CD Projekt Red has set the bar so high for future RPG's purely with just side quests.

+
CD Projekt Red has set the bar so high for future RPG's purely with just side quests.

I was excited for the next fallout/elder scrolls game. But Bethesda need to improve their side quests to the calibre of the ones in this game. Not to mention everything else cdpr has made to make this game so awesome!

Yeah, the side quests are unbelievable. But it's really just the general attention to detail. I don't know how I'm going to play anyone else's half-assed crap anymore after this game.

I was excited for the next fallout/elder scrolls game. But Bethesda need to improve their side quests to the calibre of the ones in this game. Not to mention everything else cdpr has made to make this game so awesome!

I'm glad I'm not the only one , sunk 45hrs into the game, mainly doing side quest and gwent. Finest crafted sidequest in an RPG I've played in a long time. Bethesda makes a lot of copy and paste quest.

CDPR have been raising the bar for quests and writing ever since the first game. Nobody has been able to match them so far and nobody will. And why would they? Bioware and Bethesda still sell millions with their pathetic efforts, so why try harder?

Agree. Far better than the typical

NPC: My brother was lost in the wood, can you find him
YOu: Sure
(Went out & find her brother's copse, identified by a letter. Return)
You: Your brother is dead I found this letter on his body.
NPC: Oh, thats sad, but thank you
(Get rewards)

I would just like to thank CDProjekt Red for making me love gaming again. I love the stories lore. It feels like a mix of Old Norse, Northern European folklore mixed with the Brothers Grimm. I am definitely going to be reading some of the books. I cant believe the level of detail and player roleplay choice in this game. It is an amzing achievement.

Yep, you can tell that effort was put into the generic fetch quests by lacing the narrative with a interesting story that adds to the lore. Sadly, I guess for other devs, this is simply not worth the effort. I think at the end of the day, I suspect that CDProjektRed wanted to create a game that they would be proud to play, it definite shows if this is the case.

Man, don't even get me started, I just completed
Towerful of Mice - with the lamp
and it was glorious! I'm pleasantly surprised by the variety of the quests. Even though theoretically all you can do is fighting, using your senses and talking to people, they all feel distinct and really enjoyable so far. I've been tempering my excitement for the game lately, but now I see it was unnecessary. This game has not only lived up to the hype, it's managed to exceed my expectations.

UI and controls are 8s, everything else is a 10 for me, well done, CDPR!

Last edited:
Yes, the secondary quests and Witcher contracts are simply superb, they are without question the best ever made in any game so far at this scale and complexity. What is even more impressive is; they don't feel forced or out of place and flow into or around the main campaign beautifully. 10/10 They do one other thing, they add to the re-playability of the game as well.

In a way, WItcher 3 feel like an adventure game, which is good, or an interactive novel, except you get to have more choices. Quests at White Orchard are ok, but the game really picked up in Velen.

One think amazing is something, a side quest lead you to another, like the ones with Keria.
I enjoy my adventure so much with her, that I replay a session to have a happy parting (for now) with her, & not end in sadness.

First of all this game is indeed the new bar by which all open world Rpgs will be judged. However (and I already assume I'll get some hate etc for this). If anyone is able to surpass CDPR my money would be on Bethesda. While their games so often sell a ton I realize a lot of people don't actually enjoy them . And really they can't stand up to this game obviously.

Besides being greedy as of late. Bethesda has always been good at crafting open world's. And most of their games were the current bar for RPGs in their days too. I think it's impossible to say that a lot of inspiration for whatever open world can't be traced back in a way to some Elder Scrolls game.

That said this game is amazing and CDPR has done amazing things with quests especially. Something that hasn't ever been done this well. But if developers are smart they'll now be drawing their inspiration from this game and will end up with a lot more top quality RPGs because of CDPRs work.

Yeah, the side quests are unbelievable. But it's really just the general attention to detail. I don't know how I'm going to play anyone else's half-assed crap anymore after this game.

Yeah I got the same feeling half way through witcher 3, I was telling myself perhaps I should quit gaming till the next CDPR title. I really can't imagine myself enjoying anything else right now.

Yeah sometimes when I do side quests I don't know if it's an main mission or just an side quests.

The biggest bar they set is in graphics. There are many shooters that have amazing graphics, but not much in RPG genre. We get more of Pillars of Eternity type games built on old engines. I want to see more of huge openworld RPGs with visuals that blow you away

TW3's side content is first rate and it does indeed set a high bar.

Bethesda have been very low key, particularly with regard to Fallout 4.
The structure of Fallout 3 side content was good (and probably better structured than Skyrim) so my hopes for Fallout 4 remains high.

I have great fondness for the games of BioWare and Ubisoft when they are at their best,
but TW3 underlines that in future they will need to be delivering at their best...

Besides being greedy as of late. Bethesda has always been good at crafting open world's. And most of their games were the current bar for RPGs in their days too. I think it's impossible to say that a lot of inspiration for whatever open world can't be traced back in a way to some Elder Scrolls game.
Sadly, Bethesda's games are not for me. I cannot say I enjoyed any out of 3 I played.
Fallout 3 raped fallout's lore, timeline and simple logic so badly, I cringe every time soeone mentions this game. Not to mention completely forgettable characters (I remember like ONE side character from this game).
Skyrim was kind of fun to play, but it's main story was so god damn generic, it was unbelievable. I did spend over 400 hours on this game, along several playthroughs, and it suffers from the same issues that Fallout 3 did - uninteresting quests that most of feel similar; boring, flat characters; terrible main storyline...
And then there's Dishonored, which almost everyone praises, but I barely even finished it. I enjoyed new Thief more, than I did Dishonored, despite the fact, that from gameplay and technical perspective it was a much worse game.

So I don't have much of an expectation for Fallout 4.

I'm hoping more for new Mass Effect game. BioWare's writing team has not been doing so great for a few years now (Mass Effect's 3 ending, entire DA2, Dragon Age Inquisition's ending...), but they're still better than Bethesda's writers.

But matching The Witcher 3 seems almost impossible now, for either of this companies. Although I'd love them to prove me wrong. The better games come out, the happier I am...and competition means even more great games in the future.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree with the OP more, sadly I think the likes of Bethesda and Bioware will see the new high bar and be quite happy to walk under it knowing their games will sell anyway.

What I love about the quests is there is no real right or wrong just choices. I found at first I was trying to be too generous by knocking back rewards, especially ones given by poorer people. But then I found I didn't have enough coin to even repair my weapons/armor so now I am accepting rewards and upping how much they offer through bartering! The quests so far have all been amazing CDPR need to teach other studios such as Bethesda how to create quests!

Last edited:
The biggest bar they set is in graphics. There are many shooters that have amazing graphics, but not much in RPG genre.

The beauriful day & night cycle really makes the graphics I think. I wish the interior lighting was just as good. It's still a great looking game overall.

My opinion is that it's about time Bethesda gets some serious competition, since no one could come close to what they were doing, Bethesda started going lazy and too comfy in their throne, now they have to get up me thinks.

Top Bottom