Camera auto-center

+
Camera auto-center

I am really enjoying this game so far but there is just one annoying little thing that if configurable, would really help me enjoy this game even more. While out and about on my horse, I'm looking around and taking in the beautiful scenery but all of the sudden, the camera centers itself if I'm not moving it and I'm now looking straight ahead. This same thing happens on several other games that I play like World of Warcraft for example, but in the settings I can turn off auto-centering and am able to walk in any direction while my camera is looking where I tell it to. I am in control of centering or not centering my camera.

Is there any possibly way to turn off the camera auto-centering? Thanks for your response.

-Kelvin

I just registered here for the purpose of saying the exact same thing. (Using a controller- PS4)

Best game of my life. Auto Center Camera is destroying it.

In most games of this type, I never fast travel at first, then do it once or twice when I'm in a real world rush, and after a while it happens more and more.

However, in The Witcher 3, I actually want to avoid fast travel just so that I can experience the world and it's vistas that are greatly affected by the time of day, weather or just by the direction that I'm viewing them from. And that can happen, as long as I stand perfectly still. Sadly, once in motion, the camera's auto center feature kicks in and what should have been an immersive trip across a gloriously beautiful landscape turns into a battle for Geralt's neck, me just trying to look at that stream on the right while still in motion, the game insisting that 0.5 seconds are all I need and forcing Geralt to look forward again. I shouldn't have to literally STOP to smell the roses but the camera forces me too.

I've never been more immersed in a game and I just want to move forward while looking in a different direction. Please, just give us the option to turn Auto Center off.

Last edited:
Yes, this is an issue..
The auto centre whilst on the horse is a big immersion killer.
It also doesn't make sense to have the auto camera on when on the horse, because you need to have it turned off so you can look at enemies to the left, right or behind you. With the boat it works very well.. but on the horse it feels like it's taking control of the game away from you.

• RED Point
Reactions: Fuz
Yes, yes, a million times yes. All I want is to be able to hold D while using the mouse to look to my left without the horse then deciding to continue turning right. I think I found the ini file that controls this irritating feature tooso, I was digging through the ini files and found these in bin/config/r4game/legacy/base/gameplayso, couple ideas. Is 'car steer' on the horse settings what makes it impossible to look to the sides while riding, as holding down 'a' causes the horse to turn, not simply ride in that direction?and do we think the horse input cooldown is the cause of the delay in movement for roach? [Horse2]CarSteer=truem_horseInputCooldown=1m_horseSpeedCtrl=truem_horseSpeedDec=0.25m_horseSpeedDecCooldown=1m_horseSpeedInc=0.75m_horseSpeedStep=0.25m_horseStaminaCooldown=3m_horseStaminaDec=0.1m_horseStaminaInc=0.05WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE FIX THESE DAMN FORUMS! I CANT POST ANYTHING WITH THIS BUGGY MESS! INCIDENTALLY, IF YOU HADN'T GUESSED THIS WAS WRITTEN WITH SPACES AND APPROPRIATE PUNCTUATION. BUT NOW THE SPACES ARE GONE. APOLOGIES FOR THE CAPS, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO DIFFERENTIATE TEXT FOR ME NOW.

Last edited:
I just registered here for the purpose of saying the exact same thing. (Using a controller- PS4)

Best game of my life. Auto Center Camera is destroying it.

In most games of this type, I never fast travel at first, then do it once or twice when I'm in a real world rush, and after a while it happens more and more.

However, in The Witcher 3, I actually want to avoid fast travel just so that I can experience the world and it's vistas that are greatly affected by the time of day, weather or just by the direction that I'm viewing them from. And that can happen, as long as I stand perfectly still. Sadly, once in motion, the camera's auto center feature kicks in and what should have been an immersive trip across a gloriously beautiful landscape turns into a battle for Geralt's neck, me just trying to look at that stream on the right while still in motion, the game insisting that 2 seconds are all I need and forcing Geralt's to look forward again. I shouldn't have to literally STOP to smell the roses but the camera forces me too.

I've never been more immersed in a game and I just want to move forward while looking in a different direction. Please, just give us the option to turn Auto Center off.

My experience is identical (PS4, controller), and I just signed up to say this as well, please add an option to turn off auto center. Please. I find myself stumbling and fighting the camera, as I want to control it manually 100%. The first hour I spent wondering what was off and so different than Witcher 2 (I played X360 version of that) and then I realised I had the exact same issue on TW2, but there was an option to turn off auto center and I never looked back. Please add this, it would make the game infinitely better.

Off topic here, it would also be great to be able to pick up items, mount the horse and climb ladders when moving fast, the action-confirm radius (or detection box, I'n no expect) should be much bigger to make the movement flow organic, rather then static.

Otherwise great game, looking forarward to the patches to come !

Last edited:
There really should be a toggle for it in the options. I tried to check the config files but couldn't find anything related to it.

If someone from CDPR is reading this, could you post a workaround for this if it's possible, please. And consider adding a toggle for it in a future patch.

So I noticed this is actually posted in the PC forum, and another message popped up on the XOne, bit it appears to be a universal issue

I looked through the INI files too, but I don't think there's a way for us to fix this. This really makes me feel like they forgot to optimize the game for mouse & keyboard. I can understand that people who play with a controller sometimes need this feature, because they can't always have their thumb on the right stick. But it has no place in the game when I play with the mouse & keyboard, and I think that even for controller users it should be optional.

I spent three hours playing yesterday and was just in the mood to wander around. I dropped a marker on the other side of the map and headed in that general direction. No goals. No time limit.

During that hat time I decided some things.

1) Without touching the camera, this game's environment is lovingly crafted and stunningly beautiful.

2) While touching the camera, whether it's the "slow pan stutter" or the camera's Auto Center, this game's environment is just a wonky illusion.

3) I always want to touch the camera. Always.

4) If I knew that, in the next year, a setting to turn off Auto Center would be added, I'd stop playing right now and wait.

5) IMO, a game's camera is it's top level interface and I can't suggest a game that I'm thinking about not playing because of camera issues.

6) Seeing all the issues and bugs being reported, tweaking the camera is probably very low on the developer's priority list.

Last edited:
... I can understand that people who play with a controller sometimes need this feature, because they can't always have their thumb on the right stick. But it has no place in the game when I play with the mouse & keyboard, and I think that even for controller users it should be optional.

I feel like it annoys me even more when I play with the controller for that reason. On m&kb, one can just move the mouse a bit to cancel the auto camera. But on a controller, when your thumb is not on the stick, you can't move the camera as fast and it becomes a bigger annoyance.

CD red must REMOVE ALL AUTO SHITLOADS that they implemmente. AUTO CENTER CAMER, AUTO SHEATHING SWORD< AUTO DRAWN SWARDS, TAKING AUTOMATICLY BATTLE STANCE ... I WANT TO CONTROL GERALT IN MY OWN WAY .. sorry for the caps but this is breaking the game for me and I wont play it until further patch of these retardish AUTOish things

I am playing on PC with a controller and the auto center camera is annoying me to no end. I can't believe it was left like this in the game, and especially without an option to turn it off. You almost feel insulted in a way when the game "takes control" for you where you are supposed to look.

I think CD red targeted their game for retards and handicapped people with all those AUTO features ... Maybe with patch.1.05 they will make Geralt swing his sword automatically who knows?

SoFX

Forum regular
Hello there. Got a temporary solution for you!

There is a mod that enables the debug console:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/m...smods.com/witcher3/ajax/modfiles/?id=28&pUp=1

And a command to disable the camera auto-center:
ToggleCameraAutoRotation()

You have to do this for both on foot and horseback, and unfortunately, each time you load your save. Not ideal by any means.

This would of course, only work on the PC version, so console peeps are going to have to wait until its patched by the developer proper-like.

Hello there. Got a temporary solution for you!

There is a mod that enables the debug console:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/m...smods.com/witcher3/ajax/modfiles/?id=28&pUp=1

And a command to disable the camera auto-center:
ToggleCameraAutoRotation()

You have to do this for both on foot and horseback, and unfortunately, each time you load your save. Not ideal by any means.

This would of course, only work on the PC version, so console peeps are going to have to wait until its patched by the developer proper-like.

Holy shit, it really works. Thank you so much for posting this. The game is a lot more enjoyable for me with manual camera.

Top Bottom