Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
lighting & foliage, & I am good as far as visual. Gameplay wise, I have little to complain.

No one is saying the game looks bad except the trolls. I think its weird because , Its not that the game looks horrible its people feel the game could look better.

I have the PC GoG version , a pretty good PC and the PS4 Collector's Edition.

I LOVE The game , at the same time there is a certain wish that someone could bring back the certain visual flair that the Sword of Destiny trailer has.

The honest truth though, I'm so into doing stuff while playing that I don't even really care about the graphics that much. Game really sucks me into its world and time just flies.

That's what happens to me also, but this unshaded? low def foliage is everywhere. :p
And I would really want the old lighting back, the current is sooo flat.

Game looks great on my PC. Only trolls keep screaming downgrade. It's an insult to the developers that worked hard on this game.

Cry more, crybabyies. Your tears quench my thirst for troll tears.

The low quality flat Foliage is unmissable, as you often need to slow down to pick up loot. Its hard to miss them.

I think no one here is saying the game looks ugly, but many think ther visuals can be improved. We are als not being unreasonable, & hoping lighting & foliage to be on par, or at least close with existing open world games like dragon age, GTA5, is not demanding.

I mean look at the details & volume of grass on DA:I image I pose earlier, & DA:I is a cross gen game.

Game looks great on my PC. Only trolls keep screaming downgrade. It's an insult to the developers that worked hard on this game.

Cry more, crybabyies. Your tears quench my thirst for troll tears.

Dude you are the troll did you NOT Read what I said on the previous page , the game looks fine . Doesn't mean people don't want the game to Look better.

Most people with Eyes can agree that the Sword of Destiny trailer looks better than the current state of the game , this includes many things like lighting , better textures and meshes on faces , foilage , soft particles.

Am I insulting the developers by buying the game twice on Both Console and PC and the Collector's Edition ?

What people don't understand is there is a difference between the game looking good and fine and the game looking gorgeous . Both are perfectly playable. Example Skyrim Vanilla looks fine , Skyrim with Lighting Tweaks + ENB + HD Textures + Parallax Mapping Looks gorgeous.

If you have a beast PC , you always want the game to look even better , thats the reason people play at 4K. Even if your PC is crap you still want better PC graphical settings like Ubersampling or SoD Lighting.

Back in 2011 , I was running a Crappy PC and played the Witcher 2 at 720p . 3 years later I bought 2 980s and Ran the game a 4K Ultra and It looks AWESOME.

Personally I find the agrument that gameplay is great so we should not complain about the visuals or downgrade, or anything negative about the game is poor. Its like saying the car performance great, so you shouldn't complain about the navigation system. We should be able to applause the performance of the car, & at the same time, we should be able to complain about the Navigation system. You buy a car due to its overall package, & as the car owner, you have every right to complain & demand improvement (if possible) if the navigation system keep losing signal, no matter how good the sum of the car is.

Complaining about something of a game doesn't mean you hate it, or the game is horrible.

Anyway,
This is Arcania, panned for its visuals, but supposely the game is 6 years old, but you will need to convince me the foliage of Witcher is much better than this. Flat, 2D cardboard-ish

This is dragon age, a cross gen game. I put over 100 hours & I do not remeber once where the grass looks like cardboard sprites

(On a side note, notice how light react to the character giving the character volume in the DA:I image).

If CDPR can at least fixed the foliage, I think I will be happy enough on the visual front.
I havent played those games, so i cant draw any conclusion from your picture since i dont know anything about other graphical aspect of these games. One thing that can be said for certain is that the witcher 3 has quite a long lod distance and high grass density, which means they had no choice other than to reduce certain elements.

---------- Updated at 09:45 AM ----------

They can just have a UHD Texture/meshes for faces , foilage and buildings + Lighting Tweak Patch . Just call it UberUltraMode Setting and have a message that says this is meant for HIGH END Rigs , like what Ubersampling did for the Witcher 2.

---------- Updated at 08:07 AM ----------

I really don't know why everyone has a hardon for the foilage , seriously they nerfed the meshes/textures for the Main Characters , did lowered lighting effect and removed the soft particles . Those should be added in TOO. Watch the Sword of Destiny trailer .

