Why am I forced to use the corresponding sword to nonmonster/monster?

+
Why am I forced to use the corresponding sword to nonmonster/monster?

I thought the point of having different color health bars was for YOU to clue in what sword to preferably use against the enemy.

I quickly noticed Geralt forces you to pick the silver/steel sword to the corresponding enemy.

My silver sword was really beat up to crap so i wanted to use a steel sword on a drowner, but found Geralt resheathing his sword and pulling out the silver....????? kinda takes out opportunity for immersion and role play. is steel that ineffective in lore that they felt the need to force you to use the silver sword against even fleshy monsters with no background of weaknesses to silver?

on that note of sheathing.... theres also a bug where he resheathes and goes swordless sometimes during battle, but i digress. (on xbox one FYI)

just for clarity.....I LOVE this game. just wondering as to why they decided on this.

Last edited:
steel sword is for humans, silver sword is for monsters and magic creatures, simple as that

thats fine, but why did they bother putting in the different health bars then??

on alot of the dev videos i can almost bet they say "you see that his health bar is silver? that indicates YOU must use the silver sword" . atleast to me i understood they would leave it to you to figure out and notice the health bar. (i.e immerse yourself and investigate the enemy before you attack as a witcher might)

Geralt is almost a century old witcher in the Witcher 3. Pretty sure he doesn't need the smart ass controlling him before choosing which kind of sword he uses to kill something. That's how you gotta consider the thing, games gotta have this kind of "forced" features sometimes to keep up with the lore and logic of the background they're in. For example, in my own opinion, I'd find it pretty stupid if I had to choose which sword to use against a Nekker when I know the silver sword is used against monsters, and that it's the Witcher's trademark to use that one when fighting a monster. Putting it in another context, imagine a modern shooter game. You got an anti-tank RPG and a pistol in your inventory and a tank suddenly appears near you. The character you are controlling is a war veteran who has seen dozens of battles. Yet he needs you to tell him that a pistol won't be that good against a tank.

See where I'm getting at ?

Geralt is almost a century old witcher in the Witcher 3. Pretty sure he doesn't need the smart ass controlling him before choosing which kind of sword he uses to kill something. That's how you gotta consider the thing, games gotta have this kind of "forced" features sometimes to keep up with the lore and logic of the background they're in. For example, in my own opinion, I'd find it pretty stupid if I had to choose which sword to use against a Nekker when I know the silver sword is used against monsters, and that it's the Witcher's trademark to use that one when fighting a monster. Putting it in another context, imagine a modern shooter game. You got an anti-tank RPG and a pistol in your inventory and a tank suddenly appears near you. The character you are controlling is a war veteran who has seen dozens of battles. Yet he needs you to tell him that a pistol won't be that good against a tank.

See where I'm getting at ?

In most FPS you can choose to shoot a tank with a pistol if you want though, so your analogy is a bit off.

well for example. there are the beast hybrids ingame. the ones that look like bears but really are kind of a spin on a werewolf, then there are regular bears.

even in the bestiary it says geralt may have a hard time discerning which is which up until after killing it and inspecting its teeth. in the game youre controlling Geralt as if he were YOU. so your point is invalid anyway.

btw...what if your RPG was broken? would you go punch it then or pull out your .45?(for a tank id obviously run away, but for swords its a different story)

Last edited:
well for example. there are the beast hybrids ingame. the ones that look like bears but really are kind of a spin on a werewolf, then there are regular bears.

even in the bestiary it says geralt may have a hard time discerning which is which up until after killing it and inspecting its teeth. in the game youre controlling Geralt as if he were YOU. so your point is invalid anyway.

btw...what if your RPG was broken? would you go punch it then or pull out your .45?(for a tank id obviously run away, but for swords its a different story)

And then it's simply about the fact that one feels with more control if able to choose what to do instead of having the game automatically doing it for you. You feel more immersed in the character that way IMO.

And then it's simply about the fact that one feels with more control if able to choose what to do instead of having the game automatically doing it for you. You feel more immersed in the character that way IMO.

I agree with you. I love the game so far and it's probably one of my favorite games, but this is one thing that really irritates me. I really dislike having a choice made for me. Like the swords in this or the auto switch in most fps games. Just let me figure out which sword to use and if I choose wrong let it be a screw up I made. I could argue though that Geralt could have a muscle reflex by now but still it irks me.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I love the game so far and it's probably one of myfavorite games, but this is one thing that really irritates me. Ireally dislike haveing a choice made for me. Like the swords in this or the auto switch in most fps games. Just let me figure out which sword to use and if I choose wrong let it be a screw up I made. I could argue though that Geralt could have a muscle reflex by now but still it irks me.

The game is great overall, just a few minor things that could be easily patched up. Hopefully the devs have folks scouting these forums and taking note. Some requests really come up too often to be ignored.

I admit it would be nice to not be forced into choosing a specific sword. But really Geralt would never actually use the improper sword for the job. This also takes the guess work out of battles where it may not be initially clear what your facing etc. Also accessibility is things developers consider when making games. Having the choice of sword in the players hands and then having them choose incorrectly and struggling with fights is not the ideal situation. And yes I know by reading and such most half decent players would know the correct sword.

If were speaking more realistically and I'm sure this applies to the Witcher world. But silver is a softer metal than that of iron/steel. Thus it wouldnt make sense to use it on someone sporting a full set of plate mail. Saying this though I believe the actual silver swords Witchers use are actually only coated in silver (not entirely sure someone with more knowledge of the books would know more).

A toggle for this feature would definitely be a nice compromise and probably appease everyone.

If it's immersion that you're after, you should remember Vesemir's lessons and keep your swords in good shape. Problem solved! :hai:

let me live free! :comeatmebro:

---------- Updated at 02:57 AM ----------

If it's immersion that you're after, you should remember Vesemir's lessons and keep your swords in good shape. Problem solved! :hai:

i was bankrupt. :(

Swords shouldnt auto sheathe or unsheathe ever. never ever. never. It is a lowest common denominator, bovine fecal matter, design decision. Whoever came up with the idea and whoever approved the idea should resign. They should become low level bureaucrats in some third world communist backwater where their innate talent to force mediocrity on to others would be appreciated

Last edited:
Swords shouldnt auto sheathe or unsheathe ever. never ever. never. It is a lowest common denominator, bovine fecal matter, design decision. Whoever came up with the idea and whoever approved the idea should resign. They should become low level bureaucrats in some third world communist backwater where their innate talent to force mediocrity on to others would be appreciated

I'm not sure how to even respond to this correctly. You are really really exaggerating this issue (maybe I'm missing the sarcasm...?). While I agree auto sheathe is terrible. Unsheathe is not really that bad. As stated it fits with Geralt and it helps people who aren't as awesomely ELITE as you. Believe it or not there are casual gamers who wouldn't grasp the concept of the correct sword initially. Saying someone should lose their job is also pretty asinine If this is such a game breaking feature for you I think you have larger problems.

Again though and knowing CDPR this will be introduced. A toggle would make everyone happy.

I don't even think there should be colour-coded health bars tbh. Way too much hand-holding this time around, imo. Yeah sure, you can turn some stuff off. But the game has been mechanically balanced under the assumption that they're enabled.

I'm not talking about quest-related / pointers, etc here btw. I'm talking about stuff like literally telling you everything you need to use to kill everything. Hints in the bestiary bio would have been enough, without big icons for abilitys/items saying "derp, use this to kill, kk?"

I don't even think there should be colour-coded health bars tbh. Way too much hand-holding this time around, imo. Yeah sure, you can turn some stuff off. But the game has been mechanically balanced under the assumption that they're enabled.

I'm not talking about quest-related / pointers, etc here btw. I'm talking about stuff like literally telling you everything you need to use to kill everything. Hints in the bestiary bio would have been enough, without big icons for abilitys/items saying "derp, use this to kill, kk?"

Even more control over certain aspects would be nice for gamers such as yourself. Saying that though all these decisions and especially the 'derp' icons in the bestiary were most likely to make the game more accessible. This is many peoples first Witcher game and while developers shouldn't exactly cater to only casuals. Especially CDPR who was built by the more hardcore gamers of the first two games. These designs ultimately help sell more games as a wider audience can enjoy them.

I remember several complaints/posts from the Witcher 2 about many being stuck in flotsam or other locations with no idea what to do. More specifically that quest to destroy the monster nests and the fact that no one read the damn book to find out how to do it. Admittedly their own fault but still.

Extended options to show/hide these things would be preferred though.

Seriously Geralt carrying two long sword is a part of a lore. Steel sword are for human notice the fact steel sword have lower damage than silver sword but silver sword are more brittle.

Why do want to sacrifice your expensive sword like silver weapon to cut a human.
Humans in the game are not quite hard to kill except for some armored ones but fighting those mob will make your silver sword degrade quicker.
In the game there is a weapon degrade mechanic and i notice silver sword are quite brittle. Also no one forcing you to use both sword. You could just use one sword if you want to but with weapon degrade mechanic it will be expensive.

The only thing i hate with this mechanic is that its too freaking sensitive that Geralt will sometime sheath his sword he is fighting w/ a mob.

there used to be a difference in the type of damage the silver and steel swords -- reference the 35 min demo -- which would limit you to which sword you ought to use. i imagine the health-bar hand-holding was important if there was such a huge difference in the game. using a silver sword, regardless of whether it's beaten to shit, is still probably better than using the steel, is what that would have meant. i imgine this is just a ghost of that old system.

idk i'd say it'd be a bit lore breaking if geralt didn't automatically use the correct weapon. i haven't ever had him resheath my chosen sword and switch though, even if it was the incorrect weapon. maybe it's a platform difference thing.

Top Bottom