[PC] Cutscene FPS drop

+
yes that's the intro, how about the other videos like the one with the animated comic in which he talks of yennefer (blue black pic, scrolling up, then white red black pic, fade out)

it is same to all video

Attachments

• XzfjtS.jpg
    XzfjtS.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 53
downgrading the nvidia driver makes my game run without crash and smoother but the cg cutscene videos are all feels laggy i think its just bad conversion , they need to release a whole new bunch of them.. so far i play with my 3d tv i enable 200hz scans and it smoothen it artificially ... its game breaking imho... they should really address this

I've really interesting news for you guys! By investigating how a CPU OC would improve the performance in the game, I discovered that the low framerate for pre rendered movies and the menu is a performance issue with the CPU!

By OC my CPU to 4.0 GHz, the main menu run around 350 fps and the pre rendered movies at 27 - 30 fps (movies seem locked at 30 fps in fact). So I think the menu and this movies are rendered by the cpu instead the gpu which would give a high framerate.

Also their answer with the 24 fps lock is totaly bullshit and it's not possible to take people for foolish like that! I will contact the support again and I hope a honest answer this time with a patch in the right way.

CD Projekt seems to take a very bad way this times.

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

I've really interesting news for you guys! By investigating how a CPU OC would improve the performance in the game, I discovered that the low framerate for pre rendered movies and the menu is a performance issue with the CPU!

By OC my CPU to 4.0 GHz, the main menu run around 350 fps and the pre rendered movies at 27 - 30 fps (movies seem locked at 30 fps in fact). So I think the menu and this movies are rendered by the cpu instead the gpu which would give a high framerate.

Also their answer with the 24 fps lock is totaly bullshit and it's not possible to take people for foolish like that! I will contact the support again and I hope a honest answer this time with a patch in the right way.

CD Projekt seems to take a very bad way this times.

Hmm that's strange. I run my CPU @4.4Ghz and menus and cutscenes are locked @22fps. I also tried to downclock my CPU and it is exactly the same amount of frames per second. By the way when in menu/cutscenes my cpu usage is really low. Like ~5% and gpu is only 1%.

Which CPU do you have? It seems that the RAM performance is important too. That make me think that the CPU is calculating these cinematics instead of the GPU.
By increase gradually my CPU OC, it increased the framerate for the menu in the same time and fall on a pre rendered cinematic wall near 27 fps really quickly

However the problem is not caused by the fps "for me", because if u setting GPU in the control panel to "maximum performance" my framerate are stabilized at 29 30 but the stuttering remains, identical with the default settings "adatable" and 27 28 fps ..

ps only one thing change the clock of gpu is always at max speed

Maybe there are several reasons for this poor movie framerate but there is one with the CPU for sure.
Mine is a Intel core i5 760 five years old and I can handle ~350 fps in the main menu at 4.0 GHz instead of 26 fps at the default clock. People on youtube who run the menu at 1400 fps have a recent high end cpu such a core i7 4790k.

If the cpu can't run properly an instruction, you'll have poor performance, even the processor isn't fully load.

---------- Updated at 06:57 PM ----------

ps only one thing change the clock of gpu is always at max speed

Exactly for the max performance in the nvidia control panel, and a gpu don't need its max clock to run properly a simple movie.

edit : However what is it, CD Projekt need to fix that and stop his trash Ubisoft marketing like.

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

uhm idk i have old q9550 + gtx970 and main menu still at 1550fps...
That's the strangest part for me.
I don't know why but fps just seems to be capped at exactly 22 fps. Turning vsync on/off, manipulating nvidia drivers does nothing. It's just 22fps. No less no more. -.- It is somehow related to cutscenes. I can feel it in my guts. Because they are running at 22fps too.
Hmm. I already mentioned that but I did fresh windows install and the results are same.

That's the strangest part for me.
I don't know why but fps just seems to be capped at exactly 22 fps. Turning vsync on/off, manipulating nvidia drivers does nothing. It's just 22fps. No less no more. -.- It is somehow related to cutscenes. I can feel it in my guts. Because they are running at 22fps too.
Hmm. I already mentioned that but I did fresh windows install and the results are same.

There are completely strange results, I returned to my tests with OC cpu and now the main menu is at an unstable 30 - 100 fps and the cinematics are caped at 27 fps at 4.0 GHz. At default clock, still 26 stable fps in the menu and 23 fps for cinematic. Something is totally wrong with the pre rendering and that sucks!

---------- Updated at 07:54 PM ----------

k i understand u... but idk the stuttering is related to fps...why i can have 30fps stable but the video stuttering like hell

Maybe it's unstable and you don't see it. It can be micro drops (in time) and you don't see it with fraps (or other) but you see judder effect cause of the asynchrone frames with your monitor. It's just a supposition.

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

k i understand u... but idk the stuttering is related to fps...why i can have 30fps stable but the video stuttering like hell
Just as an experiment try to set fps limiter in Rivatuner to 30fps for witcher 3 process, go to nvidiainspector, vertical Sync Tear Control - standard, Vertical Sync - 1/2 Refresh Rate, Pre-rendered frames 1. Tell the results.

ps i see only frametime change from 30ms to 15ms same time

So it would said that your framerate has'nt micro drop but micro jump to 60 fps : 1/30 ms = 33 Hz (30 fps if a sync somewhere) and 1/15 ms = 66 Hz

edit : try vsync with 30 fps cap as Kajori suggested would be interessant for your case

---------- Updated at 08:24 PM ----------

omg is smooth omg how

You have'nt micro jump to 60 fps anymore if my theory is correct!

Last edited:
yep now is perfect...but i don't wana play the game at 30fps -.-"

ps the strange think if i set rivatuner more than 30fps the stuttering back again... and fps jump to 29 :S

Last edited:

Guest 3819801

omg is smooth omg how???
Thank consoles for that... The bad part for you is that you have to play with 30fps cap to achieve smooth cutscenes and smooth gameplay.

So thanks to you now we know for 100% that there is a way to achieve smooth cutscenes at least @30 fps (that's the ultimate goal for me anyway, cuz I can't achieve 60 fps with my 680).
Also we know for sure that Tech support told us absolute bullshit.

But anyway, can you help us (me atleast) now? So, a few questions:
What cpu do you have and what are the clock speeds?
Do you use page file or you turned it off?
Driver version? (Sorry If I already asked that from you already)
Also where is game installed? C drive? Or else?

Damn I need to uncap this damn 22fps thing......

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom