on consoles and I did not try this game with a controller,
But to be honest I don't see how a controller would solve these problems anyway.
This combat system (with all the facts I just wrote) just sucks.
Moreover it's not that a controller is really needed, remove the restriction I mention above (most basic of games have these options yes?)
And this game could be very enjoyable. So for a PC title this game is a fu**ing joke.

The thing is, that CDPR stated so many times that the PC is the definitive version.
I read an article on PC-GAMER back in January with a level designer from CDPR,
Saying how they optimize the controls for PC and how all of them prefer to play with K+M anyway,
LOL what a flat out lie, THIS IS OPTIMIZING?? what a bad joke, it's nothing more than an after thought.
And anyone who say otherwise is either a liar or a fool.

Article link: (PC GAMER, lol, at least I know now not to trust them after reading their review)
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-level-designer-on-the-delay-pc-controls-and-world-building-2/

Other than that the game is cool and I really want to play it,
But i can't more than 10 minutes until I quit because i just can't control my character!! and it's fu**ing frustrating!!

So for me (and many many others) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIeEZeKN8JE (this is a real PC review)
this game is broken and unplayable, and over all is just a mess.

And I didn't say anything about the horrible FOV or restrictive camera angles
(YOU CAN'T LOOK UP AT ALL WHILE ON THE WATER SURFACE, WTF???)

I got this game bundled with my new gtx 980 so I am glad I did not pay for this game.
Also I will never buy a CDPR game and glad I never did.
I will tell everyone I can not to buy from CDPR, at least until they change their practices in general and patch up this game.

I hope someone from CDPR is listening because fixing these issues is relatively easy and can all be optional.
Hope I was clear.

Last edited:
While I don't necessarily agree with each and every one of your points, I'll certainly have to concede that annoying resheating, it's a problem we've had since the Witcher 1 and it's still not fixed. I've had multiple scenarios where I draw my sword, activate quenn, and a mere second before delivering my opening blow (and thus starting combat) Geralt automatically resheats his goddamn sword, meaning I suddenly run into the enemy barehanded, losing precious seconds while I attempt to redraw my sword. Other times he just runs out with his sword all the time and doesn't resheat it automatically at all, I'm not sure what the rules for the resheating thing is, but I'd love to know em :p

Also, for fleeing combat; I just roll away, it's a habit from the Witcher 2 that I just can't let go. I find sprinting away ineffective, it drains your stamina while rolling just slows your stamina and the speed is about the same, perhaps sprinting is a little faster, hardly noticeable.

Last edited:
I wish I knew also.
I am glad for you can play pass these issues.
I feel frustrated by them not only because I feel I have no real control over Gerald
But also because it feels like CDPR just lied this whole time about the PC controls.
(even not letting anyone play with a M&K in their press conference, here I started to get suspicious).

And as you can see I don't care about the graphics downgrade, the game is beautiful enough as is.
I mean I don't have anything against console games, they have every right to exist of course,
but at least don't present the game in way that it is definitely not true.

Like I said these issues are relatively easily fixed and can all be optional.
Making lock-on optional, making combat rolls / doge and parry work anytime and anywhere (optionally also if you so desire)and making this stupid auto sheath / draw optional as well.
That's all it takes in my eyes to make it playable and a much better game in general.
Hell, even a great game maybe.

I can say for a fact that some of these points aren't applicable to consoles. Parrying works at all times without lock on (same for deflections). Sword drawing or putting them away isn't nearly as bad of problem as the PC. Although I have heard of people having issues on consoles. Escaping fights is still crap though. Geralt almost always turns back for no reason. Resulting in death. But in any case maybe a controller would help you enjoy things more. Not being able to bind certain keys seems very frustrating and archaic.

Actually lock on is not really useful. I don't use it. Unfortunately this applies to parrying too, because if I parry incoming attacks, Geralt will stagger for a while - that means if a group of monsters are attacking him, he will be defenseless for too long.

Well parrying is never a good idea against monsters. There are a few exceptions to the rule. The grave hags that poison you can be parried/counterattack to cut off their tongue. I've very surprised to hear this vital combat technique is so difficult for the OP because of how it works on PC. I wasn't aware you needed lock on to parry on PC till I saw this thread. Seems silly bug maybe?

tl:dr He said GeralD, not worth your time.

No, playing it on death march it's fantastic, combat is very responsive, fast, no words how perfect this game is.
This is NOT your everyday swing-your-sword-through-entire-game game, you have much to learn young padawan. I'm not joking, if you don't trust your master, come, I'll show you.
When moving around just use run/walk toggle ffs.

We have lock on as a keybind, we don't need automatic 'soft lock', all that does is infuriate people and take control away from the player.

Why have seperate keybinds for parry, dodge etc if you can only use them when geralt is in 'combat mode'? Just remove combat mode already, or reduce it to doing only one thing, unsheathing the correct sword at the start of the fight. Everything else is unnecessary and removes control of the character from the player, causing frustration.

Having many keys unbindable is not as much of an issue for me as it is for others, as I simple compensate by using autohotkey to rebind the keys. HOWEVER, it is downright game-breaking to many. You were a pc developer first, how are you getting this wrong?

Finally, small obstacles such as low fences, planks of wood and corpses should be automatically moved over in the same manner as a small flight of stairs. Having a roll not move the character at all because there is a plank of wood next to him is simply unacceptable, it is poor design. It causes frustration and should be dealt with ASAP.

---------- Updated at 11:06 AM ----------

tl:dr He said GeralD, not worth your time.

No, playing it on death march it's fantastic, combat is very responsive, fast, no words how perfect this game is.
This is NOT your everyday swing-your-sword-through-entire-game game, you have much to learn young padawan. I'm not joking, if you don't trust your master, come, I'll show you.
When moving around just use run/walk toggle ffs.

So you don't get infuriated when a small object that should in no way restrict movement (a plank of wood) stops you from moving during a diving roll that in the real world would carry you almost a foot OVER the plank?

Equally a dodge would jump over it, even walking you could step over it. but not in the game at current, right now, you are glued to the floor and have to jump over it manually, which you cannot do in combat.

Please explain to me how that is 'responsive'.

I suggest the OP calms down.
To assert that the game is broken is a gross exaggeration.
Because the OP thinks solutions are 'easy', does not make it so.
Many would be more receptive to reading the OP's post if the whole thing was a little less angry and entitled, to be honest.
Personally, after some 40 hours on Xbox One, I'm finding the combat enjoyable.

No need to lock on to parry on PC. Where did this come from?

Some of these issues are totally legit, though. Weapon autosheathing is stupid and annoying, arrow deflection is broken, and so is targeting lock, at least with keyboard and mouse. And there are a thousand and one other issues that should be looked into.

But you know what?

Despite all these problems, this is an amazing game. I'm not all that far into the game yet, but so far my impression is that this is the best RPG I've played in years, and one of the best of all time.

I'm not really having that much trouble with combat personally. I'm playing on hard. Ranged enemies are the most annoying, especially in mobs.

I'm enjoying it and it's not a chore.

The auto-sheathing is a pain, but the rest? It's close enough to TW2 not to be that big an issue. The only learning curve issue I'm having is the number of keys in use compared to TW2. (And yes, K&M user).

To the OP - it's really your choice, there's no point playing a game if you're not enjoying it. I'm not sure which difficulty level you're using, but if you DO want to persevere, then maybe drop to an easier one until you get the feel for it?

I personally can't believe how people can be defending the utter travesty that is the combat and controls in this game. It's not fine to release a game when you have "features" like the player character sheathing his weapon in mid-combat. The game is either unfinished or just poorly designed, but it's certainly not acceptable.

I'm not really having that much trouble with combat personally. I'm playing on hard. Ranged enemies are the most annoying, especially in mobs.I'm enjoying it and it's not a chore.
It's got nothing to do with the difficulty for me, I don't find the combat too easy or too hard,
it's the fact I can't really control Gerald because he is doing things against my will
as the design of the game works this way on any difficulty. I don't understand what is not clear about it.

No need to lock on to parry on PC. Where did this come from?
Please tell how to parry out side of the combat range / lock on range with a keyboard and mouse,
I don't play with a controller, sorry I play on PC for a reason.

I suggest the OP calms down.To assert that the game is broken is a gross exaggeration.Because the OP thinks solutions are 'easy', does not make it so.Many would be more receptive to reading the OP's post if the whole thing was a little less angry and entitled, to be honest.Personally, after some 40 hours on Xbox One, I'm finding the combat enjoyable.
Well good for you, I am happy you enjoy the game, I really am, and I am not being ironic about it
but do me a favor play the game on the PC with a mouse and keyboard then tell me to calm down
You like the game? good for you, I also like the game, it's just that i can't really control Gerald the way I want to
Canceling the auto sheath /draw, making the lock on optional and the parry work all the time is rather easy, yes
Much easier than making the graphics better like they were in E3 2013 (which I don't care about one bit to be honest)

I understand for some of you these issues are not a big problem
but I (and many more) have certain minimum standard that we demand from games
if you accept this sub par console port which clearly show CDPR made zero effort in porting it to the PC despite their claims
well good for you, but stop blaming it on the difficulty I am playing or that I am not good in games or whatever
And like I said nothing is wrong with console games and I got nothing against them
but I am a pc gamer and I play pc games. I wouldn't have mind it so much if CDPR wouldn't claim how this is the definitive version and all
And just be honest about it that they did not have the time or will to actually make an effort in regards to the PC controls.
but they did make that claim just so people would buy the game and this is a big no no in my eyes
As a consumer and a PC gamer (even though I got it with my gtx 980) I have every right to raise my concerns
about how the gaming industry is shaping up in the last years, allot of lies and claims in the trailers
and then poof nothing of that sort in the actual game, and I can give you a long list of games including this one

Well parrying is never a good idea against monsters. There are a few exceptions to the rule. The grave hags that poison you can be parried/counterattack to cut off their tongue. I've very surprised to hear this vital combat technique is so difficult for the OP because of how it works on PC. I wasn't aware you needed lock on to parry on PC till I saw this thread. Seems silly bug maybe?

You don't need to lock on to parry. Hold parry stance and he parries anything and everything that comes his way (more or less). Obviously not a clever idea to parry a Golem... and some others are difficult.

Riposte is slightly trickier, requires good timing, but the damage boost is rewarding.

There is one issue, in that ranged attacks start before Geralt is ready to parry. This is counter-able by dodging and closing sufficiently to have a close combat opponent that will "open combat". He doesn't leave combat mode until very far away, or all enemies are dead though.

I have thought about setting witcher senses to a keyboard key, but not got around to trying any remapping yet... this is the main conflict with parry success and I'd rather that I had responsive combat controls than "hyper convenient" detective tools.

You don't need to lock on to parry. Hold parry stance and he parries anything and everything that comes his way
Maybe I was not clear enough, yes parry works with out a lock-on,
but I I meant is that parry is not working if Gerald is not sensing any enemies around
(meaning the soft automatic lock-on I wish I could turn off completely)

You say to doge or roll out of the arrows way if you are out of combat range
but you can't do that either if not in combat range!!
There is no excuse for this decision, stop defending this stupidity for the love of god
it's not realistic, not immersive and certainly not good gameplay wise

I acknowledged that. I intend to get around to experimenting with re-mapping... but don't find it so bothersome that I've done anything about it yet (first play I didn't even use arrow deflection at all, just double tapped to displace in a broken rhythm sufficient to spoil archer's aim, then evaded the line troops and butchered archers). With arrow deflection in use I do see the issue... but can still double step to break aim while closing enough to get combat started.

tl:dr He said GeralD, not worth your time.No, playing it on death march it's fantastic, combat is very responsive, fast, no words how perfect this game is.This is NOT your everyday swing-your-sword-through-entire-game game, you have much to learn young padawan. I'm not joking, if you don't trust your master, come, I'll show you.When moving around just use run/walk toggle ffs.
Ho I got his name wrong, I don't know the lore of this game so I can't have an opinion on the game
OMG : /

While the game is still certainly playable, there are two issues mentioned that are highly disruptive to combat: 1. The sheathing/unsheathing issue. 2. Not being able to parry while getting shot by arrows from a distance. The skill to be able to parry arrows is essentially a wasted talent right now because by the time you can parry them you're within melee range anyway.

I acknowledged that. I intend to get around to experimenting with re-mapping... but don't find it so bothersome that I've done anything about it yet (first play I didn't even use arrow deflection at all, just double tapped to displace in a broken rhythm sufficient to spoil archer's aim, then evaded the line troops and butchered archers). With arrow deflection in use I do see the issue... but can still double step to break aim while closing enough to get combat started.
BUT YOU CAN'T!!! you can double step (dodge) or combat roll only when in combat state
Same applies for the parry itself.So the only thing you can do is run or walk out of the arrow way (no double tapping, no parry and no rolling)

inb4 someone say something like, GeralT (happy now?) can't see the enemy because he is too far
or he can't deflect arrows from a too far away distance I have this to say:
With his withcer senses he should be able to spot the enemies much before they do
and seeing how the archers do spot him and shoot at him while he is not in a combat state
I would say that is not immersive or realistic

About the arrow deflection distance
One would assume it would actually be easier to deflect an arrow after it's lost more of it's momentum
and when you have more time to see it coming you way.

And in general the fact you can't parry in the middle of no where of dodge or roll just because you feel like it
is just mind boggling in my eyes, and I just can't see the logic behind it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom