[PC] Cutscene FPS drop

+
"The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\content0\engine\swf\\videoplayer.redswf"that's the control of pre rendering cut scene??

i wish they have an official answers and response to this rather that staying quite... or any sign that they acknowledge the problems and planning to solve them somehow

Guest 3819801

Also this problem was mentioned in eurogamer:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-should-you-install-the-witcher-3-day-one-patch

Encoded video files stutter horribly after patch 1.01 is installed, with drops to as low as 22fps causing the playback to lurch in a manner that's impossible to ignore during any action. We've tested this several times with and without the update, and in every case an unpatched build of The Witcher 3 delivers a much smoother return, even if it's not perfectly locked at the intended 30fps.

The problem is, this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS4Umf6CKbU has 1500 fps in main manu (Gtx980). He says that he uses latest nvidia drivers. It's 1.02 as you can see. How the hell did he unlock the fps in main menu?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I finaly got an answer by cdprojekt which seems not concerned with this issue...

Here's their answer :

Hello there,

Cinematics and game menu have lowered FPS to 24 by design for more cinematic experience.

Could you send us a video clip of your sound-related issue?

Kind regards,

Marcin Kulikowski

Here is mine :

Hello,

First at all, thank you for your reply.

I’m so sorry to say you that but for cinematics it’s nowhere a cinematic experience because there’s a lot of stuttering and it’s just unwatchable. Lot of people complain about that in this thread http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/36654-PC-Cutscene-FPS-drop/page11 and in other forums on the web. Some people even have 18 or 19 fps and others 27 – 29 fps but always with a lot of stuttering. You should be aware there’s a real issue with pre rendered cinematics.
Here is a compare from a member for the same intro scene with awful stuttering in the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqw6Cs_WgDk and a cinematic experience (if you want call it like that) with an external player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wCWmxWn8bQ : in game it comes with lag and in a player it’s relatively smooth.

Sorry for the little harsh reply but “cinematic experience” sounds like a marketing lie to me to hide an issue. Originaly cinema came with 24 fps cause of technical limitations and with motion blur to hide the jerk effect due to the low fps. A recent movie like the Hobbit is in HFR : 48 fps for smoothest experience.

For the low sound issue I’ll try to capture that but it’s a random problem that can occur in cinematics with pre rendering or not.

Please to consider this stuttering issue cause many players like me just stopped playing the game cause of that. It ruins the experience.

Best regards,

I hope it will help.

Guest 3819801

in game it comes with lag and in a player it’s relatively smooth.

By the way, you may notice some stuttering in my second video. It's youtube problem. Gladly there is a fix. you can watch this video the second time without reloading page and then it will be 100% smooth. Not just relatively smooth. : )

Also I call this comment bullshit BACUSE https://youtu.be/uS4Umf6CKbU?t=72 this guy definitely runs cutscenes @27-28 fps. 24!=27.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, you may notice some stuttering in my second video. It's youtube problem. Gladly there is a fix. you can watch this video the second time without reloading page and then it will be 100% smooth. Not just relatively smooth. : )

Exact, you've learned me a thing :)

Also I call this comment bullshit BACUSE https://youtu.be/uS4Umf6CKbU?t=72 this guy definitely runs cutscenes @27-28 fps. 24!=27.

Totaly agree with you, we definitely live in a sad marketing and financial world where people are taken for foolish at each corner. Here it's just a game but it's the same with more major problems like food sanity, pharmaceuticals, environement, job relations, etc...

Last edited:
it's pretty simple, the engine limits the cut scene video to 28 fps.
if the video is 24 fps like they say, and they limit the framerate to 28 and we use a monitor with 60 fps, maybe locked to 30, now guess why it looks like crap.

you can make a movie with 24 fps on ps4 and xbox one and the tv will switch to 24 fps when the movie plays automatically and you will have a nice movie effect without any stutter, but on pcs, the engine will not set your monitor to 24 hz even it your monitor supports it.

so this only makes sense on consoles.

they should have re-encoded the movies with 30fps for pc.

as i work in the media business, let me think for a second..

well here is your most obvious answer: they created the movies with 24 fps and can't simply re-encode them with 30 fps now or even 60, they would need all sources, like in an after fx project and re calculate all animations and set new keyframes (!!) for every single move, if it's not a linear or curved move with two keyframes.

and do this for ANY affect, ANY layer, and stuff..

additionally you can not simply import a 24fps footage with keyframes and effects to a 30 fps project, because keyframes will still be the same amount of frames away from each other, so the movie would run slower. you would have to stretch the fx layer (if possible, i know many compositing applications that can not do that) for the keyframes of animations or try and render 6 blend frames in between, but this will also look terrible and give you doubled half transparent frames, every 4th frame.

so maybe that's the reason why they are not able to present you smooth movies on your pc.

limiting the framerate of the engine to 28 is just in my guess a try to limit it from having even more stutter. maybe 28 worked best, and in a different loading scene 22 worked better for a 24 fps movie in 60 hz mode with specific animations and animation speed.

so that's why they probably did it like that..

maybe they are working on re-working the scenes for 30 fps now, maybe not.

Last edited:
you know, i had this thought:

A. part of the cutscene issue is, it's obviously loading various game assets in the background, to decrease perceived loading times. (ie: its either you look at a cutscene or a static loading scene, tough choice).

B. vsync may also contribute. (imo, worthless to run with vsync off when your fps is lower than 60 due to tearing, but if it drops below 30, it skips 2 frames.hence vsync best at 35-50 fps). the cutscenes are capped at 30 fps, meaning they are always at/below, skipping 1 or 2 frames.

dang, i just something in the sky. it looked like a ufo. holy shit, that's a beautiful sunset.

Last edited:
it's pretty simple, the engine limits the cut scene video to 28 fps.
if the video is 24 fps like they say, and they limit the framerate to 28 and we use a monitor with 60 fps, maybe locked to 30, now guess why it looks like crap.

you can make a movie with 24 fps on ps4 and xbox one and the tv will switch to 24 fps when the movie plays automatically and you will have a nice movie effect without any stutter, but on pcs, the engine will not set your monitor to 24 hz even it your monitor supports it.

so this only makes sense on consoles.

they should have re-encoded the movies with 30fps for pc.

as i work in the media business, let me think for a second..

well here is your most obvious answer: they created the movies with 24 fps and can't simply re-encode them with 30 fps now or even 60, they would need all sources, like in an after fx project and re calculate all animations and set new keyframes (!!) for every single move, if it's not a linear or curved move with two keyframes.

and do this for ANY affect, ANY layer, and stuff..

additionally you can not simply import a 24fps footage with keyframes and effects to a 30 fps project, because keyframes will still be the same amount of frames away from each other, so the movie would run slower. you would have to stretch the fx layer (if possible, i know many compositing applications that can not do that) for the keyframes of animations or try and render 6 blend frames in between, but this will also look terrible and give you doubled half transparent frames, every 4th frame.

so maybe that's the reason why they are not able to present you smooth movies on your pc.

limiting the framerate of the engine to 28 is just in my guess a try to limit it from having even more stutter. maybe 28 worked best, and in a different loading scene 22 worked better for a 24 fps movie in 60 hz mode with specific animations and animation speed.

so that's why they probably did it like that..

maybe they are working on re-working the scenes for 30 fps now, maybe not.

Very interesting post with lot of information : )

However, some folks who ran the game before the first day one patch (so how were they able tu run it?... maybe Edward Kenway's friends lol) report that the cinematics were really smooth.

---------- Updated at 09:43 PM ----------

dang, i just something in the sky. it looked like a ufo. holy shit, that's a beautiful sunset.

Don't agree, it makes headache and it's the opposite of a good experience. There's is an issue with random low sound in the same time.

Last edited:
Guys its easy :D

Your Graphics driver settings is on Adaptive mode. Your Gpu slows down mhz and the movies are stuttering.

Just set your GPU Driver to "Prefer Maximum Performance".

so why if u exctract video and use external player is smooth and at 30fps stable (not 28 29)?

1. because your video player is not loading other game assets in the background, so you don't have to look at static loading screens instead.
2. because your video player is not skipping frames like vsync. some codecs even insert transition frames.

5. Tweak your GPU Control Panel settings for maximum performance and visual fidelity

NOTE: The following applies to NVIDIA GPUs, but I'm sure there is an equivalent for AMD ones as well!

For added in-game performance:

Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel, then with the "Manage 3D settings" tab selected on the left side of the window, select "Program Settings", find "The Witcher 3 (witcher3.exe)" in the drop-down menu and edit the following variables:

Power Management Mode: Prefer maximum performance
Threaded Optimization: On

Click the "Apply" button, then start The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, go to the "Options" menu, then "Video" and select to render the game in "Fullscreen".

Source: TheRaidenPT

While still in the NVIDIA Control Panel, navigate to the "Set PhysX configuration" and choose to offload PhysX calculations to your CPU from the "Select a PhysX processor" drop-down menu. Then click on "Apply" and you should see a framerate improvement in-game!

Source: UnrealEck

can you guys pls stop to come up with the fantasy stuff and keep this thread a little bit clean instead of making a farce out of it?

they created the movies with 24 fps and can't simply re-encode them with 30 fps now or even 60

this sentence alone qualifies to call the rest of the post bullshit, because those videos are pre-rendered with 30fps.. there are no videos with 24fps

and also fact is:

not all people have this issue
there are tons of footage outthere in which those movies run smooth.. just check youtube
the consoles have the same issue
according to the last patch notes the cutscene playback should have been improved but it wasnt
for some people, including myself, those videos, including the title screen, are nowhere near 24-30 fps but cap at 19fps
if you unpack those movies they run smooth at 30fps

and 30fps is the minimum you need for stutter free video-playback even on consoles..
it just doesnt work like filmed movies with 24fps

so no, it is not about how those movies have been recorded/encoded because they are recorded
in smooth (smooth enough) 30fps and only the playback is messed up on some systems and providing even less than 24fps

and no it is not because something is loading in the background.. i can look at the title menu for 2 hrs without any workload on my harddisks and it still is stuck at 19 fps

so yeah again: stop with making up stuff and only post if you know what you are talking about. which clearly isnt the case if i take a look at the last few posts

and ffs: stop posting so called "solutions" which you can find in other threads already over and over again... all this bullshit has not the slightest effect on those cutscenes.. so pls stop messing up this thread for gods sake

Last edited:
so why if u exctract video and use external player is smooth and at 30fps stable (not 28 29)?

have you got a source from where this information came from and which file was extracted ?

who did extract it and which external player was used ? i don't see a way to accomplish this with any tools, so i doubt that really happened.

i could only find ONE .usm video file and that was one of the intro files that played with 60 fps anyway, demuxed it to see the following:

Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 29.9 MB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 32
Frame Rate: 30.00
Total Duration: 00:00:20:03
Average Data Rate: 1.5 MB / second

so this just confirms that the intro videos are encoded with 30 fps, but not the cutscenes.

there is a file called movies.bundle, and bundle seems to be a specific archive format for cd projekt red, or maybe the same .bundle format also used in several EA Titles.

all i got from searching for a .usm video file was a placeholder ;)

so i am trying with different extraction methods right now and see if i can find the real cutscene videos in raw mode with different video headers, but i doubt it will work.

does anyone know how to extract the .bundle archives or confirm the information if the cutscene videos are really 30 fps ?

---------- Updated at 10:27 PM ----------

this sentence alone qualifies to call the rest of the post bullshit, because those videos are pre-rendered with 30fps.. there are no videos with 24fps

thenidur, the information of 24fps videos is not from me, i reacted to that statement and now i am about to find out if this is even true, but when reading all the comments in this thread i really doubt that the info given here was serious.

i agree on the rest of your post.

---------- Updated at 10:40 PM ----------

Guys its easy :D

Your Graphics driver settings is on Adaptive mode. Your Gpu slows down mhz and the movies are stuttering.

Just set your GPU Driver to "Prefer Maximum Performance".

setting standard instead of adaptive vsync does NOT help, the engine sets the framerate to 28 when playing movies and just in that situation.
maybe someone typed a wrong hex code in some internal ini file or whatever.

turning off vsync doesn't even help, so it's not related to vsync or refresh rate.

adaptive vsync is even there to help you get a smoother animation when fps fall below the vsync target framerate, so how could this help ?

here is a video that explains adaptive vsync.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/videos

maximum performance does not influence engine framerate really when playing videos, i also tested that.

and for texture streaming, influencing the engine framerate for playing videos would make the framerate differ and not stay at 28 fps-

final conclusion: could be related to borderless windowed mode as i can not activate fullscreen on my machine with this game. but as the whole game and other videos (usm files, mpeg) play fine, i put my bet on a render engine in which the videos play and internal video player problems.

Last edited:
i could only find ONE .usm video file and that was one of the intro files that played with 60 fps anyway, demuxed it to see the following:

Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 29.9 MB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 32
Frame Rate: 30.00
Total Duration: 00:00:20:03
Average Data Rate: 1.5 MB / second

so this just confirms that the intro videos are encoded with 30 fps, but not the cutscenes.

so how was this movie played with 60fps for you if it is only encoded in 30fps?
and sadly i have to inform you, that this 20 second movie showing the sword and the CDPR logo behaves the same way all cutscenes behave for me...
means: IT IS RUNNING WITH GOD DAMN 19fps!!!!!

there is no reason to assume that the other cutscenes are encoded in less than 30fps
but there is more than enough reason to believe the other scenes run as bad as this 20 second intro because of the same error..

and like i said already: there is more than enough gameplay material out there were you can clearly see that those movies arent supposed to stutter or run with FPS below 30

and all other settings dont have any effect at all. i can set everthing to low. disable v-sync, set driver to performance mode, change the priority of the witcher3.exe in taskmanager and everything else that was mentioned here and in other threads, but it wont change anything in those cutscenes...

some of those changes effect the gameplay but i dont need more frames while playing. with my mixed medium/high settings i already achieve 60fps in-game... i just need 11 fps more in the cutscenes.

and pls nobody try to tell me that 11fps more or less dont make a huge difference. that might be right if we talk about 60fps or 50fps.. but it makes a huge difference if we talk about 19 or 30fps... even movies dont run properly with less than 24fps. i wouldnt even waste my time posting here if i were anywhere close to 28fps.. for gods sake i would even happily embrace stable 24fps...

and p.s.: sorry if i sound a little bit angry. is just because it is a real issue for me and some people show up with some strange excuses and "solutions" and messing this thread up and act like there is no issue just like the support did with this cheap ubisoft-like excuse "we did this because of the cinematic atmosphere" even if they know their cutscene playback is messed up and tried to fix it with patch 1.03 already

seriously: atm i just ask myself if CDPR is trying to become the next ubisoft. first the visual downgrade (which i dont care much about) and now the same stupid excuses for 30fps and even worse for less than 24fps

Last edited:
have you got a source from where this information came from and which file was extracted

ofc i have extracted the file from The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\content0\bundles\movies.bundle..................\cutscenes\pre_rendered_cutscenes\intro.usm

ps 30 fotogrammi secondo = 30 frame rate

Attachments

• McGRsz.jpg
    McGRsz.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
yes that's the intro, how about the other videos like the one with the animated comic in which he talks of yennefer (blue black pic, scrolling up, then white red black pic, fade out)

---------- Updated at 12:03 AM ----------

so how was this movie played with 60fps for you if it is only encoded in 30fps?

30 fps play fine in 60hz mode, that's what i meant, in the end in 60 hz mode you have 60 fps.

30 fps movies are displayed for 2 frames in 60 hz mode.

Top Bottom