And No , I think the game looks Ok , Its a very good game mechanically and storywise I love it. I just want it to look better and we all know it can.
even a single gtx 980 would presumebly struggle with the e3 2013 visual and only a very tiny miniority would be able to afford two gtx 980 or titan. Also you are forgetting that peoples are dicks, they would propably call it "unoptimized gargabe" if they wouldnt be able to max out those graphics with a single gtx 970, gtx 980 or gtx 780ti.

I havent played those games, so i cant draw any conclusion from your picture since i dont know anything about other graphical aspect of these games. One thing that can be said for certain is that the witcher 3 has quite a long lod distance and high grass density, which means they had no choice other than to reduce certain elements.

---------- Updated at 09:45 AM ----------

even a single gtx 980 would presumebly struggle with the e3 2013 visual and only a very tiny miniority would be able to afford two gtx 980 or titan. Also you are forgetting that peoples are dicks, they would propably call it "unoptimized gargabe" if they wouldnt be able to max out those graphics with a single gtx 970, gtx 980 or gtx 780ti.

A single 980 can't run Witcher 2 at 60FPS with Ubersampling at 1080P , your argument is void . A 2014 High-end Graphic's card can't run the Ultra Preset of a 2011 Game.

By the way I'm running the game at Ultra 4K on 980 SLI but if you game me the SOD Visuals , I'd gladly play the game at 1080P 30FPS.

Last edited:
Honestly the biggest problem with the graphics I found now are the very bad texture positioning on the ground and the streets in a lot of places. You can find a lot of streets in Novigrad that have the dirt texture actually hovering ankle high above the the street. It looks really horrible.

A single 980 can't run Witcher 2 at 60FPS with Ubersampling at 1080P , your argument is void . A 2014 High-end Graphic's card can't run the Ultra Preset of a 2011 Game.

By the way I'm running the game at Ultra 4K on 980 SLI but if you game me the SOD Visuals , I'd gladly play the game at 1080P 30FPS.
however, it still doesnt matter, because most companies aim to sell their games to the majority of gamers, which consist of console gamers as well as low mid range pc owners. CDPR even admitted they would not able to produce such a huge game as the witcher 3 without the money from console owners. Would you rather play a liniar and fancy looking game, that takes about 6 hours to complete. It is important to priotize as a company. and I take gameplay over fancy graphics anytime

however, it still doesnt matter, because most companies aim to sell their games to the majority of gamers, which consist of console gamers as well as low mid range pc owners. CDPR even admitted they would not able to produce such a huge game as the witcher 3 without the money from console owners. Would you rather play a liniar and fancy looking game, that takes about 6 hours to complete. It is important to priotize as a company. and I take gameplay over fancy graphics anytime

I bought the game on both PC and Console , I would love if they release a Sword of Destiny UHD Texture/mesh for faces/foilage/assets and Lighting tweak for PC.

Seriously people need to read what I posted back 1 page ago. I said the game looks fine. Its good. I LOVE IT. Doesn't mean I don't want it to look better.

Whats wrong with a game having patches/mods and tweaks to look better. Sword of Destiny trailer looks awesome , its the reason so many people like it.

The atmosphere can only enhance the game , not make it worse. If it takes a better GPU , just call it UberUltra Settings and do the 'Warning this is for HIGH END RIGS ONLY' Like what the Ubersampling did for Witcher 2 where only SLI Setups could run it.

No one was upset that they couldn't run Witcher 2's Ubersampling on a single GPU and reach 30FPS back in 2011.

EuroGamers interview with CD Projekt about graphics downgrade.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

One question and answer stuck out the most for me.

--------------------------------------------
Did the console versions restrict the PC version?

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

"Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."

If CD Projekt Red did not have enough money to make The Witcher 3 just for PC, they could have just asked us as loyal fans for honest help... If CD Projekt Red went on a site like KickStarter and explained their money problems and their goals for the game, us PC gamers would have WILLING given them MILLIONS just like we did with Star Citizen and other games.

If only they had asked us for help instead of lying to us and selling out to the Consoles.
I mean, can any of you honestly say that you would not donate to Cd Projekt Red if they were up front and honest to us about their money problems and goals for the game?

But oh well, at least they are attempting to amend their mistakes. I am not trying to attack CD Projekt Red, I am just saying how I honestly feel.

