Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coincidence? ;)

And do you know what is best in life?
Crush the reviewers, see the players driven to the game and contaminate Hairy Bear with the Witcher. :)
I like how you use the word "contaminate" in the same context as your beloved game. lol :p

Last edited:
Jeeeeeeeeeeez. More than 30 hours. I don't think that I had shorter session than 3 hours. Firstly I was felt strange feeling, you know, we waited so much for this game and it was weird to play it. After I started to learning the whole game it become so fucking big love that I cannot even describe. Downgrade? I don't care. Bugs? Who cares? This game is no lesser than a MASTERPIECE for me.
When I first reached Novigrad I thought that it is bigger, later on I got lost in that city for hours. I even walked and watched the buildings and the towns people, and I never did before this in any game. I just hope that we will get more expansions, because I don't want to end this.
I don't like to listen the OST by itself, because I can't resist to click on the Play button after that. Speaking of which the OST is incredible. I just finished watching the sunset in Oxenfurt ... Bahh it was so damn stunning.
Sorry for the randomness, though.

Yeah lots of game talk for the hairy bear.

Thanks GuyN'wah for the news. Most current game theory still relies on Nash equilibrium as a reference of rational play in games of perfect information. In reality though there are rational choices that are not Nash equilibria, for instance theorems derived from the game state. Regardless his work is immense. He also co invented with Piet Hein the game Hex.

Last edited:
Jeeeeeeeeeeez. More than 30 hours. I don't think that I had shorter session than 3 hours. Firstly I was felt strange feeling, you know, we waited so much for this game and it was weird to play it. After I started to learning the whole game it become so fucking big love that I cannot even describe. Downgrade? I don't care. Bugs? Who cares? This game is no lesser than a MASTERPIECE for me.
When I first reached Novigrad I thought that it is bigger, later on I got lost in that city for hours. I even walked and watched the buildings and the towns people, and I never did before this in any game. I just hope that we will get more expansions, because I don't want to end this.
I don't like to listen the OST by itself, because I can't resist to click on the Play button after that. Speaking of which the OST is incredible. I just finished watching the sunset in Oxenfurt ... Bahh it was so damn stunning.
Sorry for the randomness, though.

When I first walked into Oxenfurt, the sun was rising...Damn that was a beautiful sight...

Pam pa ram

Pam

Pam pa ram

I have a question for the technical guys at the Hairy Bear.

I want to upgrade my CPU in the near future. I'm currently running an Intel i7-3770K overlocked to 4,5Ghz. It's a good CPU but also the bottleneck in my rig right now, at least, I think. Thing is, the motherboard in my rig right now is pretty much the oldest part and I'm not sure how long it will take the latest hardware until I have the upgrade the motherboard itself. Maybe I already should upgrade it, I don't know. Could anyone tell me?

This is my motherboard:

Last edited:
@luc0s

there's a dedicated hardware thread, expect this to be moved... maybe. But since you ask, normally people replace CPU and motherboard at the same time, since (specially so with Intel) chipsets have a limited shelf life.

Your CPU might not be new anymore but it's a frigging 4-core, 8-thread CPU. It can max out games like TW3 and pretty much any video card out there right now. We previously commented on so called "CPU bottlenecks" and how often they are not what people think they are. You 3770K will not bottleneck anything. Bottlenecking means mantaining the same output (performance) with more resources, for instance going from a GTX 570 to a 970 with the same framerate. More modern CPU's may yield slightly better overall performance, but at the moment it wouldn't be worth it. If you want to upgrade within a year or so, wait for Skylake or whatever comes next.

Last edited:
there's a dedicated hardware thread, expect this to be moved... maybe. But since you ask, normally people replace CPU and motherboard at the same time, since (specially so with Intel) chipsets have a limited shelf life.

Your CPU might not be new anymore but it's a frigging 4-core, 8-thread CPU. It can max out games like TW3 and pretty much any video card out there right now. We previously commented on so called "CPU bottlenecks" and how often they are not what people think they are. You 3770K will not bottleneck anything. Bottlenecking means mantaining the same output (performance) with more resources, for instance going from a GTX 570 to a 970 with the same framerate. More modern CPU's may yield slightly better overall performance, but at the moment it wouldn't be worth it. If you want to upgrade within a year or so, wait for Skylake or whatever comes next.

Good point. That said I use my rig for more than just gaming. I study game art & design and I work with stuff like Unreal 4, Zbrush and Maya. So far I haven't noticed any real issues, though testing stuff in Unreal 4 can sometimes be taxing unless I make a build of the project and run that. Zbrush can sometimes push my rig to it's limits too when I work on high-detail sculpts.

I do notice my CPU bottlenecking with Guild Wars 2 though. I'm not sure if it's the game that's poorly optimized or indeed the CPU, but whenever I'm in huge group fights my FPS drops like mad. I used to run Guild Wars 2 with a GTX 660 Ti, I upgraded to a GTX 970 4GB a few months ago and didn't notice any performance upgrade in Guild Wars 2, I still get the same low framerates during the group fights. Edit: The Witcher 3 runs perfectly though, all I had to go was turn off Hairworks to get 60FPS most of time time, the rest on Ultra.

If you're curious, here is my entire rig:

(I don't know why it says that my CPU runs at 3,5Ghz and my RAM at 666Mhz, it's supposed to be 4,5Ghz and 1333Mhz.)

Anyway, where can I find the hardware thread?

Last edited:
I don't know if any of you guys check Reddit, but I do wholeheartedly recommend checking out the Witcher subreddit. It has grown sooo much since last year - when I first visited it had around 4k members. Now, it's 41k and still growing. Very friendly community too.

I don't know if any of you guys check Reddit, but I do wholeheartedly recommend checking out the Witcher subreddit. It has grown sooo much since last year - when I first visited it had around 4k members. Now, it's 41k and still growing. Very friendly community too.

Strange indeed to see this cult franchise just explode in the space of a few weeks. I can't imagine what the guys in the studio must feel right now.

I was one of those people joining the subreddit a few weeks ago. Left now again after I have read a few small spoilers, even in the /hot section. Don't wanna get spoiled in any case.

I can't help but feel a post epilogue DLC is needed for a bit more closure. It's probably the last time we see these characters we adore and a great peace of art with a voiceover doesn't cut it for me personally.
Only gripe with the game is that it doesn't have the option to delete my memory and let me play it for the first time again. M.A.S.T.E.R.P.I.E.C.E!

Who has time to socialize when there's TW3 to be played.

I feel like an addict for playing 13 hours over the weekend. And someone already finished? Take it a bit easier, this is a fine Toussant wine and not some cheap pepper vodka.

I played almost 30 hours this weekend. I don't think I'm very far at all, though. As much as I like to binge (helps immersion, I say!) I take my sweet time, I like to explore everything - to a degree that's almost silly. Also a bit weary at first as I have a knack for running into places with people/monsters that are way too high level for me at that point in time. Such a beautiful game, and I mean much more than just graphics... You can tell a lot of passionate work was put into this game. I wish I could take a week's vacation and veg out. Probably better for my health that I get up and go to work tomorrow... *cough*cough*

We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom