Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to 'downplay' it , moderators here are sensitive to the 'd' word and rightfully so , if you have read any thread that was a few hundred pages long discussing the graphics of this game , it almost entirely devolves into a flame war.

If anyone whose post is deleted wishes to discuss it, take it to PM.

I don't even know what you're talking about, what 'd' word? Downgrade? I don't think I was flaming anyone by explaining how they were wrong, I just wanted to shed some light on the graphic situation because many people don't understand it.

Clearly another person that is here that hasn't read any previous pages of this thread . The general consensus is the game looks fine , even great at its best moments. There are some janky stuff and abysmal textures which is expected in open world game.

The game however doesn't look like the Sword of Destiny Trailer which many people here believe would benefit the game in terms of atmosphere . If you consider that perspective 'bitching' about graphics you are free to leave your opinion.

I know the ins and outs just fine. Which is why I said 'still.' Fact is - all this bellyaching is getting nowhere, valid argument or not. There's nothing being said that is constructive and really all of the past 30-40 pages are simple regurgitation.

We know what the deal is, what happened between that trailer and now - and there's nothing we can do about it. Maybe it's time to move on or at least to get to the 'acceptance' part of this 'venting' and 'grief.'

@Kimonimo - your first post was deleted because it was in response to a deleted post. Regarding the other two three, if you wish to discuss forum moderation, please take it to PM.

I'd love to know if anyone is trying to get the nvidia fog, volumetrics and terrain tessellation to work or if they are written off.
Sorting out the grass seemed like the quickest easiest thing to patch to appease the baying masses.
Some statement of intent would go a long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCa8dKVLWqY

I know the ins and outs just fine. Which is why I said 'still.' Fact is - all this bellyaching is getting nowhere, valid argument or not. There's nothing being said that is constructive and really all of the past 30-40 pages are simple regurgitation.

We know what the deal is, what happened between that trailer and now - and there's nothing we can do about it. Maybe it's time to move on or at least to get to the 'acceptance' part of this 'venting' and 'grief.'

Just because you want to 'move on' doesn't mean the rest of us need to subscribe to your opinion.

No one is stopping you from moving on . Just don't participate in this thread if you don't want to listen or deal with any of this.

---------- Updated at 03:10 PM ----------

I'd love to know if anyone is trying to get the nvidia fog, volumetrics and terrain tessellation to work or if they are written off.
Sorting out the grass seemed like the quickest easiest thing to patch to appease the baying masses.

Two small things that would help is removing the aerial fog , I'm pretty sure there are modders trying to do that. The second thing would be soft particle effects.

Every time we discuss the graphics, it reminds me of when I saw the 2013 trailer for the first time. Man, I just fell in love with the atmosphere....It pains me that we will never experience this....

I thought my posts were pretty constructive, I was trying to explain the issue to people who didn't understand it. Do you think I should go about this some other way?

I do not believe nothing can be done about it because bellyaching has done a lot for gaming consumers in the past and CDPR hasn't shown a history of ignoring us. If a vast understanding of the issue spread(more-so than it has), the company may eventually address it properly. My post earlier was deleted but as I said in it they haven't addressed the main topic of downgrade yet. So far they've only talked about the trailers from 2013 and an old renderer, the content downgrade from 2014's official gameplay videos is still unresolved.

Like I said to another guy earlier, I think you should post in another thread. Talking about not talking about the topic at hand is what's really unproductive and certainly does not lead us anywhere..

I highly doubt CDPR is doing work on it or else they would have said so. There are many people looking into game files right now but until official tools come I don't think we'll see anything graphical resolved.

Every time we discuss the graphics, it reminds me of when I saw the 2013 trailer for the first time. Man, I just fell in love with the atmosphere....It pains me that we will never experience this....

Don't get depressed , I feel sad never experiencing the Sword of Destiny.

Still love the game. Pray for mods/patches.

I highly doubt CDPR is doing work on it or else they would have said so. There are many people looking into game files right now but until official tools come I don't think we'll see anything graphical resolved.

1.03 and 1.04 both included changes that made improvements to the grass, so some changes are definitely happening. Volumetrics would require a lot more work, as the objects would need to be added.

@luc0s - drop the name-calling. We're expecting a renewed politeness on BOTH sides of this discussion.

not gonna happen, even with mods, it require deep access to code, and even then you need somone with high level knowledge about that stuff and i dont know anyone at that level modding W3 right now ,not to mention its Nvidia tech wich is closed by nature

unless by some miracle the code is still there and its just tonned down/turned off ( highly doubt it )

the only realist expection are these :

higher view distance/lod, equivalent to E3 and even more ( once they unlock it )

better lighting for certain area , because ive already spotted very good lighting that look nearly exactly like the E3 demos, but they arnt widely used ( espcially indoor ) so if we have accesse to " per area lighting " settings we can get that

Last edited:
Just because you want to 'move on' doesn't mean the rest of us need to subscribe to your opinion.

No one is stopping you from moving on . Just don't participate in this thread if you don't want to listen or deal with any of this.

By that token, there's no need to even reply to my comment, is there? But yet you do. I can only assume it's because I don't 'subscribe' to your opinion.

I thought my posts were pretty constructive, I was trying to explain the issue to people who didn't understand it. Do you think I should go about this some other way?

I do not believe nothing can be done about it because bellyaching has done a lot for gaming consumers in the past and CDPR hasn't shown a history of ignoring us. If a vast understanding of the issue spread(more-so than it has), the company may eventually address it properly. My post earlier was deleted but as I said in it they haven't addressed the main topic of downgrade yet. So far they've only talked about the trailers from 2013 and an old renderer, the content downgrade from 2014's official gameplay videos is still unresolved.

Like I said to another guy earlier, I think you should post in another thread. Talking about not talking about the topic at hand is what's really unproductive and certainly does not lead us anywhere..

I'm not picking on any one person, my comments aren't directed to you specifically.

Well how would they be able to address it properly? By giving us the game it looked like in the trailers? Was that even a finished product, or more of a tech demo? Depending on how far they even went with that - resurrecting it could be a herculean task - one that makes no financial sense whatsoever.

Of course, we don't know what stage that was at, because they won't confirm the downgrade - but I got the impression they had. Perhaps not on these forums, but from hearing on the topic on other websites I got the impression they had addressed it - just without copping to it like so many seem to want.

And as to whether I should be commenting or not - that hardly seems fair when all I did was exclaim my amazement that people still find this topic one of value. I'm still waiting for even one person to manage in sounding convincing.

Here's to hope.

By that token, there's no need to even reply to my comment, is there? But yet you do. I can only assume it's because I don't 'subscribe' to your opinion.

I'm not picking on any one person, my comments aren't directed to you specifically.

Well how would they be able to address it properly? By giving us the game it looked like in the trailers? Was that even a finished product, or more of a tech demo? Depending on how far they even went with that - resurrecting it could be a herculean task - one that makes no financial sense whatsoever.

Of course, we don't know what stage that was at, because they won't confirm the downgrade - but I got the impression they had. Perhaps not on these forums, but from hearing on the topic on other websites I got the impression they had addressed it - just without copping to it like so many seem to want.

And as to whether I should be commenting or not - that hardly seems fair when all I did was exclaim my amazement that people still find this topic one of value. I'm still waiting for even one person to manage in sounding convincing.

Here's to hope.

With your rig, you should be supporting us buddy.

I don't get why people make such a huge deal out of this. Is it because The Witcher 3 didn't turn out to look quite as good as the original trailers? Or is it because people legitimately think The Witcher 3 looks bad?

I can understand the former reason, but the latter reason just boggles my mind. Despite the visual downgrade I think The Witcher 3 looks GREAT.

It's also not the first time that the final game doesn't match up the initial tech demos. It happens so often, this isn't anything new. Dissapointing, but nothing to get outraged over.

People who are outraged over the graphics of The Witcher 3 really need to get their priorities checked.

First of all, it's just a game.

Second; the game still looks great.

And third; There is so much more to a game than just the graphics. Of all the elements that make a game, graphics is pretty much at the bottom of my priority list. Gameplay, storytelling, worldbuilding, sound/music and aesthetics are all way more important than graphics. And I think The Witcher 3 really shines in all those departments, especially the storytelling, worldbuilding and sound/music. I think the gameplay is leaps ahead of TW2 as well.

Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, graphics are so super unimportant that the outrage and arguing is really unwarranted. I'd understand the outrage a little bit better if TW3 was ugly as sin, but it really isn't, the game still looks good, if not great!

I don't get why people make such a huge deal out of this. Is it because The Witcher 3 didn't turn out to look quite as good as the original trailers? Or is it because people legitimately think The Witcher 3 looks bad?

I can understand the former reason, but the latter reason just boggles my mind. Despite the visual downgrade I think The Witcher 3 looks GREAT.

It's also not the first time that the final game doesn't match up the initial tech demos. It happens so often, this isn't anything new. Dissapointing, but nothing to get outraged over.

People who are outraged over the graphics of The Witcher 3 really need to get their priorities checked.

First of all, it's just a game.

Second; the game still looks great.

And third; There is so much more to a game than just the graphics. Of all the elements that make a game, graphics is pretty much at the bottom of my priority list. Gameplay, storytelling, worldbuilding, sound/music and aesthetics are all way more important than graphics. And I think The Witcher 3 really shines in all those departments, especially the storytelling, worldbuilding and sound/music. I think the gameplay is leaps ahead of TW2 as well.

Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, graphics are so super unimportant that the outrage and arguing is really unwarranted. I'd understand the outrage a little bit better if TW3 was ugly as sin, but it really isn't, the game still looks good, if not great!

I'm not sure if I should repeat myself for the 20th time or let you read the previous post. We are not 'outraged'.

We want the game to look better , most of us think the game looks fine, great at times and terrible at its worst due to some weird janky low resolution textures here and there and lighting that doesn't work correctly at times.

Does it look like the Sword of Destiny? Nope. Would it benefit the game if it looked better . Yes.

If you feel graphics are unimportant , you are entitled to have that opinion. But you are in a thread called Witcher 3 Graphics , the title suggest the people posting feel that Graphics are important enough that it adds to a game. If you want to hear me praise the game go read my previous post.

I read a few pages ago that someone mentioned that this thread is completely useless which has been proven otherwise. If we did not make comments (reasonable one) abotu some araes of teh visuals, you think the developers will bother to make improvement. There is a big different between ranting about visuals downgrade, & making unbias comparsion of existing game & hoping CDPR can work a bit to make W3 on par or ewven exceed some current games on the market.

1.04 have some good improvement to grass. They feel alot less flat now, & less like sprites. Although they did not post here often, I think they did look into the more contructive & non-trolling posts, & take heart about some comments & make improvement. I appreciate that.

I feel grass in 1.04 is about as far as they can do, without drastic changes. If they can update the lighting to 2014 gameply demo quality, in a future patch, I will be over the moon, & show support via paid DLCs:

Those patches did have some minor graphical fixes but it was the blood on water addition that really drilled in that idea that the company isn't working hard restoring the old visuals.

The blood from 2014 was pretty amazing so when I saw the patch notes I was excited it was making a return, I also remember a red post saying it was a bug that could be fixed and I was really looking forward to it even before the game was released Do you by chance know why they changed the way blood works to begin with? It's one of the most bizarre things to downgrade.
Anyway, right now it there are splatters on the ground only and if you kill a monster on water it creates a pool of blood but in the 35 minute gameplay video pools of blood appeared on the water with every hit. It looked a bit excessive but the tech was really cool.

The grass fix was just a mipmap slider which is useful for people who don't know about mipaps but the default values created aliasing and lowered performance. I wouldn't agree that was something like an HD texture release or an improved interior lighting patch.

not gonna happen, even with mods, it require deep access to code, and even then you need somone with high level knowledge about that stuff and i dont know anyone at that level modding W3 right now ,not to mention its Nvidia tech wich is closed by nature

unless by some miracle the code is still there and its just tonned down/turned off ( highly doubt it )

the only realist expection are these :

higher view distance/lod, equivalent to E3 and even more ( once they unlock it )

better lighting for certain area , because ive already spotted very good lighting that look nearly exactly like the E3 demos, but they arnt widely used ( espcially indoor ) so if we have accesse to " per area lighting " settings we can get that

You can already increase a lot of the view distance and with the redkit(are we still getting this?) we could probably improve interior lighting since we can clearly see that improved rendering during cutscenes. The things removed that bother me the most are all shaders and textures though, our game looks so flat all the time.

Just found out about Nvidia's DSR for my 970. Trying the Witcher 3 maxed at 4k and it looks fantastic(despite the 30-20 fps lol). This is how it should've looked maxed at 1920x1080 :p

Here's to hope.

I don't think anyone with a sensible mind thinks that the Sword of Destiny's Visual fidelity can be 100% replicated , most people would like it close to the 35minute gameplay demo and be perfectly satisfied.

Everyone has their opinion on how the game should look like , if you are perfectly happy with how the game looks like , Kudos and more power to you. We aren't stopping you from enjoying the game.

I personally think the game doesn't look bad , I just think it could look better judging by the 35minute gameplay demo a High end rig running on Ultra should be a step above the console version.

---------- Updated at 03:51 PM ----------

Just found out about Nvidia's DSR for my 970. Trying the Witcher 3 maxed at 4k and it looks fantastic(despite the 30-20 fps lol). This is how it should've looked maxed at 1920x1080 :p

I'm running it Native 4k on SLI 980s , Ultra. The game still lacks many things from the 35minute Gameplay Demo , from facial animation, water effects , lighting .

I think using DSR helps with the horrible aliasing , for some reason even at 4K the aliasing is quite noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom