Do you think Witcher 3 can win Game of The Year 2015 award?

+
sure it can...and it will. It just won't win GOTY everywhere, but it will win many awards on many websites.

Frankly only competition for it among AAA games is MGS5 and Persona5 (not sure if it counts as AAA). Arkham Knight looks more of the same

2015 is a year of big hits and there are plenty of games that will have a shot at this. Witcher 3 is obviously one of the main contenders but dont forget about Uncharted 4, MGS5, Rise of Tomb Raider, Star Wars: Battlefront, Star Citizen: Squadron 42 among others. Even "small" games like Ori and The Blind Forest can give it a beating since Ori is a perfect masterpiece and Witcher 3 is far from perfect.

I personally think Uncharted 4 will win.
I think you not really aware of the release date of some of these games. Uncharted 4 will not come out this year, only 2016. Star Citizen will maybe come out in 2016, but thats not even sure.

I hope we get nominated, but there are already great games released and there will be more before the year is out. It will be a close race just to be included in the nominations. =)

I would be shocked if this game doesn't sweep the awards. The polish and launch is way better than DA:I, which I loved last year, and that game won a shit ton of awards. DA:I was an 8.5, TW3 a 9/10 for me.

Bloodborne, Batman, Metal Gear... (I don't really care about neither of these) It won't be easy... but if CDPR keeps patching the game, and the first expansion will be good enough to put TW3 back on the radar (games are forgotten way too quickly these days), I'd say it has a very good chance to win a lot of GOTY awards.

I would be shocked if this game doesn't sweep the awards. The polish and launch is way better than DA:I, which I loved last year, and that game won a shit ton of awards. DA:I was an 8.5, TW3 a 9/10 for me.
Yeah, but there weren't too many contenders in 2014.

Last edited:
Unless batman is a complete flop, full of bugs and glitches and frame rate issues and whatever else, witcher 3 and all other games have 0 chance against batman.

And that exactly is my impression from The Witcher. The only difference is that in TW3 you actually are allowed to chose difficulty. I played only on a Death March, and combat proves to be far more challenging than in Dark Souls. Of course Witcher gives you a lot more character development than you get in Dark Souls. Which sooner or later may lead to pretty OP builds, even on Death March, making it quite easy. But on the average, when you're not min-maxing, combat on the hardest difficulty is very challenging, and even needs a lot of preparation before the encounter itself.
I mean - you have every single combat mechanics in TW3 that you have n DS. Parry and riposte? Check. Dodge? Check-check, two types of dodges! Block? Check. Single use items? Check as hell. Spells? The same, but much more dynamic. And then you even have more - like decocts and potions, environmental hazards. Man, did you know that you can push a bandit into the trajectory of a bolt fired by his fellow bandit, and he will get injured or killed? At one bandit camp I have managed to kill half of the bandits just by having their friends accidentally shoot them in the back. Can't overstate how awesome is this, especially on Death March, where sometimes enemy bolts deal far more damage than your sword.

The only clear advantage of Dark Souls combat I can see are the different movesets for different kinds of weapons. But of course here we cannot have this, as Geralt is a trained swordsman, and trained with very specific type of sword, so...

Actually , my point was , eventhough you had all those mechanisms in both games , DS feels more refined.I play with KB+M on both games and how to put ot..... DS feels more 'responsive' 'refined' .You had to perfect every timing and the game allows you to do so. In witcher the gameplay is leaning towards more blind hack and slash ( i have to agree that there is more strategy involved too, and lets face it geralt is a witcher , and it IS supposed to hack and slashey)

For example take in parries , in witcher it is more easily 'forgiven' incl the timings.In DS however......."YOU DIED"

TL;DR - Witcher has more strategy , DS is more refined

Or as usual, it's going to be Batman: Arkham title (Knight)?... I really wish W3 to win the award because the game is Absolutely AMAZING, but.... I have this bad feeling that Arkham Knight will take the title from CDPR :(

Your thoughts?
Yes, W3...
Case f'ing closed!

GotY (Game of the Year)?
Whose the judge? you? some group of industry insiders?
Though anybodies GotY should have more relevance than their E3 awards, seeing as GotY is about actual Games while E3 is just trailers and Prerelease footage, before any actual game exists. However in reality E3 Trailer Awards are much more important than the Released Games Awards

It''s not just the Media and Publishers though, as the recent so called Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrade fuss shows.
This blew up before the games was actually even released and was based on comparing a preview pre release version to an 2013 E3 trailer .
Now simply put, to downgrade the graphics of a game, first you need a game then the Graphics must be Downgraded.
Whatever the state of the 2013 E3 footage, what it wasn't was the Witcher 3 game. In no way, shape or form could any footage in engine, just a snippet, a tiny section of content, be considered as representing the final product, released after another two years of adding content.

I thought the uproar over Watchdogs was equally unreasonable as far as so called graphics downgrade was concerned, it was a poor 2nd rate overhyped and underdelivered and very buggy as a released game. Those were much bigger issues than some, likely, required optimization of the game, to get it running at minimum requirements. That game was never in the running for anyones GotY, it was just another genreic Ubisoft Open World, mediocre at it's very best.

Contrast that with Witcher 3, Downgrade fussed about before release, but pretty much a non subject post release.

Over Hyped?
No well and truly justified and accurately praised, acclaimed by some as the best Open world RPG they' have ever played, not a mere GotY but simply the best ever..

Underdelivered?
Again met and surpassed all realistic expectations, if anything it's overdelivered, CyberPunk 2077 has had a very high standard set for it.

Very Buggy?
Once more, No Very Unbuggy if anything, sure bugs exist, but I cant think of a single open world game released with so few bugs and mostly they are very minor niggles, Despite that CDPR have been incredibley quick to respond to issues with two patches within the first week for PC (As well as the Day 1 patch), console patches work a bit slower due to MS and Sony control, so i don't know or really care about them.

Perfect Released Game?
No, that's impossible to achieve as we all have different and often mutually excusive criteria on what makes the perfect game. The only one I can Speak for is if it's my Perfect Released Game or not, it's too soon for that when I'm still playing

My GotY
That will have to wait until I've finished playing and the years end, but based soley on the parts I've played.
No it's not a GotY contender, it's much better than that, more like Game of this Generation, a bigger criteria isn't really feasable as the power of the consoles defines what's possible for each era.

As to awards I coudn't give a Toss. Only my opinion is important, nobody else matters, that should apply to you all. You should just accept I know best.
Seriously though, make yoiur own mind up, based on your tastes, what the Publisher controlled Media (they do control because they pay for it through Advertising), is of no importance at all

Last edited:
For me it's already the game of the past 3 years, so I'm guessing that, for me atleast, it's going to be the game of the year.

@TheEvilChris
This has probably been asked before, but: are you a Bioware spy?

I think this should be GOTY however it's impact will be greater. This game takes things Skyrim only hinted at and makes them realized. It's a masterpiece and probably something people will still be talking about and referencing long after other GOTY's have had their day!

I love the game it's amazing but MGSV will come out in september so it might take GOT. I doubt that Arkham Knight will even come close to Witcher or MGS.

Honestly this is the best game I played in many, many years, honestly I don't see how any game this year can even come close. So for me personally TW3 is already an instant GOTY.

It's not a question of it will win GotY. It only a matter of how MANY GotY awards it will win :)

CDPR, You guys NAILED it!!!!

Yes it will if u start to patch PS 4 from CE 34878-0

you realize that patching a game on console (MS / Sony) requires a certification for EACH patch? certification process can take up to one week, and the patch may be rejected by MS / Sony and CDPR would have to re-submit. And the best thing in all that, is that so soon after a game release, a company has to pay a fee for certification.. and it's not cheap.

Moral: if you want patches quick, play on PC ;)

Top Bottom