To show I am not some troll and an actual fan.
My Steam name is Master Zone I own both The Witcher 1 and 2 and have bought The witcher 3 on Steam as well as buying a physical collectors edition.
Despite the downgrade I still love the game. The Baron's quest line actually made me cry when I learnt the truth and when he named his daughter.

Ubersampling is basically DSR.. All it does is render the game at a higher resolution and scale down for presentation on monitor. It doesn't improve in game graphics, effects or models at all. It makes the image look a little bit nicer with less flickering/aliasing artifacts.

I don't want uber samping for Witcher 3. We need all the good stuff that was cut from the game put back in. AT LEAST to 35 minute trailer standards.
CDPR can do it and modern PCs CAN handle it. It's not even a question. The game ran fine before, while they explored the world with much better graphics than we have now, so it could run fine again.

Even if it takes a strong rig to run today, in a couple of years even mid budget rigs will be able to tear through it. Making the game look amazing today is future proofing it for tomorrow.

Love the game, but it's understandable that people are angry when you show them this and then you take it away.
They actually took out ALL Nvidia GameWork effects, the only Nvidia GameWorks we have is HairWorks, all the physX is done on the CPU.

---------- Updated at 10:52 AM ----------

Ubersampling is basically DSR.. All it does is render the game at a higher resolution and scale down for presentation on monitor. It doesn't improve in game graphics, effects or models at all. It makes the image look a little bit nicer with less flickering/aliasing artifacts.

I don't want uber samping for Witcher 3. We need all the good stuff that was cut from the game put back in. AT LEAST to 35 minute trailer standards.
CDPR can do it and modern PCs CAN handle it. It's not even a question. The game ran fine before, while they explored the world with much better graphics than we have now, so it could run fine again.

Even if it takes a strong rig to run today, in a couple of years even mid budget rigs will be able to tear through it. Making the game look amazing today is future proofing it for tomorrow.

You are right, in today's gaming age with DSR, Ubersampling is pointless. And from what I saw in The Witcher 2, Ubersampling actually made the image look worse and really blurry.

I don't care about all this downgrade talk at all. The game looks stunningly beautiful and has a unique and aweinspiring atmosphere. Though I got to say that a HD pack could do some good for it: especially when it comes to foilage and some other environmental textures. I still think that we will get a few graphical upgrades and new graphical options (eg. water reflections, more particle effects etc.) via patching. Also I'm hoping for a DX12 support implemented in a possible definitive or enhanced edition that would probably come out after the release of the expansion packs. As of now the game works really well and is great, but sure it needs tweaking and patching on all frons, be it graphical or story/side questing. CDPR is a company which is famous for its long time post release support when it comes to its games. Also we all know that the best testing and quality controll comes from post release player/fan feedback. I'm sure that they keep taking notes. This game is their magnum opus - debut to the AAA market. They will do anything to make its fans happy, and make the game as good as possible, within reason of course.

Last edited:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

One question and answer stuck out the most for me.

Did the console versions restrict the PC version?

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world.

"Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."

If CD Projekt Red did not have enough money to make The Witcher 3 just for PC, they could have just asked us as loyal fans for honest help... If CD Projekt Red went on a site like KickStarter and explained their money problems and their goals for the game, us PC gamers would have WILLING given them MILLIONS just like we did with Star Citizen and other games.

If only they had asked us for help instead of lying to us and selling out to the Consoles.
I mean, can any of you honestly say that you would not donate to Cd Projekt Red if they were up front and honest to us about their money problems and goals for the game?

But oh well, at least they are attempting to amend their mistakes. I am not trying to attack CD Projekt Red, I am just saying how I honestly feel.

To show I am not some troll and an actual fan.
My Steam name is Master Zone I own both The Witcher 1 and 2 and have bought The witcher 3 on Steam as well as buying a physical collectors edition.
Despite the downgrade I still love the game. The Baron's quest line actually made me cry when I learnt the truth and when he named his daughter.
why doesnt every company make their own kickstarter then? Do you really think it is so simple? Making a game available on multiplatform is a neccesary invesment to in sure a continues income. the more money they make, the more they can invest in their own games. I am not a console player nor do I personally dont like consoles that much, but restricting the game to a small portion of gamers is quite a dickmove.

Producing such large scale games as the witcher 3 isnt cheap.

---------- Updated at 11:01 AM ----------

I don't care about all this downgrade talk at all. The game looks stunningly beautiful and has a unique and aweinspiring atmosphere. Though I got to say that a HD pack could do some good for it: especially when it comes to foilage and some other environmental textures. I still think that we will get a few graphical upgrades and new graphical options (eg. water reflections, more particle effects etc.) via patching. Also I'm hoping for a DX12 support implemented in a possible definitive or enhanced edition that would probably come out after the release of the expansion packs. As of now the game works really well and is great, but sure it needs tweaking and patching on all frons, be it graphical or story/side questing. CDPR is a company which is famous for its long time post release support when it comes to its games. Also we all know that the best testing and quality controll comes from post release player/fan feedback. I'm sure that they keep taking notes. This game is their magnum opus - debut to the AAA market. They will do anything to make its fans happy, and make the game as good as possible, within reason of course.

+1 ,agreed

From what I have seen in the sales, this graphics downgrade has actually lost Cd Projekt Red A LOT of PC fans... On Steam The Witcher 3 only has 458,628 owners, which means only 458,628 people have bought The Witcher 3 on Steam (http://steamspy.com/app/292030). Even Shadow of Mordor and GTAV sold 1 million copies on Steam within the first day of release, yet The Witcher 3 did not even reach 500k sales on Steam. I'm also willing to bet even less own the game on GoG, meaning The Witcher 3 did not even sell over 1 million copies on PC. While if you look at The Witcher 2, it sold over 1,110,055 copies on PC within its release, and The Witcher 2 was an unknown game, unlike The Witcher 3.

They have lost almost half their PC fanbase. I just hope Cd Projekt Red does not end up like Crytek (a dying company) when they sharfted their existing PC fanbase for easy console money. Crytek is dead to PC gamers. I hope CDProjekt does not end the same way, but looking at the sales, it does look like they are.

Last edited:

I am going to sound like a broken tape recorder.

THINGS PEOPLE CAN AGREE ON.

The game Looks Fine.

The Game is awesome.

Its Probably one of the Best RPG ever made

It doesn't look like the Sword of Destiny Trailer.

A Patch that would make it look the the Sword of Destiny Trailer -Lighting Tweaks, Foilage , UHD Textures/Meshes for faces and walls/Environment WOULD BE AWESOME.

I don't care about the downgrade , whats done is done , the game is out . I just hope we get Mods/Patches , Something about the Sword of Destiny's Atmosphere is really amazing.

---------- Updated at 11:09 AM ----------

From what I have seen in the sales, this graphics downgrade has actually lost Cd Projekt Red A LOT of PC fans... On Steam The Witcher 3 only has 458,628 owners, which means only 458,628 people have bought The Witcher 3 on Steam (http://steamspy.com/app/292030). Even Shadow of Mordor and GTAV sold 1 million copies on Steam within the first day of release, yet The Witcher 3 did not even reach 500k sales on Steam. I'm also willing to bet even less own the game on GoG, meaning The Witcher 3 did not even sell over 1 million copies on PC. While if you look at The Witcher 2, it sold over 1,110,055 copies on PC within its release, and The Witcher 2 was an unknown game, unlike The Witcher 3.

They have lost almost half their PC fanbase. I just hope Cd Projekt Red does not end up like Crytek (a dying company) when they sharfted their existing PC fanbase for easy console money. Crytek is dead to PC gamers. I hope CDProjekt does not end the same way, but looking at the sales, it does look like they are.

All they need to do is release Lighting Tweaks/UHD Texture/Meshes. And We have 'Close' To Sword of Destiny . Or Hurry up with Redkit 2 and let Modders do it.

I bought the game for PC and PS4 , GOG version and CE Version.

No one is saying the game looks bad except the trolls. I think its weird because , Its not that the game looks horrible its people feel the game could look better.

I have the PC GoG version , a pretty good PC and the PS4 Collector's Edition.

I LOVE The game , at the same time there is a certain wish that someone could bring back the certain visual flair that the Sword of Destiny trailer has.

no one is saying that the game looks bad.... just not as good as the SOD/35min trailers

personally i prefer oprimization over graphics

They have the console gamers now ( where the money is ) and the majority of pc gamers who are actual Witcher fans so they'll live, provided they keep making quality stories and worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom