What's the downside to a Nilfgaard rule?

+
What's the downside to a Nilfgaard rule?

Seriously seems to be just the outright best ending to the game and Geralt's story and friends.

1. No more witch hunt
2. Ciri Rule likely most just one possible/best
3. Seems best outcome for most people of his friends

I guess only downside is Ciri and Geralt are not spending much time or any at all together like if she were to become a witcher.

Yeah They are not spending much time together but this is the ending no matter what... If she becomes a Witcher they train for a year and then she goes off alone and Geralt settles down with Yen/Triss. /lets her take make her own way in the world.

But at least with Ciri becoming the ruler it is more likely that Geralt will visit her, also it opens up a lot of potential for other games, I personally would love to see a Game about Ciri in which she is acting as a ruler and becomes the target of an assassination plot by her husband who it was poked at during the game that she would need to rule but didn't go too much into detail, with which she then takes back to her routes and her witcher training and powers to escape... Geralt would be someone whom she could turn too for help or assistance... making Geralt a secondary character still involved a little but not as much... I think there is so much potential in another series... Kind of like Witcher 2, but Ciri and the Emperor(WinkWink) an obvious plot but a fun one I think... Since we know there are some schemers in the emperors mist.

My thoughts is that any ending with Ciri Alive means an inevitable invitation to Nilf and her becoming ruler, since the only reason she becomes a Witcher is because she doesn't get the option because Geralt doesn't tell her about the Emperors offer. If she became the Witcher with such notoriety as the story describes and Nilf wins the war then the Emperor would likely send someone to find her and tell her of his offer, which she would then accept. If Nilf didn't win the war she wouldn't have the option anyway.

But until Ciri actually becomes Empress, you still have a bit of a tyrant on the throne... Though a man of his word and promises.

I also think that Geralt would be proud of her decisions in whatever she did, as long as she was happy. I would have thought that Triss or Yen might be in council with her since she knows them to be good friends and true to her always... But eh we shall see what Red has in stall for us with the next game.

Yeah They are not spending much time together but this is the ending no matter what... If she becomes a Witcher they train for a year and then she goes off alone and Geralt settles down with Yen/Triss. /lets her take make her own way in the world.

But at least with Ciri becoming the ruler it is more likely that Geralt will visit her, also it opens up a lot of potential for other games, I personally would love to see a Game about Ciri in which she is acting as a ruler and becomes the target of an assassination plot by her husband who it was poked at during the game that she would need to rule but didn't go too much into detail, with which she then takes back to her routes and her witcher training and powers to escape... Geralt would be someone whom she could turn too for help or assistance... making Geralt a secondary character still involved a little but not as much... I think there is so much potential in another series... Kind of like Witcher 2, but Ciri and the Emperor(WinkWink) an obvious plot but a fun one I think... Since we know there are some schemers in the emperors mist.

My thoughts is that any ending with Ciri Alive means an inevitable invitation to Nilf and her becoming ruler, since the only reason she becomes a Witcher is because she doesn't get the option because Geralt doesn't tell her about the Emperors offer. If she became the Witcher with such notoriety as the story describes and Nilf wins the war then the Emperor would likely send someone to find her and tell her of his offer, which she would then accept. If Nilf didn't win the war she wouldn't have the option anyway.

But until Ciri actually becomes Empress, you still have a bit of a tyrant on the throne... Though a man of his word and promises.

I also think that Geralt would be proud of her decisions in whatever she did, as long as she was happy. I would have thought that Triss or Yen might be in council with her since she knows them to be good friends and true to her always... But eh we shall see what Red has in stall for us with the next game.

Well i was thinking you would play as ciri but not anymore to many outcomes for her she might not even live.

If she became the Witcher with such notoriety as the story describes and Nilf wins the war then the Emperor would likely send someone to find her and tell her of his offer, which she would then accept. If Nilf didn't win the war she wouldn't have the option anyway.

This sub-plot requires you to read books, but in short Ciri's relation with her father is way worse than what is described in the game.

As for downsides - there are not many. As Northern Realms are based on Slavic nations of Middle-Ages, Nilfgaard is based mostly on Germany. With NR you get persecution of non-humans, but in general the atmosphere for regular folk is more relaxed than the order-loving Nilfgaard Empire. The game did a lot to paint Radovid in a negative light, but that was the result of events in Witcher 2. In the books Northern Realms are not as chaotic and lawless.

This sub-plot requires you to read books, but in short Ciri's relation with her father is way worse than what is described in the game.

As for downsides - there are not many. As Northern Realms are based on Slavic nations of Middle-Ages, Nilfgaard is based mostly on Germany. With NR you get persecution of non-humans, but in general the atmosphere for regular folk is more relaxed than the order-loving Nilfgaard Empire. The game did a lot to paint Radovid in a negative light, but that was the result of events in Witcher 2. In the books Northern Realms are not as chaotic and lawless.

Yeah it does seem that way. My thoughts is that although Emhyr var Emreis takes out opposition and conspirators that he would basically just unite the people... I know in politics the're always problems with foreign rulers, etc... but I think he would have a sub-state for the northern realms to maintain them with a native ruler, I also feel that if Ciri ruled that she would basically unite the country anyway...

So what about everything they did before and during war: rape, murder, burning vilages, Nilfgard started war in the first place, dont seem to good to me, dont seem to good to mages either

Well the genocide of the Mage's is the fate of NR ruling... Emhyr's rule also includes:
a truce with the Lodge of Sorceresses and the protection of the once revered Mages.

Well the genocide of the Mage's is the fate of NR ruling... Emhyr's rule also includes:
a truce with the Lodge of Sorceresses and the protection of the once revered Mages.
Agreed, nilfgard somewhat become from empire of evil to somewhat liberation army of north crazy rulers, and mu tought of nilfs dont treat mages well is from books and previous games

Then the best option is to go with your love to kovir or blue mountains and ciri become witcher, and let world burn in hell who care who wins they all bad anyway, geralt is no here to save world but his loved ones

Then the best option is to go with your love to kovir or blue mountains and ciri become witcher, and let world burn in hell who care who wins they all bad anyway, geralt is no here to save world but his loved ones

Partly. I think the best ending is Geralt retiring with Yennefer, Ciri becoming a witcher, and Nilfgaard winning the war with Temeria as a vassal or client state.

Last edited:
Wanted to help Nilfgaard rule but in the end I think Djkstra's rule is the best. He's progressive, experienced and is ruthless when he has to be. Ciri far too idealistic and naive to rule. Either way, the old kinds were a cancer and it's good that they are gone.

I think Djkstra is the best, he's really smart and pragmatic man, but I didn't chose him. Just couldn't sell Roshe after he helped me so much so got Nilfgaard rules ending. Ciri as empress of course a risky thing, but she got Emhyr as teacher and adviser and, potentially, Yen/Triss + Gerald as personal sorcerer and bodyguard which is nice. Oh, yea, she's also very hard to kill so good luck with assassinations attempts, maybe only poison can help... So I guess it's the right chose, I agree with Emhyr - what she can do as a witcher to change world for better? Kill a drowner? Yea, it's nice but pathetic.
P.S. Why why why we couldn't kill Philippa Eilhart , she's such a "bad woman", I would gladly gave her to Djkstra.

I think Djkstra is the best, he's really smart and pragmatic man, but I didn't chose him. Just couldn't sell Roshe after he helped me so much so got Nilfgaard rules ending. Ciri as empress of course a risky thing, but she got Emhyr as teacher and adviser and, potentially, Yen/Triss + Gerald as personal sorcerer and bodyguard which is nice. Oh, yea, she's also very hard to kill so good luck with assassinations attempts, maybe only poison can help... So I guess it's the right chose, I agree with Emhyr - what she can do as a witcher to change world for better? Kill a drowner? Yea, it's nice but pathetic.
P.S. Why why why we couldn't kill Philippa Eilhart , she's such a "bad woman", I would gladly gave her to Djkstra.

I feel that Ciri has done enough to help the world on a grand scale; she nearly sacrificed her life to stop the White Frost. I think it's best to leave others to the ruling of Nilfgaard, I'm sure there are plenty of capable nobles back in Nilfgaard. Time to let Ciri have some happiness as a simple witcher.

I feel that Ciri has done enough to help the world on a grand scale; she nearly sacrificed her life to stop the White Frost. I think it's best to leave others to the ruling of Nilfgaard, I'm sure there are plenty of capable nobles back in Nilfgaard. Time to let Ciri have some happiness as a simple witcher.
Maybe, but it's her choice, Emhyr just told her logical reasons and offered an opportunity. I dunno, she was running all her life at this point, "steady" empress life maybe something for her, in the end even Geralt retired with Yen completely or for the most parts with Triss. Anyway, she can always be like "Screw you guys, I'm going home" and teleport away lol.

Time to let Ciri have some happiness as a simple witcher.

How will she be happy? Peasants spitting as she passes by and haggling for every bit of coin on every contract, hiding her true self from everyone, hiding from using her powers. That ain't happiness. That's the same life of misery that Geralt has led. That she might find moments of joy doesn't deny the situation she'll mostly find herself in and when her legend will spread like it did with Geralt then powerful mages/rulers will once again try and capture her and use her for her own ends. She will never find peace or true happiness.

Let her go, let her settle down and became the golden ruler she was always meant to be and for those saying she's naive I'd say she's an idealist, but a cunning woman, capable of handling herself. She isn't trained in politics true, but it's not like Emhyr will make her Empress for some years and without training her along with Yennefer and/or Phillipa. This ain't Saskia we're talking about since Ciri knows exactly what the Lodge tried to do and knows who Phillipa is.

Dijkstra would be a good ruler, it is true, but then what? Another war between North and Nilfgaard this time the Northern Empire invading the south, more dead, more suffering, more pain. Let it end. Let the north know some peace for once ( since Ciri can trace her bloodline to many of the royal families of the north she can claim all the vacant thrones ). Geralt's always complained about how the world is terrible. To lose the one true opportunity to make it better would be a great shame.

maybe downside is Phillippa as advisor, we all know how kings end up, who she advise, or if you consider only ending credits there in no downside it is happy ending

Last edited:
maybe downside is Phillippa as advisor, we all know how kings end up, who she advise, or if you consider only ending credits there in no downside it is happy ending
It's only her plans. Nilfgaard has a lot of mages and I', not sure why the hell anyone would want Phillippa as adviser. Emghyr forgave the Lodge, but work with them? Nope nope nope, I really don't see any reasons for that if you know their deeds, Emhyr and Crir knows.

Top Bottom