Saving with DLC installed does not allow you continue without DLC installed... Really?

+
Saving with DLC installed does not allow you continue without DLC installed... Really?

Basically I downloaded the DLC out of curiosity, not realizing it disables beard growth, then realized having all of five different hairstyles is hardly worth sacrificing Geralt's precious crumb catcher.

Apparently some have been able to select "clean shaven" at the barber, and supposedly this allows the beard to grow normally again. Well not in my case, and as a result I promptly ditched the DLC, assuming I could continue like before--like in MOST games--but I then discover I am now unable to continue my save progress without the Beards & Hairstyles DLC, which means no beard:(

It's not "game-breaking," but it seems like a glaring oversight all things considered. Hope this gets addressed.

It's always been this way for games that have DLC installed. The first game I've encountered where I realized it caused save loading issues with DLC removed was Red Dead Redemption in 2010.

Not for a while it hasn't.

In fact, most modern games (that I've played at least) have been able to navigate this issue without fail. In fact, one of the biggest, jankiest rpg's, Skyrim, you could revert to a DLC'd save file without the DLC installed, no problem.

Not trying to make mountains out of molehills here, but it is somewhat of an antiquated save file issue to exist in what is otherwise a stellar game... especially when you consider it's a COSMETIC dlc

---------- Updated at 06:38 AM ----------

Just to reiterate, it seems you absolutely do NOT want to install that DLC if you want to keep beard growth--a feature that is more than cosmetic imo. This seems like a rare instance where "more" is actually less, which sucks because I'm now stuck with less. Either I start over, or continue without...

If anyone has any workarounds to reenable beard growth, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You can't use a save file with the DLC if you don't have it installed, because there is the chance that you are wearing the DLC armor or have the beard, etc.

However, this DLC does not stop beard growth. If you get a clean shave, it will grow like it used to. It just takes time. :)

I don't think merely having the DLC installed does that, my Geralt's beard is still growing and I have the DLC.

Edit Ah, beaten to it by a mod.