Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So because I have an awesome rig I can't see both sides of the argument? Or I'm somehow betraying my brothers in arms by trying to bring some love for the little guy?

You do realise that most of the 'little guys' are on Console , when Crysis 2 upgraded to Dx11 , Consoles didn't really have any benefit nor negative impact.

PC folks though benefitted immensely.

I have the PS4 Collector's Edition and the PC GoG version , its quite messed up to see the game side by side looking quite similar on Ultra.

Last edited:
You do realise that most of the 'little guys' are on Console , when Crysis 2 upgraded to Dx11 , Consoles didn't really have any benefit nor negative impact.

PC folks though benefitted immensely.

I have the PS4 Collector's Edition and the PC GoG version , its quite messed up to see the game side by side looking quite similar on Ultra.

There are still a lot of little guys who have a laptop, or a middling gpu they bought 2 years ago and can't afford a new one. Look at the poor dudes who bought a 780 and the framerate they're getting for what was a top of the line gpu not so long ago.

I'm not sure if I should repeat myself for the 20th time or let you read the previous post. We are not 'outraged'.

We want the game to look better , most of us think the game looks fine, great at times and terrible at its worst due to some weird janky low resolution textures here and there and lighting that doesn't work correctly at times.

Does it look like the Sword of Destiny? Nope. Would it benefit the game if it looked better . Yes.

If you feel graphics are unimportant , you are entitled to have that opinion. But you are in a thread called Witcher 3 Graphics , the title suggest the people posting feel that Graphics are important enough that it adds to a game. If you want to hear me praise the game go read my previous post.

You might not be enraged, but I've seen some very angry emotionally-loaded posts on this forum about TW3 graphics, some quite toxic even (but most of those got deleted by our moderators).

But it's good that you have a realistic and reasonable perspective on this. Kudos for that.

There are still a lot of little guys who have a laptop, or a middling gpu they bought 2 years ago and can't afford a new one. Look at the poor dudes who bought a 780 and the framerate they're getting for what was a top of the line gpu not so long ago.

Nvidia admitted they screwed up Kepler GPU Drivers , people who used old drivers on their Kepler GPUs are doing better in terms of performance.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-working-driver-updates-address-kepler-issues-witcher-3/

Do you seriously think a 960 outperforming the 780Ti makes sense when the 780Ti can compete with the 980 on most games. Please do some research before commenting on the topic.

It is Optional , http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/download-the-crysis-2-directx-11-ultra-upgrade

ABOVE is the Optional Upgrade for Crysis 2 , a game that was released to have Console parity on Dx9 , OPTIONAL update above and Improves the game if you have the hardware .

---------- Updated at 05:43 PM ----------

You might not be enraged, but I've seen some very angry emotionally-loaded posts on this forum about TW3 graphics, some quite toxic even (but most of those got deleted by our moderators).

But it's good that you have a realistic and reasonable perspective on this. Kudos for that.

I want to make this as Civil as possible for the simple reason I still think CD Projekt has delivered a great game in terms of story etc. I am having tons of fun with the game , thats just doing sidequest and gwent , I am slowly playing the main quest.

It just kills me everytime I watch the Sword of Destiny trailer and think of what could have been.

@TheokolesOfRome
I'll try to reformat this.

They downgraded the game to suit themselves while telling us the fans, who they've claimed to be making the games for, that it would look as it did before(http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32644-Obvious-Downgrade?p=1525774&viewfull=1#post1525774). It would suit everyone who bought the game(at least on PC) to have it shining bright like it was intended to. It's not about me or any kind of a minority, it's about integrity first off and eye-candy secondly. Where do you even get the vocal minority figure from? The downgrade thread from earlier this year appeared to me to be the most popular thread on these forums.

It's not even like most of the things that were downgraded even have a performance hit on PC. Lens effects and textures have the most minuscule hits even when they are hacked into video games. I'm pretty sure I explained well enough what stage they were at in development when they showed those videos.

Also it was illogical to remove them, since you brought that up. We could get into conspiracy as to why they removed them but that's dumb, saying it was okay because of "logic" is silly as well. Hope that made sense.

Last edited:
@TheokolesOfRome
I'll try to reformat this.

They downgraded the game to suit themselves while telling us the fans, who they've claimed to be making the games for, that it would look as it did before(http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32644-Obvious-Downgrade?p=1525774&viewfull=1#post1525774). It would suit everyone who bought the game(at least on PC) to have it shining bright like it was intended to. It's not about me or any kind of a minority, it's about integrity first off and eye-candy secondly. Where do you even get the vocal minority figure from? The downgrade thread from earlier this year appeared to me to be the most popular thread on these forums.

It's not even like most of the things that were downgraded even have a performance hit on PC. Lens effects and textures have the most minuscule hits even when they are hacked into video games. I'm pretty sure I explained well enough what stage they were at in development when they showed those videos, it's kind of naive to think contrary to what I said.

Also it was illogical to remove them, since you brought that up. We could get into conspiracy as to why they removed them but that's dumb, saying it was okay because of "logic" is silly as well. Hope that made sense.

OMG you found the post I was looking for , I remember reading this post ages ago , honestly I hope that he can keep his word and bring us the Sword of Destiny Visuals.

It just kills me everytime I watch the Sword of Destiny trailer and think of what could have been.

But that's the thing, you say "what could have been" and I have to ask; could it indeed really have been that way? CDPR must have downgraded the graphics for a reason, quite possible because the original graphical standard from the Sword of Destiny trailer couldn't be realized for the entire game.

I mean what else could it be? It's not like CDPR downgraded just to troll us. Think about it.

After playing for a while I can confidently say the biggest graphical problem is the flat looking foliage. It's a massive downgrade from W2. If not for that I think the game would look great in spite of the other downgrades.

Oh right, also the stationary skyboxes. The clouds don't move despite the wind blowing. What's up with that? Really sticks out.

Last edited:
Is there a reason, why the rocks in the game all look bad?

Now on Skellige it is really obvious, how all of the rocks look worst than the rest of the environment. Most have textures, that are only somewhat low res but some rocks are alright bugs it seems. Really, really ugly all around, like they are at least on resolution setting lower, than the rest of the game. o_O

Just compare the ground texture on the left, with the textures on the rocks:

http://abload.de/image.php?img=witcher3_2015_05_26_1dpkfo.jpg

Last edited:

Now on Skellige it is really obvious, how all of the rocks look worst than the rest of the environment. Most have textures, that are only somewhat low res but some rocks are alright bugges it seems. Really, really ugly all around, like they are at least on resolution setting lower, than the rest of the game. o_O

Can you make a screenshot? The rocks in my game look good. I'm not in Skellige yet but I can make some screenshots of what the rocks look like in Velen on my rig.

OMG you found the post I was looking for , I remember reading this post ages ago , honestly I hope that he can keep his word and bring us the Sword of Destiny Visuals.
There was another red post claiming the textures from the 2014 video weren't downgraded too but I haven't been able to find it, many news outlets covered the post though.

But that's the thing, you say "what could have been" and I have to ask; could it indeed really have been that way? CDPR must have downgraded the graphics for a reason, quite possible because the original graphical standard from the Sword of Destiny trailer couldn't be realized for the entire game.

I mean what else could it be? It's not like CDPR downgraded just to troll us. Think about it.
The reason was parity, just like Watch_Dogs and Dark Souls II.

After playing for a while I can confidently say the biggest graphical problem is the flat looking foliage. It's a massive downgrade from W2. If not for that I think the game would look great in spite of the other downgrades.

Oh right, also the stationary skyboxes. The clouds don't move despite the wind blowing. What's up with that? Really sticks out.

I really like the foliage but the lighting(especially interior) and weather effects look really lame to me.

Now on Skellige it is really obvious, how all of the rocks look worst than the rest of the environment. Most have textures, that are only somewhat low res but some rocks are alright bugges it seems. Really, really ugly all around, like they are at least on resolution setting lower, than the rest of the game. o_O

Yep this game needs a HD Texture overhaul.

There was another red post claiming the textures from the 2014 video weren't downgraded too but I haven't been able to find it, many news outlets covered the post though.

The reason was parity, just like Watch_Dogs and Dark Souls II.

I really like the foliage but the lighting(especially interior) and weather effects look really lame to me.

TL DR , Everything in The Sword of Destiny Trailer looks better than the base game.

Its quite sad but every single shot from the trailer looks better than what I'm playing at 4k Ultra.

---------- Updated at 06:00 PM ----------

Could you elaborate on that?

Make the game look similar on Consoles and PC so Console people will be happy. Mainly because consoles don't have the power to run the game with all the bells and whistles and are struggling to hit 30FPS.

There is a reason I can turn on my PS4 and PC , run the game at Ultra on my PC and see only minute differences between the two.

This is not console hating , I own a PS4 and Use its controller to play Witcher 3 on PC , I plan to pick up Uncharted 4 , but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Can you make a screenshot? The rocks in my game look good. I'm not in Skellige yet but I can make some screenshots of what the rocks look like in Velen on my rig.

Added a screenshot.

There is also a horrible looking area north of Novigrad:

http://abload.de/image.php?img=witcher3_2015_05_25_14bbuu.jpg

http://abload.de/image.php?img=witcher3_2015_05_25_1phusi.jpg

And of course all the bad texture positioning IN Novigrad:

http://abload.de/image.php?img=witcher3_2015_05_25_1pesor.jpg

http://abload.de/image.php?img=witcher3_2015_05_25_18tsul.jpg

(look at his feet)

Texture setting is on Ultra of course.

So all the people that want the 2013/14 look back: How about we fix the stuff, that is in the game, before we ADD stuff?

Added a screenshot.

There is also a horrible looking area north of Novigrad:

http://abload.de/image.php?img=witcher3_2015_05_25_14bbuu.jpg

http://abload.de/image.php?img=witcher3_2015_05_25_1phusi.jpg

And of course all the bad texture positioning IN Novigrad:

http://abload.de/image.php?img=witcher3_2015_05_25_1pesor.jpg

http://abload.de/image.php?img=witcher3_2015_05_25_18tsul.jpg

(look at his feet)

Texture setting is on Ultra of course.

So all the people that want the 2013/14 look back: How about we fix the stuff, that is in the game, before we ADD stuff?

Read my previous post , we need a UHD Texture/meshes pack , lighting tweaks, soft particles.

Those textures are abysmal.

The way to fix this is to add stuff you can't magically make textures look better , those are very low resolution bad textures that needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
Read my previous post , we need a UHD Texture/meshes pack , lighting tweaks, soft particles.

Those textures are abysmal.

The way to fix this is to add stuff you can't magically make textures look better , those are very low resolution bad textures that needs to be replaced.

I'm all for it, but that will take months or longer. Those glitches should have been fixed before release. Specially the hovering textures in Novigrad are REALLY obvious and in an area where you are running around constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom