• No

Votes: 61 7.0%
  • I wish this was a Sard poll

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • I don't get the "Sard poll" joke

Votes: 98 11.3%
  • I don't vote on polls

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • "I don't vote on polls". Genius, Reptile, just genius.

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Sometimes, we do things we regret. On a related note, how's it going today?

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Agreed. I think if I have any real gripe, its some of the menu options. Looking forward to mods to adjust and give some more functionality

I doubt strong attack works correctly

I have done some damage tests on both heavily armored and light armored enemies
I have %65 strong attcak crit damage bonus + %5 strong attack damage bonus+ %10 light attack damage bonus.
However, my strong attack crits number are too close to light attack crit numbers in terms of damage.
Plus, strong attack normal damages are too close to light normal attack damages althoug the numbers in the character stat screen is way different.
They do not match.

the easiest wai is for everything in the hud to fade, until combat, or usable, and when you want to know where you are going, the best ideea is to track the quest with V and use witcher senses, and while in senses there should be trace or something leading to the quest !

---------- Updated at 05:55 PM ----------

so im walking and im walking, and suddently fences started appearing next to me...wood fences on the hill (the flickering ones from skyrim), yeah, they just pop up like they weren there ffs at 20meters max, if i am at 40meters aways from it for the first time i encounter it, it wont appear, yet things behind it spawn, like other objects or npc, when i get to like 20meters it spawns - this game is obviously came out to early and is expecting the formums and modders to fix it - its awful

It doesn't just depend on the enemy's armor. As a general rule, enemy types take more damage from either one or the other attack type, or at least that's the way it's always worked. Golems, for example, can barely be nicked with fast attacks, and strong attacks damage them just fine.

One thing I've noticed, though - Drowners were always weak to strong attacks, and I don't find that to be the case anymore. They dodge like Nekkers now. I wonder if that's a bug or intentional.

Balancing feedback | Intended for devs but feel free to chip in

Completed the game on blood and bones. I have some game-play feedback I would like to provide to the devs. Anyone here feel free to apply your own feedback or provide counter arguments to my criticism.

Some skills are too weak, some skills are too strong. This is my (imo) fair assessment.

Poison blades and poison in general

Need a moderately sized buff. When your sword hits for 400-500 damage per hit and mobs tend to die fairly fast anyway - a bleed for 25-75 damage for a short duration has almost zero combat impact. Poisoned blades skill and poison in general need a buff. Dot damage should be a good tactic for beating high hp enemies by wearing them down. Currently poison is useless vs pretty much everything.

Bombs

Big spikes when it came to usefulness. Early game they were good, then bad, then good again midgame, then bad again for the remaining game. Even with upgrades bombs does way to low damage to have a meaningful impact on combat. They are a limited resource ace in your deck of tricks, but fall short of their intended use. Dimiritium bombs vs life regen mobs was the only real value I found in them.

Mutagen

Except for the 100 vitality griffon mutagen, I never found a higher mutagen than 50vit / 10% attack / 10% sign ones. Not sure if I missed them or intended. Just thought it strange that green has mutagen that has 100% higher value than the highest red + blue one.

Skills (Alchemy)

---
I invested all skills in alchemy on my playthrough. None in combat or signs, not even one. So I can only provide feedback for the alchemy tree.

Hightened tolerance: Needs a buff from 5% to 10% to even be remotely useful imo.

Refreshment: Good skill but maybe a bit overpowered late game. I suggest a nerf from 25% at max level to 20%

Delayed recovery: Potions not wearing out is not a problem anyway with all the +% potion duration from alchemy. IMO this skill needs a replacement completely.

Side effects: Nothing to say on this one. Well implemented skill, good without being bad or overpowered.
---
Poisoned blades: The idea of the skill is good. But unfortunately poison is too weak to even be bothered with. The problem lies in poison itself, not the skill. Poison damage needs to be tuned up.

Protective coating: This skill is very strong. I suggest swapping protective coating and fixative in their position in the alchemy tree.

Fixative: Perfectly fine skill.

Hunter instinct: I didn't test this skill, can't provide feedback for it.
---
Steady aim: The slow really isn't needed at all imo. I suggest changing this completely. IMO increase all bomb damage by 10/20/35%

Pyrotechnics: Bombs are already too weak. Increase this to 40/80/120/160/200 bonus damage for all bombs.

Efficiency: Good skill. No complaints.

Cluster bombs: Didn't have the chance to test this one.
---
All mutation skills are really good and balanced, good job on this one. Only complaint is the highest tier skill - adaption.
Adaption: Alchemy already increases potion duration and concoctions already last very long. Adaption is a completely useless skill to take and needs replacement.
---
Endure pain is fine, didn't test the others but they seem too situational and not worth the time. That a player like me don't even feel them worthy of testing should be a heads up though that something could/should be changed?
---

Oils

Currently they provide 10,25,50% bonus damage. 10% is too low to even bother applying oils and 50% is just way too strong. My suggestion is tweaking oils to:

Standard| 20%
Enhanced| 30%
Superior| 40%

Stamina and stamina regeneration is fine

Didn't test or build for runes. I only used un-upgraded Quen for the whole game. Igni with +60% intensity though did absolutely nothing in terms of damage. Maybe someone else here tested rune build more - I did NOT build for it so my argument may be flawed but I found Igni to be useless.

General skills

Crossbow does too low damage for steady shot to be worth it. Need a buff from 25% to 100%, even then it won't be overpowered I think. At the least it should be upped to 50%.

If with 60% sign intensity my igni is useless in terms of damage, I doubt taking griffon school for +20% will make any difference. IMO the sign intensity of griffin school needs to be buffed to 7.5% or 10% per medium armor piece.

Rest of the general skills are fine imo.

Trophys

Might be me missing it all. But I never found a trophy upgrade after the griffon. Did you forget to add more of them as the game progressed? It could be simply me that didn't find any if there are indeed more of them.

Last edited:
Spacehamster: You sure about that?

Against a earth golem my fast and strong attacks both only do about 60-80 damage. Against most foes my attack damage were too close with fast vs strong (like OP stated) to ever justify using strong attacks.

I only used fast attacks for this reason through my play-through. I occationally tested it again and the difference was minimal.

What about after a cutscene? My instinct is to draw my weapon then click attack. Sometimes I find Geralt either doesn't draw, or does draw then I countermand the movement and he puts it away.

After a cutscene my instinct is to leap away then cast Quen, this might be because I play on Death March and I want distance between me and my target so I can have time to assess the battle, cast any signs I want or drink any potions.

I have never seen Geralt not draw his sword. I'm not trying to claim its not happening only that I haven't experience it. I have experience overriding his own draw and putting my sword away. I did this a couple of times when I first started to play and sometimes when I want to select Aard which is keybound to 3 I press 2 by accident and put my sword away.

Great in open fields. Not so well in close encounters.

My Geralt can easily dispatch a pack of drowners, but has serious problems going through a door :p

Can't say for high levels, but early game it's true. Most times strong attacks do relatively equal damage comparing to fast ones.

Completed the game on blood and bones. I have some game-play feedback I would like to provide to the devs. Anyone here feel free to apply your own feedback or provide counter arguments to my criticism.

Some skills are too weak, some skills are too strong. This is my (imo) fair assessment.

Poison blades and poison in general

Need a moderately sized buff. When your sword hits for 400-500 damage per hit and mobs tend to die fairly fast anyway - a bleed for 25-75 damage for a short duration has almost zero combat impact. Poisoned blades skill and poison in general need a buff. Dot damage should be a good tactic for beating high hp enemies by wearing them down. Currently poison is useless vs pretty much everything.

Bombs

Big spikes when it came to usefulness. Early game they were good, then bad, then good again midgame, then bad again for the remaining game. Even with upgrades bombs does way to low damage to have a meaningful impact on combat. They are a limited resource ace in your deck of tricks, but fall short of their intended use. Dimiritium bombs vs life regen mobs was the only real value I found in them.

Mutagen

Except for the 100 vitality griffon mutagen, I never found a higher mutagen than 50vit / 10% attack / 10% sign ones. Not sure if I missed them or intended. Just thought it strange that green has mutagen that has 100% higher value than the highest red + blue one.

Skills (Alchemy)

---
I invested all skills in alchemy on my playthrough. None in combat or signs, not even one. So I can only provide feedback for the alchemy tree.

Hightened tolerance: Needs a buff from 5% to 10% to even be remotely useful imo.

Refreshment: Good skill but maybe a bit overpowered late game. I suggest a nerf from 25% at max level to 20%

Delayed recovery: Potions not wearing out is not a problem anyway with all the +% potion duration from alchemy. IMO this skill needs a replacement completely.

Side effects: Nothing to say on this one. Well implemented skill, good without being bad or overpowered.
---
Poisoned blades: The idea of the skill is good. But unfortunately poison is too weak to even be bothered with. The problem lies in poison itself, not the skill. Poison damage needs to be tuned up.

Protective coating: This skill is very strong. I suggest swapping protective coating and fixative in their position in the alchemy tree.

Fixative: Perfectly fine skill.

Hunter instinct: I didn't test this skill, can't provide feedback for it.
---
Steady aim: The slow really isn't needed at all imo. I suggest changing this completely. IMO increase all bomb damage by 10/20/35%

Pyrotechnics: Bombs are already too weak. Increase this to 40/80/120/160/200 bonus damage for all bombs.

Efficiency: Good skill. No complaints.

Cluster bombs: Didn't have the chance to test this one.
---
All mutation skills are really good and balanced, good job on this one. Only complaint is the highest tier skill - adaption.
Adaption: Alchemy already increases potion duration and concoctions already last very long. Adaption is a completely useless skill to take and needs replacement.
---
Endure pain is fine, didn't test the others but they seem too situational and not worth the time. That a player like me don't even feel them worthy of testing should be a heads up though that something could/should be changed?
---

Oils

Currently they provide 10,25,50% bonus damage. 10% is too low to even bother applying oils and 50% is just way too strong. My suggestion is tweaking oils to:

Standard| 20%
Enhanced| 30%
Superior| 40%

Stamina and stamina regeneration is fine

Didn't test or build for runes. I only used un-upgraded Quen for the whole game. Igni with +60% intensity though did absolutely nothing in terms of damage. Maybe someone else here tested rune build more - I did NOT build for it so my argument may be flawed but I found Igni to be useless.

General skills

Crossbow does too low damage for steady shot to be worth it. Need a buff from 25% to 100%, even then it won't be overpowered I think. At the least it should be upped to 50%.

If with 60% sign intensity my igni is useless in terms of damage, I doubt taking griffon school for +20% will make any difference. IMO the sign intensity of griffin school needs to be buffed to 7.5% or 10% per medium armor piece.

Rest of the general skills are fine imo.

Trophys

Might be me missing it all. But I never found a trophy upgrade after the griffon. Did you forget to add more of them as the game progressed? It could be simply me that didn't find any if there are indeed more of them.

Unfortunately I think everything you mentioned will remain as it is, and will only be changed by mods. To be honest that's what I'm hoping the devs are pouring their effort into right now, getting the REDkit out there. Because having modding available will cut short 75% of the arguements and whining around here.

I'm not saying I'm happy with the state of the game completely as it is, but aside from a few things that mods may not be able to easily change (geralt getting caught on a corpse or plank of wood while rolling and performing the animation glued to one spot), the game is playable and works as intended. Some mods are actually already appearing :http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=2

Terrible, just terrible.

Movement and combat is so bad that it occupies more of my mind that the story, characters and dialogue. Using realism as an excuse is exactly that, an excuse for poor controls.

Button mashing fast-attack tends to yield similar results to a more measured approach, so for those who are saying that you need to think about each button press (which is why the animations take so long to complete and aren't interruptible), you may as well button mash for similar results.

I don't find this at all. In combat I find that geralt does what i want when i want. If i button mash fast attacks on Death march i die. So I get very DIFFERENT results when I don't button mash. I can cast signs in the middle of combat, drink potions, Dodge and leap. The results are I can get Geralt to "Dance" in combat and it feels great. I have zero problem with the controls, when I want to do something in combat Geralt does it.

Also, it's too easy to get stuck behind a piece of scenery the size of a brick, and your cantering horse tries to follow the road even if you're trying to make minor adjustments to your direction - when fighting enemies for example.

And if you still stand by the 'realistic' excuse for tardy combat and movement, have you seen how fast and unrealistic Geralt is when switching to the other side of his horse during a mounted attack?

As for the issue with the horse I experience this as well. I determined the cause and solution to this. If you just press the canter key the horse will automatically follow the road and you do indeed have to fight with this "autopilot" if in combat NOT fun. The solution I found is to press the canter key + W and use the mouse to steer. I can do great fine movements with the horse to fight on horseback and no autopilot to interfere. Seems autopilot get engaged if you don't press the move forward key.

Great in open fields. Not so well in close encounters.

My Geralt can easily dispatch a pack of drowners, but has serious problems going through a door :p

What controls do you use? maybe this is a controller issue. With the mouse and keyboard i have never got stuck on a door frame. If it is a controller issue it might just explain why some players are saying, "Control issues? What control issues?"

What controls do you use? maybe this is a controller issue. With the mouse and keyboard i have never got stuck on a door frame. If it is a controller issue it might just explain why some players are saying, "Control issues? What control issues?"

It isn't a controller issue, it happens with mouse and KB as well. Essentially it's people being unused to a character not stopping and starting immediately after they press a button. Which to be fair, can be disorientating if you haven't experienced it before. To some extent, it can be countered with practice, but sometimes you just want Geralt to move with a little more urgency, especially with a werewolf about to rip off your head...

Unfortunately I think everything you mentioned will remain as it is, and will only be changed by mods. To be honest that's what I'm hoping the devs are pouring their effort into right now, getting the REDkit out there. Because having modding available will cut short 75% of the arguements and whining around here.

I'm not saying I'm happy with the state of the game completely as it is, but aside from a few things that mods may not be able to easily change (geralt getting caught on a corpse or plank of wood while rolling and performing the animation glued to one spot), the game is playable and works as intended. Some mods are actually already appearing :http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/searchresults/?src_cat=2
I am VERY excited about how quickly a ton of mods have already appeared once they opened the nexus site.

Mans maybe we'll have a BIG modding community. Maybe as big as SKyrim

... the crafting section told us what 'type' of armour the items are. Specifically, if the item is light, medium or heavy.

I'm in the crafting screen looking at Mountain folk boots. Ok, I know what the stats are, I know what the bonuses are, I know what level craftsman is required, but when I am trying to keep to an armour ttype, I have no idea whether they are light and will go with what I want, or heavy and I would just sell them because they are useless to my current playthrough/style :/

Agreed.

---------- Updated at 04:09 PM ----------

The auto targeting works terribly, it frequently selects enemies off my screen or well out of melee range when I'm pointing the camera directly at the enemy I want to attack and I can't do anything about it except keep pointing at my chosen enemy until the game decides I should be able to attack it. I tried using the lock target function as a remedy, but the camera locking does more harm than good and this makes it even harden to fluidly switch to a new target that's just left itself exposed after a lunge/attack.

My suggestion would be to attack the enemy closest to the centre of the screen, and to let the current target switch to whatever you're looking at a significantly faster rate than it does now.

As it stands, this is the most "difficult" part of the games' combat, fighting bosses one-on-one is great, but as soon as I fight a group Geralt will switch between targets for no obvious reason at all, frequently doing a jumping sword attack into a bunch of enemies off to the side of the screen, while I'm pointing directly at the single enemy I've separated from the group.

I hate the soft targeting and don't think it should be there at all. lets just get that straight first. BUT, if the devs cannot or will not remove it entirely, then at least make it target the enemy we are pointing geralt at. Though to be honest I'm not entirely sure that it doesn't do this already and the failure to target the correct creature is the fault of the sluggish 'realistic' movement.

It happens for me too, I think for everyone. It is really annoying, especially since you have to sometime retreat a little on higher difficulties to get potions or consumables or Quen going. Then Geralt puts away his sword again -.- and suddenly the monster comes in the vicinity and attacks you before you put out the sword. We seriously need a fix here, we need an option to disable the auto-sheathing

A few more animations for counter attacks wouldn't hurt. It gets old seeing the same 2 moves all the time, especially if you use it a lot. Not asking for anything overly elaborate or stylish; just some simple and short animations. This is something I feel AC unity did well. Also more finishers!

Please CDPR add a camera zoom of some sort if possible

I know, it's a small thing, but it goes a long way for enjoying the game. Different people have different tastes for what it concerns camera zoom/fov. If a full controllable zoom is not possible at last include some different zoomed in/out perspectives a la GTA V. For example I would like to play more closer to one shoulder, sort of how it was in the E3 demo and how it is now when using Witcher sense.

I don't either think it is a difficult thing to implement so if you have the time I'm sure many people would also like a zoom out/in for Geralt included (naturally this is for outside of combat).

Last edited:
I'd like to add, the mechanics behind this make putting points into "Arrow Reflection" useless. I've actually left melee combat range before, sword auto-goes away, just to have a mob start shooting me with arrows that I can't block because now I'm "out-of-combat-sword-out-Geralt" or something. Anybody else experience this?

Top Bottom