gwent balancing: very very bad

+
i simply have no special cards..

have won like 30 amtch and i have 1 hero card...is even possible?

merchant drop card only the first time you beat them or every time?

You get most hero cards from certain people. Just playing some inn keeper somewhere again and again won't yield you hero cards.

Thanks for the info.
I think i'm gonna pass then -.- I'll never be able to defeat that m******f******* innkeeper. XD

Lol yeah he is tough but I won after a while. Need a lot of fog. It's unfortunate you don't posses the good cards I feel you need to have an easier time. Besting Hadko for Roche is a fairly good sign you could probably beat most other. Decoys, horns and scorch are all purchasable. Also maybe you posses the needed cards for a different faction?

In the end though if your not interested in it at this point I doubt you will be. Maybe a second play through?

No no, i'm interested as hell in playing gwent and find the cards...the problem is, i'm not able to win any match XD (except for the random merchant i mean).

I'm trying to build different factions deck but i still doesn't have enough cards to play with it.

I'd advise to get a Nilfgaard deck together ASAP as you start out. Most hero cards you get in the beginning will be Nilfgaardian. Menno Coehoorn for example is an improved Yennifer yet available very early in game.

However, you'll have to defeat Stepjan first, Menno is awarded for playing an innkeeper after defeating Stepjan..

Edit: Nilfgaard also has two purchasable Black Archers, 10 strength cards. In addition to that I believe the two 10 siege engines are also purchasable. Great deck to start off with anyway.

Last edited:
Getting started is hard, I lost the first 40 matches or so. Following the Gwent quests gives you the rare cards, you'll start winning more and get even more cards. Every innkeep/merchant laughed at me at first, yesterday I won the high stakes tournament in Novigrad.

Just need to be lucky the first few times to grab some of those hero cards.

If you are indeed interested in playing gwent and not really just to collect them seeing as you missed a few already. I would highly recommend looking at a guide quickly. You seem to understand what needs to be done so it's quite possible your just getting bad draws. It happens to everyone you could be the 1% that's getting it consistently. I wrote a guide awhile back as I mentioned and while not very in depth or large has I'm sure some useful information. It's buried somewhere now though lol.

Saying all that. I do think it was good advice above about maybe starting a Nilfgaard deck. However while it's able to get some strong cards and heroes early. You'll have gaps for awhile and the worst spy in the game lol.

Sticking with your current deck I would add Scorch for sure and definitely make sure you have those commander horns etc. Look into grabbing a new leader too. The best is grabbed by playing the Noble in Vizima so maybe you missed that but your current leader ability of playing fog is only very good against Scoia'tel (sp?), useless against monsters and situational against Nilfgaard.

I believe there's one leader that clears weather which obviously is very good. Dont quote me on this though. I've only used the one from the Noblemen because it's really overpowered.

Why not use some environment cards and decoy cards?

Remember in the first round your main objective is to force the Ai to use all his card so it is ok to lose in the 1st round. Sadly this tactic doesn't work w/ a deck w/ a spy hero card due it could gather more cards in single round so it will base on your luck if you got some hero card. Also always put your crappy card 1st you never know Ai will use its scorched.

Basically the game is somewhat have similar mechanics of playing poker. Compare to poker dice in previous game, i cannot trick the Ai.

Last edited:
Nilfgaardian spy cards are a little worse than the Northern realm spy cards, aye. In general I'd say Northern realms is better than Nilfgaard because their passive ability is fantastic (chance to draw extra card). Both have 3 spy cards available in total, though, not just one. Vattier for example is pretty decent as far as spies go;

Attachments

• Tcum6X1.jpg
    Tcum6X1.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 76
Nilfgaardian spy cards are a little worse than the Northern realm spy cards, aye. In general I'd say Northern realms is better than Nilfgaard because their passive ability is fantastic (chance to draw extra card). Both have 3 spy cards available in total, though, not just one. Vattier for example is pretty decent as far as spies go;

Yeah that Northern Realm passive can actually win you games if your lucky. Nothing like playing your last card to win round 2 and then drawing a hero to win the third.

I actually can't remember all the spy cards. Is the three in NR deck the two and then the third is the 0 attack hero?

I do not yet have all the cards are there spy cards for the other decks? Besides the aforementioned hero spy? Which I never even see in monster decks. They don't really need it with all that muster though.

3 spy cards for the NR deck, 3 spy cards for the Nilfgaardian deck.
Monsters and Scoia'tael don't have any spies afaik.

The hero spy is neutral I think, so I'm not counting that one.

Edit: Monsters don't draw the hero spy very often because their deck is usually pretty sizeable, lol. If they have a small deck Muster doesn't work well :p

Last edited:
A couple of strategies seem to work every time. Play with 3 rounds in mind. Let your opponent waste cards and use the weather.

Gwent has been super easy so far. Only one lost early on.

My strategy, kind fail-proof.

Get frost vs monster decks (counter-melee)
Get fog vs scoia-tel (counter-range)
Get rain vs northern (counter-artillery)

Having a spare frost is always beneficial.
Redraw weather cards not to your benefit vs said enemy.
Redraw "grunt/basic" units for medics, special cards, horn, decoy.

Get as many draw cards and decoy cards that you can get in your hand.
Play all draw cards first round to increase your deck.
If they play draw cards - decoy them and use them to draw even more.

First round - don't commit too many units. Let them waste cards. Good combo is to freeze your own draw cards given to opponent.
Medic is a fantastic choice for decoy - use medic the 2nd round to redraw a previous unit, then decoy your medic and get another one out!

Also - keep your deck size to the minimum available, you dont want to draw peasants and crap.

IMO for leader - siege master foltest is supreme.

I often get 14+ cards on my 2nd round using this tactic. By decoying your enemy's draw cards placed on your border.

BEST CARDS:

Decoy
Draw cards
Medic

Surprisingly, I didn't lose an encounter more than once after 36 hours of gameplay, and many of them spent on gwent.
My friend, I think the problem doesn't come from gwent balancing ;)

I you get to beat the guy at wizima castle's courtyard? (after the audience with Emir)
He kicked my ass a couple of times and I decided to get back later with better cards?

I you get to beat the guy at wizima castle's courtyard? (after the audience with Emir)
He kicked my ass a couple of times and I decided to get back later with better cards?

I beat him on a fourth try or so, with a basic deck at this point plus a few cards I may have bought/won by then. He is a tough customer for that point in time, but it's definitely doable with a bit (a lot?) of luck. I find Gwent to be slightly unbalanced in Geralt's favor. By now I have quite a few hero cards, lose maybe once in a ten games? I don't even have any of the 15 value cards. Maybe in Skellige players get tougher.

Oh Well, i guess i'm a freaking noob here then.
Cause i find Gwenth everything except "super easy" XD

They just said they added a few new cards to buy inside the prologue area (with the new 1.04 patch)...i'm gonna hope on those ones since i basically missed all the prologue cards available the first time around due to the overpowered decks of the rivals and my lack of will on staying there 20+ hours just waiting to be a bit lucky with draw.

I pretty much use the same tactic as Ouroboros612. Same leader, same cards, same methods, works like a charm and so far only found one guy that I have not been able to beat will go back to him when I have a bit stronger cards.

Oh Well, i guess i'm a freaking noob here then.
Cause i find Gwenth everything except "super easy" XD

They just said they added a few new cards to buy inside the prologue area (with the new 1.04 patch)...i'm gonna hope on those ones since i basically missed all the prologue cards available the first time around due to the overpowered decks of the rivals and my lack of will on staying there 20+ hours just waiting to be a bit lucky with draw.

Yes, those are the cards. Very strong cards aswell, all with tight bond.

Top Bottom