If my weapon is drawn, allow me to parry and dodge

+
If my weapon is drawn, allow me to parry and dodge

I find this to be a huge problem. There's many enemies that attack from range. Instead of being able to parry incoming arrows or dodge massive tree explosions, Geralt uses his Witcher sense or jumps, usually resulting in taking damage.

Either make the combat state at least as large as the aggro range or make having your weapon drawn disable Witcher sense and use parry instead.

My 2 cents but valid concerns.

Totally agree - i have copped it so many times from stupid archers thinking i can parry his arrow - just to turn into witcher sense mode
please
please fix this

Yes --please make this fix. I was fighting a Leshin and it was able to attack me before I was close enough to doge (and that thing hits like a truck!)

On the flip side though, if they make too large you won't be able to loot without killing everything in the area (since you can't loot in combat.) So please make it so drawing your sword enters combat mode and sheathing it turn combat off.

Thanks.

Yes --please make this fix. I was fighting a Leshin and it was able to attack me before I was close enough to doge (and that thing hits like a truck!)

On the flip side though, if they make too large you won't be able to loot without killing everything in the area (since you can't loot in combat.) So please make it so drawing your sword enters combat mode and sheathing it turn combat off.

Thanks.

+1

please.

Problem is:

What if..
(and this is something I do often).. what if I want to draw my weapon and use my Witcher Senses.
If they made changes to it, I would no longer be able to use my Witcher Senses when weapon drawn and that would suck.

Now why would I draw my weapon when not in combat and use Witcher Senses?
Because, sometimes I like to be prepared, you never know if a ghost will appear as you explore the graveyard or somewhere else.

Problem is:

What if..
(and this is something I do often).. what if I want to draw my weapon and use my Witcher Senses.
If they made changes to it, I would no longer be able to use my Witcher Senses when weapon drawn and that would suck.

Now why would I draw my weapon when not in combat and use Witcher Senses?
Because, sometimes I like to be prepared, you never know if a ghost will appear as you explore the graveyard or somewhere else.

If I had to choose, I'd rather break witcher senses with a sword out. It's far less annoying and potentially game-breaking than being riddled with arrows from range while wholly unable to parry or even dodge out of the way. On harder difficulties, you can get killed by archers before you get close enough for combat mode to kick on. It also makes certain talents like Arrow Deflection almost completely useless, since you have to get so close to archers to actually parry that you could just roll up to them and kill them in a couple swings anyway.

Couldn't you just rebind Witcher Senses to a different key, anyway?

Last edited:
I don't agree.

I have no problem with range and parry, dodge or anything.
You can still roll and this is what's best to do, to get closer.

Not sure why you would want to stay far away.
And you can move far away after you engaged and parry.

It's just much more important to be able to use Witcher Senses with sword drawn when not in combat.
Or else it would be quite annoying to move around in the woods to look for enemies with your sword drawn, only to parry.. when there is no one there.

It's also a big plus from a RP perspective to be able to have sword drawn and still be able to use Witcher Senses to detect enemies from far.

I don't agree.

It's just much more important to be able to use Witcher Senses with sword drawn when not in combat.
Or else it would be quite annoying to move around in the woods to look for enemies with your sword drawn, only to parry.. when there is no one there.

It's also a big plus from a RP perspective to be able to have sword drawn and still be able to use Witcher Senses to detect enemies from far.

Imho, the witcher sense shouldn't have the same key binding as block/parry. I do agree that Geralt should be able to block/parry and dodge when sword/fists drawn, it's logical to say the least

But you're wrong. You can't roll to close the gap until the game prompts combat. You can be shot by arrows, and still not be considered in combat.

Once combat starts, this fails to be an issue, it's all about the approach.

It really just makes me sigh when I see a group of bandits. I need to rush in to trigger combat, so I am able to dodge and parry the arrows that have probably already hit me and are already incoming.

It's a fairly easy fix, just let combat trigger sooner. Whatever an archers aggro range is, should be the combat trigger.

I don't agree.

You're missing the point by a loooooooong shot. He isn't complaining that he wants to fight from far away. He is complaining that some enemies have such a long range they can attack you before you're close enough to activate combat mode so you can dodge out of the away. This is particularily annoying when you're fighting enemies over your level, like that Leshen I killed with his long range root attack :p

This might require some fiddling but you can actually set different keys for Witcher Senses and Block/Parry by editing the input.settings located at /Users/[Username]/Documents/The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. Was one of the first things that I did, together with putting WASD on different keys.

Yeah, I'm tired of getting shot by archers and can do nothing about it because I'm unable to roll. Sometimes I still try and just end up jumping like an idiot and getting hit anyway.

+101

Oh, and... disable auto-sheathe, proszę! :)

Hope I wrote it correctly!

@OliverPrince

An easier solution - to triggering the combat sooner - is to "trigger the combat" once Geralt unsheathes his weapon. Would make more sense. So you can parry and dodge any time you choose! There is no point in walking around with the sword unsheathed anyway, unless you actually want to hit/fight someone or something.

I really don't understand why CDRP took these simple, small but important freedoms/choices away from us. No idea why they don't let us choose when or what to do with our character. It's just an immersion breaker, nothing else.

Last edited:
You're missing the point by a loooooooong shot. He isn't complaining that he wants to fight from far away. He is complaining that some enemies have such a long range they can attack you before you're close enough to activate combat mode so you can dodge out of the away. This is particularily annoying when you're fighting enemies over your level, like that Leshen I killed with his long range root attack :p
Then he should roll closer to the enemy. It's a very easy thing to do.

For people like me who role play.. we want to be able to have our sword drawn and use our Witcher Senses, it's more important than you or anyone else be able to block from far away when you can simply roll.

If you remove Witcher Senses from being out of combat with sword drawn, there is no way around that. There isn't any "you can just roll to the target".

No fairness in what you ask.

Actually , you can't roll in non combat mode. You just jump. I would be happy to see what the OP asks. Especially if one could just then reconfigure the Witcher sense to another place. Then you could do both.

Then he should roll closer to the enemy. It's a very easy thing to do.

For people like me who role play.. we want to be able to have our sword drawn and use our Witcher Senses, it's more important than you or anyone else be able to block from far away when you can simply roll.

If you remove Witcher Senses from being out of combat with sword drawn, there is no way around that. There isn't any "you can just roll to the target".

No fairness in what you ask.

How are you still not getting this after being repeated like 3 times?

You CAN'T ROLL when you are not in combat mode. It's not just parry or dodge or roll, it's all of them. You can't do any of the above when not in combat mode and it gets you killed because enemies are attacking you from out of the range before combat mode is engaged.

When you are using witcher sense it's for loot or clues, and you shouldn't really be doing that during combat. If you really are keen on keeping that feature, it's not at all mutually exclusive to our suggestions, as CDPR can always have witcher sense bound to a separate key.

Last edited:
Actually , you can't roll in non combat mode. You just jump. I would be happy to see what the OP asks. Especially if one could just then reconfigure the Witcher sense to another place. Then you could do both.
Yes because that works great for those people playing with an Xbox One Controller on PC, like myself.
Not.

You are asking for a game change, that effects everyone. Not just people playing on keyboards so, no no no.

Yes because that works great for those people playing with an Xbox One Controller on PC, like myself.

It's not like controllers only have 1 key. It can always share a key with something else instead of parry or dodge or roll. It's already sharing a key with something right now anyways.

Top Bottom