Controller responsiveness

+
Controller responsiveness

Does it take Geralt five hours to turn around only to lurch drunkenly in the direction he was facing! And why does it take Roach three days to start walking?

Would you like to explain this a little more, because right now, it's difficult to know what you're talking about.

what he means, the controls aren't instant like in TW2, but there's an animation for Geralt turning around instead of just being turned around as soon as you press the key, and the horse sometimes just stands there like he doesn't care that you're pressing forward on your keyboard

also, playing with a controller at least, trying to loot things is a hassle, since being too close to the box or geralt looking slightly away means you don't get to open the box/crate etc. I'd rather have the action of opening crates and such be based on a radius around geralt and the direction of the camera instead of the direction which geralt is facing, since making him face a specific item especially in a small area is a damn hassle.

all this in part because of this:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...vity-controls-on-the-ps4-please-!!!?p=1702987

Last edited:
Lazy design I guess. The controls and movement in this game are some of the worst I've ever had to suffer in a game. In my 24 years of gaming I've only ever played one game with controls as bad as this and it was Gothic III.

I've bought an xBox controller for my PC to see if it makes it any better, currently awaiting delivery.

Lazy design I guess. The controls and movement in this game are some of the worst I've ever had to suffer in a game. In my 24 years of gaming I've only ever played one game with controls as bad as this and it was Gothic III.

I've bought an xBox controller for my PC to see if it makes it any better, currently awaiting delivery.
the xbox controller won't help with this issue, unfortunately.

I know what he means, I feel like I have to let go of the control stick 3 meters before I hit a plant I want to harvest. or if you harvest a plant whilst running it immediately make geralt halt, which is fine in a realism sense, but it's just annoying and slows the whole game down.

OR sometimes when I'm trying to light a candle or torch I have to edge, back, back, forward a bit, change camera angle left a bit then I see I can light it.

Same with swimming sometimes, you can't just turn and face another direction, off Geralt goes with several strokes and it's imprecise feeling.

Or jumping on horses, I mean this should be so fluid it looks like an old western, I'd love you to call your horse and as it trots by not matter what angle you're at that Geralt performs a fast fluid mount. He's a witcher after all. Instead you have to line him up like an octogenarian on his first pony ride.

Disclaimer: I still bloody love this game but if you want to ask about improvements don't shoot the messenger :)

imo the controller helps for some of the inputs, but not for all ... turning in general is a hassle and roach is just a pain ... randomly stopping from full gallop with no reason (not running into anything, more than enough stamina, but stupid horse decides to just stop)

im not a "controller player" and i played every game so far on keyboard, this is the first game where i like the controller far better ... just the fighting feels WAY smoother and easier than on keyboard. but i guess thats personal preference ...

I have to agree. This is one of the first things I noticed in TW3. The controls aren't as fluid as in TW2. In the TW2 I never even thought about the controls. They just worked. Now they work, but the delay between the command and the action is to big. This applies only to running and stopping though. Slicing, dicing and dodging work as expected.

Having Geralt instantly turn 90° or 180° would look VERY out of place to say the least. Do not want.

This guy covers the issue with out of combat controls in the first five minutes of this. (Strong Language)

[video=youtube;GCUtsyG-B58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCUtsyG-B58[/video]

I don't agree with some of the stuff he says later in the video about the open world but he's spot on with the controls, I personally can't think of any title with basic movement that's this bad. And for me it does spoil it, we have a stunning world full of interesting characters and places, on top of that a fantastic story with top notch writing, all let down by a player character that controls like a drunken elephant.

This guy covers the issue with out of combat controls in the first five minutes of this. (Strong Language)

I don't agree with some of the stuff he says later in the video about the open world but he's spot on with the controls, I personally can't think of any title with basic movement that's this bad. And for me it does spoil it, we have a stunning world full of interesting characters and places, on top of that a fantastic story with top notch writing, all let down by a player character that controls like a drunken elephant.

Two things about this:

1) It's not better on a console, so PC users shouldn't be blaming that.
2) I found the Witcher 2 to be equally as bad and I played it through recently in anticipation.

[video=youtube;GCUtsyG-B58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCUtsyG-B58[/video]

It doesn't feel like how he says to me. In the real world I don't run at full speed from the first step, nor halt on a dime from a sprint... but I can when walking.
They feel very much like I'd expect, and the appropriate use of run/walk/sprint to accomplish the desired task is essential... as it is in real life.

He says that "running" to the left should act like dodge. Ignores doubletap to dodge, which is supremely easy to accomplish.

Utterly fails to understand what "open world" means, especially when "multi-region". And mis-represents that White Orchard is only a small prologue.

The difficulty with turning Geralt is most apparent when trying to be more precise, such as searching/looting around indoors. The horse delay is most apparent during races when you take an extra second or two before your horse actually starts running.

I've definitely noticed this, and commented on the Geralt part on Reddit the other day, then after doing the racing quests really started to notice the horse issue.

---

Also, yeah, sometimes crap-tier UI is just crap-tier UI. Sometimes crap-tier controls are just crap-tier controls. People really need to stop jumping to conclusions and blaming any platform for this stuff. If something is crappy in a game it's probably because... it's just crappy.

It doesn't feel like how he says to me. In the real world I don't run at full speed from the first step, nor halt on a dime from a sprint... but I can when walking.
They feel very much like I'd expect, and the appropriate use of run/walk/sprint to accomplish the desired task is essential... as it is in real life.

He says that "running" to the left should act like dodge. Ignores doubletap to dodge, which is supremely easy to accomplish.

Utterly fails to understand what "open world" means, especially when "multi-region". And mis-represents that White Orchard is only a small prologue.

You can't dodge or roll if you're not in combat and the game often decides you're not in combat when you're being attacked from range, you can't get out of the way either because he takes that slow step first, by the time he actually starts running you've already been hit and possibly stunned, putting you back at square one. As for running it's perfectly normal to go from standstill to running with the first step, you don't need to walk first or at least I don't, stopping of course is a different matter.

I doubt you go from standing to running with no difference to the performance. Maybe it looks different, but the reality is that it takes some distance to reach running speed. Two or three steps is probably about right. Geralt only has three movement animations/speeds, so this happens "step-wise" and looks a bit odd, but the effect is very similar to reality.

(Note that one significant feature of athletic training, and one that is indicated as being so important that over 100m it can overwhelm maximum speed for "similar" level athletes, is the initial acceleration performance... if you could reach full running speed in one stride, this would be a non-issue).

The complaint about long range dodging is a separate one to movement acceleration in general. I would think a solution would be to permit dodging/parrying whenever *either* Geralt or an enemy is in combat mode. This allows dodging when appropriate (which only active when in combat or has a drawn weapon fails under some circumstances).

The question is, what is open world anyway ? I´m sure if you ask 5 people what they think open world is you get 10 opinions and if he needs to go from a) to b) on a horse to call it open world so be it. His opinion is as valid as yours or mine.

I think regarding the controls he made valid points because they feel clunky and you have to get used to them, so if his number one priority in games is character control w3 may not be the right game for him.

Top Bottom