[Minor Spoilers] Permanent Crossbow bug

+
[Minor Spoilers] Permanent Crossbow bug

When the pirates attack the ship during "Destination: Skellige", Geralt shows up with a crossbow in his hand that's impossible to get rid of. When you switch to your sword the crossbow stays on your back during cutscenes and everything. The crossbow specifically shows up in the scene where Geralt wakes up upon hearing the fighting and goes onto the deck to fight the pirates. After that, the crossbow is seemingly permanent and nothing can remove it from Geralt's back once its "sheathed".

http://i.imgur.com/hWNGYaT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ApXxKp9.jpg

The crossbow can be used for light and heavy swings like a normal sword but it does no damage. It can also parry, so it's essentially a regular sword with a crossbow model that inexplicably shows up.

Has anyone else run into something like this and is it at all possible to fix?

I'm on PC.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it game breaking, but it's a very annoying bug that hampers immersion like other minor visual bugs.

Does this persist after loading a save?

I've tried reloading multiple saves, reinstalling the game, having everything unequipped before the cutscene and clearing my inventory before the cutscene, and verifying the integrity of the game cache on Steam. The crossbow still appears and still persists.

I see. In that case send me your save (tomasz.kozera at cdprojektred.com) and we'll see what we can do.

As a workaround for now I would try to unequip crossbow, save and then load. Not sure if it would help but I think there's a good chance it would.

As a workaround for now I would try to unequip crossbow, save and then load. Not sure if it would help but I think there's a good chance it would.

That worked! I unequipped the crossbow and saved my game before talking to Captain Wolverstone. I then reloaded that save and proceeded as normal. When the pirates attack, Geralt now appears in the cutscene with his steel sword in hand, and no giant crossbow model. Combat seems to function and no other bugs seem to emerge from the cutscene. Afterwards I can equip the crossbow I had previously unequipped and the special bolts like normal and they function as intended.

That worked! I unequipped the crossbow and saved my game before talking to Captain Wolverstone. I then reloaded that save and proceeded as normal. When the pirates attack, Geralt now appears in the cutscene with his steel sword in hand, and no giant crossbow model. Combat seems to function and no other bugs seem to emerge from the cutscene. Afterwards I can equip the crossbow I had previously unequipped and the special bolts like normal and they function as intended.

Weird, this workaround didn't do the job for me.

We are doing our best to find a fix for the issue. If you still have the crossbow which is stuck in your hand then please use the workaround I posted previously. The bigger problem is when you no longer have the crossbow - we're looking into finding a way to fix it.

This is also happening to me and the workaround didn't work sadly. Also tried using the debug console to change the character model to Ciri, this gets rid of the crossbow temporarily but it comes back as soon as I change back to Geralt.

Looking forward to a fix but other than that, great game folks! :)

I have this bug, the work around didn't work for me either. About 50 hours later and it's still there... breaking my cutscenes, and precious moments. Sigh.

This is also happening to me and the workaround didn't work sadly. Also tried using the debug console to change the character model to Ciri, this gets rid of the crossbow temporarily but it comes back as soon as I change back to Geralt.
Well, the only command that worked for me was fb2(), but it resets Geralt to zero, so you have to: drop everything before you use the command, then loot it; take note of every quest item, since you can't drop'em, then use additem() to have them again; regain levels and skill points with commands like levelup and addskillpoints.

I know, it's a bit boring, but it worked for me.

Anyway, if you use the command fb2() before taking the ship (with a totally anew Geralt, level to zero and no items besides the starting ones), the bug won't appear.

Last edited:
Managed to bypass this by activating the debug console using a mod and spamming "Geralt" a few times just as the pirates attacking cutscene starts. Probably not recommended but I couldn't continue with that damn crossbow ruining my cutscenes lol

Managed to bypass this by activating the debug console using a mod and spamming "Geralt" a few times just as the pirates attacking cutscene starts. Probably not recommended but I couldn't continue with that damn crossbow ruining my cutscenes lol

Tried this, Geralt spawns inside the room he was asleep in for me, with no clothes. Even using the tptopos command to get on the ship, the pirates are unattackable. Any more information you can give on how this worked for you.

I found a quick fix.

If you have the nexusmods debug console installed, drop all the gear you want to keep, type addAllArmors
This removes all your armor and weapons replacing it with new ones. (including that crossbow) simply drop everything in your bags and collect your old gear.

Just remember to take note of any quest items or trophies you had so you can add them in again.

Last edited:
Yeah this is really dumb I did the addArmor command and I CANNOT for the life of me find out what the commands are to get back my Eye of nehalena or Magic Lamp or any of my damn quest items so I am screwed hardcore now!!!

Top Bottom