Crash To Desktop No error messages (FX 8350, GTX 970)

+
Black screen
CTD

i5/970

:\ halp. I am loving it when I am able to play it. But it seems like after 30 or so minutes, immediate demolish.

Black screenCTDi5/970:\ halp. I am loving it when I am able to play it. But it seems like after 30 or so minutes, immediate demolish.
Roll back your driver to 350.12 (GTA V driver). Fixed my crashing problems. Go to your device manager (windows + R, type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter). Under display adapters right click your adapter and choose properties. Under driver tab select roll back driver.

Roll back your driver to 350.12 (GTA V driver). Fixed my crashing problems. Go to your device manager (windows + R, type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter). Under display adapters right click your adapter and choose properties. Under driver tab select roll back driver.
I am trying this now... dear God please let this work! Have tried to get past the crash 20+ times now (insta-crash after New Game video ends).

---------- Updated at 10:03 AM ----------

Sadly this didn't work. Game still insta-crashes to desktop in Windows 7 x64 after new game movie ends using 350.12 drivers on my 650Ti card and the 1.03 version of the game. Argh!

Argh... I went and bought a GTX 970 *and* a 650w Power Supply (to replace my 400w one) ... but am still getting instant-crash soon as game starts (after cut-scene). Have tried all the fixes stated/claimed so far:
- Borderless Fullscreen / Fullscreen
- Hairworks on/off
- NVidia latest and rolling back to previous version
- 3D settings to full performance
- Exiting Fraps
- Sacrificing a lamb ...

Ok I haven't done the last one yet but am about to ... srsly!! I want to play already!

Argh... I went and bought a GTX 970 *and* a 650w Power Supply (to replace my 400w one) ... but am still getting instant-crash soon as game starts (after cut-scene). Have tried all the fixes stated/claimed so far:
- Borderless Fullscreen / Fullscreen
- Hairworks on/off
- NVidia latest and rolling back to previous version
- 3D settings to full performance
- Exiting Fraps
- Sacrificing a lamb ...

Ok I haven't done the last one yet but am about to ... srsly!! I want to play already!

None of those things serve to fix what needs the devs and also NVIDIA to fix their work. They are band-aids that serve some few players and don't serve others. NVIDIA forums are filled with crash reports on any of the latest drivers back to 347. I have a GTX980 SC powered by a 1,100w PSU on 4 rails, which works beautifully every other way except in W3. I've taken to logging my gaming sessions with PrecisionX stats and Open Hardware, and even at full blast/ultra everything in W3, my GPU's temp is a cool 41 degrees, my CPU hit 40 degrees max the entire time. Just as the game crashes, my monitors show a sudden surge and crash. Not temp related, not power needs, nada.

I've tried all three driver versions. I've turned off practically everything task-running on my PC, and its just not the thing that's wrong - W3 devs and NVIDIA need to work out their problems, and nothing I do will fix it.

My experience is almost always complete PC lock-up, and 99% of the time its right as the Loading circle is done ready to drop me into the scene. Boom! Lock-up solid. Had some problems prior to 1.03, but that patch definitely up'd the problems.

Last edited:
Hey guys, i also have GTX 970 and my game crashes randomly after about 30-45 minutes of playing. Please, could You post here Your crash report files? It is located in the same folder where game .exe is. And it is a plain text file. In my case there is "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error reading location 0x3edc97e0". It really bothers me.

Hey guys, i also have GTX 970 and my game crashes randomly after about 30-45 minutes of playing. Please, could You post here Your crash report files? It is located in the same folder where game .exe is. And it is a plain text file. In my case there is "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error reading location 0x3edc97e0". It really bothers me.

I got loads of those exception files, though sometimes the Error reading location is different.

So it crashes randomly during the gameplay for you too? It is weird. I get very similiar errors in Rust too. But not in other games.

I have Sli gtx 460s and I am now getting sudden crashes. I've gotten the game to work for many hours yesterday but now it's just 5 mins of play and back to desktop.

Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error reading location 0x00000000

This has happened 4 times tonight, the game just crashes to desktop with no error. i5 3570k / GTX 970.

My experience is almost always complete PC lock-up, and 99% of the time its right as the Loading circle is done ready to drop me into the scene. Boom! Lock-up solid. Had some problems prior to 1.03, but that patch definitely up'd the problems.
Yep... that is my exactly! 100% of time.

Yea a friend of mine had been playing for hours no crashes at all. He has the same rig as me. But with new patch he cant travel cuz the game will crash:/ He tried everything i did aswell, sadly with no luck. I hope this gets fixed soon.

I have the same problem. It was crashing a lot for me before I changed the nvidia control panel setting for the witcher exe file to Maximum Performance. Since making that change it hadn't crashed until last night (about 40 hours worth of game play without a crash). Last night, when it happened, the sounds was working, but the screen was black. I have 2 monitors set up. I couldn't alt tab or click anywhere on the second monitor (even though I could see the desktop and the mouse moving). Using the gamepad, I was able to navigate menus because I could hear the menu items changing when I pressed the up/down buttons on the pad. So the game was running, but there was no video.
I ended up having to do a hard reset on the computer. It's pretty bad when the crash in a game makes you completely restart your machine...

Top Bottom