Witcher vets - is this the norm?

+
Witcher vets - is this the norm?

First off, let me say this is my first Witcher game I am really enjoying it. I love the open world, the vastness of it and the variety of enemies and side quests available. I do have one question:

Is it normal to have your armor and weapons degrade so quickly? I go through maybe 3-4 encounters and am having to repair quite often. I know I should keep distance and have a better defense, to not getting hit but my weapons are really in need of repair after just 2 or 3 enemy encounters. Right now, I am close to level 10 and am just exploring and doing side quests before continuing the main.

I try to keep a stockpile of repair kits on me at all times.

Thoughts or suggestions?

What do u mean they degrade after 2-3 encounters ? from 100% to 0% ?
I only go to repair once they are at 50% or less, and by that time i usually find or craft better armor/weapon.

You do need to dodge more and not let people hit u as u said, although with swords it can be a bit of a problem but still I agree armor/weapons degrade somewhat fast ....

A mod.

It's not the norm.

I don't like it and I'm not alone.

It's not really a money-sink issue, it's more a quality of life issue - it's just another thing to check on. That said, I'm upgrading gear fast enough I think I've repaired maybe ten times. Ten annoying times.

Mod it out. Might be one at the Nexus now.

First off, let me say this is my first Witcher game I am really enjoying it. I love the open world, the vastness of it and the variety of enemies and side quests available. I do have one question:

Is it normal to have your armor and weapons degrade so quickly? I go through maybe 3-4 encounters and am having to repair quite often. I know I should keep distance and have a better defense, to not getting hit but my weapons are really in need of repair after just 2 or 3 enemy encounters. Right now, I am close to level 10 and am just exploring and doing side quests before continuing the main.

I try to keep a stockpile of repair kits on me at all times.

Thoughts or suggestions?

It's new to this game and no one knew about it till a few weeks before launch. No idea when they added it.

A mod.

It's not the norm.

I don't like it and I'm not alone.

It's not really a money-sink issue, it's more a quality of life issue - it's just another thing to check on. That said, I'm upgrading gear fast enough I think I've repaired maybe ten times. Ten annoying times.

Mod it out. Might be one at the Nexus now.

yeah, I wish they would just eliminate the equipment degradation system. It's an unnecessary annoyance and not even particularly realistic.

In early game that degradation is really bad thing that devours your money, making questing money-inneficient (gladly there are a lot of rare and relic swords lying around to replace), but later it's just annoyance.
Keep two spare swords just in case. And abuse Quen to protect amor.

Weapon degradation is new in The Witcher, TW1 and TW2 didn't have it.

It is definitely "normal" and not a bug if that is what you are asking. But I agree they degrade a little bit quick. One way to avoid them degrading is dodging and rolling rather than parrying, that can help. Other than that like people said don't repair them before 50% and go to a smith to do so rather than using a weapon repair kid if it is possible. I agree it is a LITTLE bit too fast, and it is indeed more a "quality of life issue" as in that you spend too much time having to repair rather than do more enjoyable things.

I do think it was definitely on purpose to lean you more towards an "evasion" playstyle because that is more what Witchers do but I do still think it is a little too quick to degrade.

Wouldn't be bad if a future patch or a mod could reduce the degradation a little bit so we only have to repair half as often.

In early game that degradation is really bad thing that devours your money, making questing money-inneficient (gladly there are a lot of rare and relic swords lying around to replace), but later it's just annoyance.
Keep two spare swords just in case. And abuse Quen to protect amor.

It seems it goes down to 50 percent or less. I can handle it, but when the repair kits run out, I have to go back and grab more and then, only 1 for sale, since I would purchase all they have when first meeting armorsmiths and Blacksmiths.

It seems most, if not all of my money goes toward repairs. I know it's not a bug but it shouldn't degrade THAT quickly. I'm just getting into the fun of combat and bam...I need to repair. I don't let my weapons/armor get below 40%, I can tell the difference in combat. AND, with most encounters being a few levels above, I want to go in with 100%.

Just really annoying is all.

---------- Updated at 06:42 PM ----------

It seems it goes down to 50 percent or less. I can handle it, but when the repair kits run out, I have to go back and grab more and then, only 1 for sale, since I would purchase all they have when first meeting armorsmiths and Blacksmiths.

It seems most, if not all of my money goes toward repairs. I know it's not a bug but it shouldn't degrade THAT quickly. I'm just getting into the fun of combat and bam...I need to repair. I don't let my weapons/armor get below 40%, I can tell the difference in combat. AND, with most encounters being a few levels above, I want to go in with 100%.

BTW: I am playing on PS4 don't hate me

Last edited:
And to confirm, a second set of repaired weapons is essential.
If you are having a tough fight with weapons failing and no easy escape,
those backup weapons will save your backside.

I agree, the rate of item degradation is too high. For the prices we have to pay to maintain our gear, the degradation speed needs to be cut in half, me thinks (if not more. I'm fine with repairs, even if they are annoying, but it's not ok having to repair so much that you go through money like water). I mean, there's even a skill tree that encourages fighting in a way that speeds up sword degradation for goodness sake.

Last edited:
im not happy with the degrading system like it is now but i can live with it.. and from the realistic point of view ...try to hammer your sword on a log or a tree a few times and see what happens ;) ... and now think what happens to a real silver sword

Well some people personally like these mechanics in RPGs. Myself included. That being said there may be some other factors at play that we simply don't know about yet.

Such as hitting a blocking enemy, shield and plate mail. Also realisticly silver is a soft metal and it could be argued that fast degradation would make sense. I realize realistic things don't need to be included in a game but still.

In the end by the time you have your preferred gear setup you should have more then enough money to repair freely. I understand that having to do this is annoying to some.

Mods will most definitely arrive to fix this on PC. Unfortunately for people like me who are on consoles will never get those. Perhaps a patch from CDPR will tone it down.

agree, degrade way to fast, repairing cost to much.

for open world game, this really sux for me who like roaming & fight everything.

they should make it more longer or remove it.

I usually carry some repair kits with me (seem to find em everywhere), i only use those when on extended trips.

I tend to come trough towns often enough, always quickly checking the blacksmiths for materials, diagrams etc.

My advice/suggestion to CDPR would be: Make it easier to craft repair kits, or atleast make the mats cheaper. if you buy the mats for a repair kit, you're better of just repairing at the vendor because its cheaper to fix ALL gear compared to making one decent quality kit.

---------- Updated at 06:42 PM ----------

BTW: I am playing on PS4 don't hate me

I could be wrong here and I could be completely misinterpreting what you're saying, but based on what you said it sounds like you're using repair kits as the only means of repairing and also that you might mistakenly be thinking that using 1 repair kit puts the item back to 100%.

The repair kits you come across early in the game only repair 15% (I just started coming across ones that do 40%) so if your weapon is getting down to 40% then you use a repair kit to get it back up to 55% then that would explain why it seems as though it doesn't take very long to degrade. your best bet is to use the armor/blacksmiths to repair all your gear and only use repair kits when you're nearing the end of a dungeon or quest and an item or two goes into the red and instead of leaving to go get repaired and then come all the way back you just use a repair kit to get you over the finish line. If all of that is completely wrong then you can safely ignore everything I just said :)

Yes the degrading of gear does happen a little quick but certainly not so quick that it only takes two or three fights.

strange, degradation rate seems fine for me

lasts easily thru a dozen of encounters and an evening-long fight

Not sure how you guys are playing. Im level 19 still not in Skellige, that means yes i've done a TON of sidequests and exploring and witcher contracts. My equipment has only been damaged so bad I HAD to repair it maybe twice. Whenever you go into town you should always meditate if you havent already, stock up on food, maybe craft new gear and repair your stuff. Its not that hard. If you really mean it takes 2-3 fights for your stuff to be unusable I really have no idea

Top Bottom