Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what its worth I think the game looks fantastic. Easily one of the best looking games I've ever played.
Would I be against it looking better ? No, but I wouldn't be able to see if it did since my computer wouldn't be able to handle it.
Do I think improving the graphics should be a priority post-release ? Absolutely not. The game looks great as it is, immersive as all hell and a texture there or here could not possibly ruin this experience for me.

For me, I just feel privileged that I had the opportunity to play a game like this in my lifetime. Been gaming over 20 years and never have I felt the need to go on a message board and express my love for a game. With this one I really just want the people who made this to know what a fantastic thing they've created.

Saddens me to see people not liking the game because I just love it so much :)

The fact is the game looks amazing at very high res aka 4k. Helps diminish areas of weakness. That being said the volumetric fog and better lighting would make this game have the awesome atmosphere those trailers had. I hope someday an advanced ultra is released. If not we'll modders can do only so much and their can only be so much tweaking.

Those patches did have some minor graphical fixes but it was the blood on water addition that really drilled in that idea that the company isn't working hard restoring the old visuals.

The blood from 2014 was pretty amazing so when I saw the patch notes I was excited it was making a return, I also remember a red post saying it was a bug that could be fixed and I was really looking forward to it even before the game was released Do you by chance know why they changed the way blood works to begin with? It's one of the most bizarre things to downgrade.
Anyway, right now it there are splatters on the ground only and if you kill a monster on water it creates a pool of blood but in the 35 minute gameplay video pools of blood appeared on the water with every hit. It looked a bit excessive but the tech was really cool.

The grass fix was just a mipmap slider which is useful for people who don't know about mipaps but the default values created aliasing and lowered performance. I wouldn't agree that was something like an HD texture release or an improved interior lighting patch.

You can already increase a lot of the view distance and with the redkit(are we still getting this?) we could probably improve interior lighting since we can clearly see that improved rendering during cutscenes. The things removed that bother me the most are all shaders and textures though, our game looks so flat all the time.

Just reading the patch notes I think their focus is making the game playable with hairworks , so far the patches do nothing for me , I'm still sitting at 40ish FPS with Hairworks+Ultra 4K.

You can already increase a lot of the view distance and with the redkit(are we still getting this?) we could probably improve interior lighting since we can clearly see that improved rendering during cutscenes. The things removed that bother me the most are all shaders and textures though, our game looks so flat all the time.

no the view distance is locked, you can only add view distance to shadow/foliage, the general view distance is fixed and cant be changed, you can notice the limit by the blue fog , wich is very close , i can show you how modded the view distance look vs the 35mn gameplay, its pretty big

For what its worth I think the game looks fantastic. Easily one of the best looking games I've ever played.
Would I be against it looking better ? No, but I wouldn't be able to see if it did since my computer wouldn't be able to handle it.
Do I think improving the graphics should be a priority post-release ? Absolutely not. The game looks great as it is, immersive as all hell and a texture there or here could not possibly ruin this experience for me.

For me, I just feel privileged that I had the opportunity to play a game like this in my lifetime. Been gaming over 20 years and never have I felt the need to go on a message board and express my love for a game. With this one I really just want the people who made this to know what a fantastic thing they've created.

Saddens me to see people not liking the game because I just love it so much :)

We love the game , did anyone here say the game was bad or terrible , I spent 45hrs doing mainly sidequest , something I haven't done in years.

If you love a game you always want it to get better.

---------- Updated at 03:59 PM ----------

The fact is the game looks amazing at very high res aka 4k. Helps diminish areas of weakness. That being said the volumetric fog and better lighting would make this game have the awesome atmosphere those trailers had. I hope someday an advanced ultra is released. If not we'll modders can do only so much and their can only be so much tweaking.

As someone that plays this game at 4K ultra , I can say that , it helps the game and harms the game at the same time ,in terms of visuals . It makes textures that are lower resolution so much more obvious.

The lighting in this game though definitely could improve.

Unless you have a super small studio, Its highly unlikely the person(s) who do bug fix is the person(s) in charge of improving visuals, so you can have improved graphics & other stuff done at same time post release. Obviously someone has to put all these together, but on a grand sacle of things, its not a stopping point.

Obviously some tasks will overlap, so they have to pioritise which should be patch first, which later.

With your rig, you should be supporting us buddy.

:) Well my rig can just manage a steady 60fps @ 3440x1440. Any more graphical fidelity than what's on offer and my system will start to choke.

I don't think anyone with a sensible mind thinks that the Sword of Destiny's Visual fidelity can be 100% replicated , most people would like it close to the 35minute gameplay demo and be perfectly satisfied.

Everyone has their opinion on how the game should look like , if you are perfectly happy with how the game looks like , Kudos and more power to you. We aren't stopping you from enjoying the game.

I personally think the game doesn't look bad , I just think it could look better judging by the 35minute gameplay demo a High end rig running on Ultra should be a step above the console version.

Well even just being close to Sword of Destiny - is going to require a much beefier system than even your 980 sli to run it in 4k. Would you want it to get to the point that 2 Titan Xs are required for 60 fps 1080p?

Honestly I have no idea what it would take, but the game is already very demanding. And fidelity affects everyone, low settings or not, its the engine itself that determines performance. Craving more is fine, but less than 1% are going to be able to enjoy it if CDProjekt were to follow the wishes of a vocal minority.

@TheokolesOfRome
The graphics I want back have nothing to do with the trailers they spoke about in the Eurogamer article, I've never bought into trailers. "Official Gameplay" trailers on the other hand are supposed to be, and were claimed to be all the way up until last week, representative of the final product. The official gameplay videos were absolutely rendered in real-time at playable frame rates and all(or at least most) of the shaders, textures, particle effects, and models they made for that footage were things made and done with at that time.

It's not like the game was in some alpha state either, you have to remember the game was delayed twice. The day they showed the 35 minute trailer was at one point nearing the day the game was supposed to be launched. They intended for the game to be released looking like that and then downgraded it heavily , for parity. We know that much as that's what was stated earlier this year when they said they wanted all versions to look the same. Before they wanted the PC version to be the spearhead by magnitudes but something went wrong I guess.

To address this properly they need simply tell us what happened to the 2014 gameplay video's visuals and or return them to the game, it's not a herculean task to be honest nor is it hard to patch in code they've already developed. Lens flares, blood splatters, an improved water shader, the more defined lighting system, Geralt's more detailed face, and the other things we saw were made and are sitting in CDPR's office collecting dust. I'm positive of this unless I'm missing something. In any case some of these effects can be hacked into the game by modders right now, CDPR can do it too a lot easier. I've already been able to get a working bokeh dof shader in and soon we'll be replacing textures.

I asked someone before if they even knew what was downgraded and I can ask that question to you too. What exactly are you thinking when you say it's super hard for CDPR to fix their own game? We all talk about a downgrade because there was one, an upgrade can happen and that's just logical.

:) Well my rig can just manage a steady 60fps @ 3440x1440. Any more graphical fidelity than what's on offer and my system will start to choke.

Well even just being close to Sword of Destiny - is going to require a much beefier system than even your 980 sli to run it in 4k. Would you want it to get to the point that 2 Titan Xs are required for 60 fps 1080p?

Honestly I have no idea what it would take, but the game is already very demanding. And fidelity affects everyone, low settings or not, its the engine itself that determines performance. Craving more is fine, but less than 1% are going to be able to enjoy it if CDProjekt were to follow the wishes of a vocal minority.

I already said , I'd play the game at 1080P/30FPS if I have to and lower something down.

I plan to upgrade in 2 years time anyways and it would be gloriously wonderful.

Just for arguments sake , SLI 980s still can't run Witcher 2 Ubersampled at 4k Ultra .

Its a goal , I'll run it eventually.

no the view distance is locked, you can only add view distance to shadow/foliage, the general view distance is fixed and cant be changed, you can notice the limit by the blue fog , wich is very close , i can show you how modded the view distance look vs the 35mn gameplay, its pretty big
That's what I said yeah. "A lot of" it can be adjusted, sucks about the buildings for now but I'm sure we'll be able to remove the general rendering limitations with mods or official tools.

That's what I said yeah. "A lot of" it can be adjusted, sucks about the buildings for now but I'm sure we'll be able to remove the general rendering limitations with mods or official tools.

I'm pretty sure the View distance is nerfed by the heavy Aerial fog.

---------- Updated at 04:19 PM ----------

I remember playing the Witcher 2 at 720P low and now I play it at 4K Ultra 60FPS.

Everyone will experience it eventually , just like Crysis.

I'm not sure if I should repeat myself for the 20th time or let you read the previous post. We are not 'outraged'.

We want the game to look better , most of us think the game looks fine, great at times and terrible at its worst due to some weird janky low resolution textures here and there and lighting that doesn't work correctly at times.

Does it look like the Sword of Destiny? Nope. Would it benefit the game if it looked better . Yes.

If you feel graphics are unimportant , you are entitled to have that opinion. But you are in a thread called Witcher 3 Graphics , the title suggest the people posting feel that Graphics are important enough that it adds to a game. If you want to hear me praise the game go read my previous post.

Just that.

@Witcherman

I know what footage you meant.

And yes, I have eyes, I know what was downgraded. I'm not disputing that it happened.

And as for how hard it will be for them -

1. You, nor I know what state the game was in when they showed off that footage. Hell, as far as either of us know that might have been footage that was upgraded. :p
2. Right now it appears that CDPR are deep into patching. 3 already for pc with ones due to console versions. However little work you expect it to be to just 'return them to the game' by your own points the game was delayed and during that time it was downgraded, perhaps the same amount of time would be required to upgrade, not including the time being spent on patching first.

Since we're talking about logic - why would they upgrade or return the original visuals? Just how many people is that going to suit? It will suit you and how many others?

Again, it will suit a vocal minority.

@Witcherman

I know what footage you meant.

And yes, I have eyes, I know what was downgraded. I'm not disputing that it happened.

And as for how hard it will be for them -

1. You, nor I know what state the game was in when they showed off that footage. Hell, as far as either of us know that might have been footage that was upgraded. :p
2. Right now it appears that CDPR are deep into patching. 3 already for pc with ones due to console versions. However little work you expect it to be to just 'return them to the game' by your own points the game was delayed and during that time it was downgraded, perhaps the same amount of time would be required to upgrade, not including the time being spent on patching first.

Since we're talking about logic - why would they upgrade or return the original visuals? Just how many people is that going to suit? It will suit you and how many others?

Again, it will suit a vocal minority.

It will suit everyone in the whole wide world that owns the Witcher 3 and those that still want to buy it.
There is not a single soul that would not enjoy better graphics.

It will suit everyone in the whole wide world that owns the Witcher 3 and those that still want to buy it.
There is not a single soul that would not enjoy better graphics.

Ah, if only better graphics were that simple. There is always a price to better graphics - and it's always the ones at the bottom, the ones who don't manage the minimum requirements that pay the price.

If that's what the game requires then that's what it has to be. But the game is out, and the people who can pay for the price of admission have already done so. To ask for the bar to be raised is to exclude ones who are already playing it, enjoying it as best as they are able and are looking at this crusade for better graphics - and praying it never comes to pass.

I imagine.

Ah, if only better graphics were that simple. There is always a price to better graphics - and it's always the ones at the bottom, the ones who don't manage the minimum requirements that pay the price.

If that's what the game requires then that's what it has to be. But the game is out, and the people who can pay for the price of admission have already done so. To ask for the bar to be raised is to exclude ones who are already playing it, enjoying it as best as they are able and are looking at this crusade for better graphics - and praying it never comes to pass.

I imagine.

I really don't get why you are complaining about a Ultra Setting that looks good but takes performance and doesn't affect the medium settings.

In Skyrim , you have activate the most demanding ENBs and HD Textures + Water effects . Its completely optional and makes the game look amazing compared to vanilla provided you have the hardware. If you want to play the base game at vanilla you are welcome and will still get good performance.

Like many of us have stated , if and when they release a patch that will have higher settings than the current ultra , the average user will still play at his medium-high and have the same performance.

I really don't get why you are complaining about a Ultra Setting that looks good but takes performance and doesn't affect the medium settings.

In Skyrim , you have activate the most demanding ENBs and HD Textures + Water effects . Its completely optional and makes the game look amazing compared to vanilla provided you have the hardware. If you want to play the base game at vanilla you are welcome and will still get good performance.

Like many of us have stated , if and when they release a patch that will have higher settings than the current ultra , the average user will still play at his medium-high and have the same performance.

A higher quality ultra preset is nothing like adding hd textures and post-processing mods. And also those are voluntary add ons, not something Bethesda was asked to include in the base game. Judging by some of the demands for the witcher 3, we're talking particles, lighting, modeling etc - all of which directly effect the engine itself and raises the bar for minimum requirement.

I've had another post deleted, I'm appalled at this censorship. What a waste of time.

It's not what you said it was how you said it?

Last edited:
A higher quality ultra preset is nothing like adding hd textures and post-processing mods. And also those are voluntary add ons, not something Bethesda was asked to include in the base game. Judging by some of the demands for the witcher 3, we're talking particles, lighting, modeling etc - all of which directly effect the engine itself and raises the bar for minimum requirement.

Still doesn't explain why in god's name you would be so against it.

Still doesn't explain why in god's name you would be so against it.

So because I have an awesome rig I can't see both sides of the argument? Or I'm somehow betraying my brothers in arms by trying to bring some love for the little guy?

I have no idea , you'd think someone who thinks the game needs no visual improvement would be playing the game , by the way I was playing the game and not paying attention to this thread , Gwent mainly.

Lol.

I'm actually waiting for my video to finish rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom