[Mega SPOILERS] Immersion Destroyer.

+
That feeling of loss is the postpartum depression that comes with finishing a good game. There is nothing left to see or do, everything is done and resolved. The ride is over.

That feeling of loss is the postpartum depression that comes with finishing a good game. There is nothing left to see or do, everything is done and resolved. The ride is over.
only the storyline is over, think about peoples that first wanted to complete the story and then do the side quests and etc..
and then the end of the storyline makes you feel depress and then you don't want to continue playing, so you didn't really done everything...
i think they should have done everything so when you finish the game you will finish it with a smile.

Originally Posted by Cipher-Six
only the storyline is over, think about peoples that first wanted to complete the story and then do the side quests and etc..
and then the end of the storyline makes you feel depress and then you don't want to continue playing, so you didn't really done everything...
i think they should have done everything so when you finish the game you will finish it with a smile.

I agree with @TheGhosTz here, even if you end the game feeling good about your ending the fact that you are put in this empty world is really dissatisfying and demoralizing, had they kept the characters in or had a just after post game state I know I would have felt way more happy with the end of the game then I did, I was left with a sour taste in my mouth, after experiencing sweet sugary goodness all game...

I can honestly say that, yes, it's a big request to ask for more dialogue and more impact with characters and world depending on your decisions but I feel as it can be possibly done. What the majority in this sub-forum are asking for is more interaction with the characters you're working with and to allow us to see the characters after ending. Even if it was set back to before the end after completing the game, wouldn't it make sense to see them then? At the moment, we only have 2 of the 16 DLC that is supposed to be free. Hopefully in one of those they'll give us the ability to have more interaction and involvement with all characters such as arguments. For example you chose Triss instead of Yen, one possible scene can be Yen kind of upset/sad and if you ask her what's wrong she can say that she doesn't want you to leave her. Much like in Far Cry 3, where you tell your girlfriend that you're staying on the island and starts crying. Impacts and interactions like that can really improve the game. Recording these additional yet short/simple dialogues wouldn't be asking for much. Adding the characters after the end with these types of dialogues wouldn't be too much work. The only real problem I see would be the world impact with the ending you got but then again we wouldn't need to change the world. We could just have a home with your Triss/Yen and these extra dialogue options and the characters still be seen after the end and everyone would be satisfied.

Last edited:
I agree with you on that i did all 3 hopeing to find or get a chance at the happily ever after but i found no one :/, with that being said i think they should do and xpac and give us those characters back and let us have the happy endings we all wanted.

Same issue for me, I am sad/depressed after finishing the game. Didn't get Triss after all, thought I could somehow decide in the end who I'd pick (because I was seriously not sure at the time what to say, with Yen after the Djinn thing). World feels empty, not knowing where all the characters are (apart from Dandelion who is still in his tavern).

Only good thing about that is, even if I had Triss or Yennefer as my girl, I'd still not be able to visit or talk to them. Seems like even if you ended up with one of them, you find yourself alone in the castle, with no clue of their whereabouts.

But as Cipher-Six above mentioned, even though the ending is not perfectly done, the feeling of emptiness and depression might just come from finishing a good game.

Absolutely loved the game all in all =)

too me the ending felt like watching your favorite sports team blow it on the final play. I was comparing this game to DA:I and too me had it beat all the way till the end, then DA:I blows it out the water

Bringing about a "close" to an open world game is really hard to do. I can't necessarily think of anyone that has ever gotten it perfect. But I had high hopes for the Witcher 3 - because of the love given to even the smallest side quest. I've not finished the main quest, and I'm not really in any massive rush to do so. I am, however, surprised that the game fails to make world changes at the end of the main quest... considering that even side quests change the world around you.

Take "Now or Never" arc. At the party you meet a mage that had a thing for Triss. Upon returning to the city, he's on the pyre, calling out Geralt as a killer. The next time you pass by, he's dead and the pyre is still there. It's a "nice" touch. The problem with the main quest line ending is that it's "cosmic" in scale. An ending world state is more than an added or subtracted pyre. It's all the soldiers gone from either north or south of the Pontar, all the banners, and so on. It's doable from an artistic standpoint - although likely a lot of work. What it would do, however, is more than likely cause some quests to fail that were dependent on characters being in a certain time and place. *That said* I can't think of many quests that have anything to do with soldiers north or south... and the common people wouldn't likely change no matter who "won" in the end.

And all that said... I'm on your guy's side. The main characters - where it makes sense - should remain in the world. For the price of voice actors... give 'em a few lines of dialogue. I'll talk Zoltan saying "Geralt?" on repeat ad nauseum over major characters just... being gone.

To be fair, the problem is that people want post-ending content, but the message when you finish the game specifically tells you that you are in a pre-ending version of the game world. Except, without main characters around. Truthfully, I don't know if it would be much consolation if the NPCs were still around in their pre-ending states, because you would still just exhaust their old dialog options very quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a mod that can put Triss/Yen/Ciri at Dandelion's brothel. I doubt they will have any new content, but its at least something. As for post-ending content, I don't expect to see it from CDPR. I am expecting even the expansion packs will take place before the end of TW3.

It not impossible it's a game and they are the devs they could add them back with new content but we need to get more people on this because that would cost time and money so if there enough people who want it i might happen

+Skyrim is an perfect example the expansion packs took place after the main story and the expansion packs wher really big they add more characters and new quests i mean really meny quests and also a new island

and also Destiny they makes you buy dlc to get the full main story..

Last edited:
Oh thank you. I think we all think about the same way it completly ruins the game at the end :( and i think we all agree it would have been easly possible to do it right.

---------- Updated at 08:37 PM ----------

To be fair what did you expect CDPR to do add a hole end game with more quests similar to red dead redemption actually that would have been cool.
I think we all expected the world being in the state we decided it to be ... in my case: ciri witcher, nilfgaard won but temeria is free and no more with hunts etc. but the game is set in the pre final quest state.
The perfect end game would have been that geralt gets an house at the end form radovid / emhir / dijkstra in some city and sometimes you can found there mainnpcs like yen showing there up. Then if ciri becomes empores u hear nilfgaardians talking about her or if she gets witcher u can do with her 1 or 2 quest and THE MOST important thing u can talk with her ... same goes with all the other npcs ... cdp they just need to be there it feels so bad when u finished the game and u realise that nothing changed and the world is now without the strong charakters :( :( :(

Oh thank you. I think we all think about the same way it completly ruins the game at the end :( and i think we all agree it would have been easly possible to do it right.

---------- Updated at 08:37 PM ----------

I think we all expected the world being in the state we decided it to be ... in my case: ciri witcher, nilfgaard won but temeria is free and no more with hunts etc. but the game is set in the pre final quest state.
The perfect end game would have been that geralt gets an house at the end form radovid / emhir / dijkstra in some city and sometimes you can found there mainnpcs like yen showing there up. Then if ciri becomes empores u hear nilfgaardians talking about her or if she gets witcher u can do with her 1 or 2 quest and THE MOST important thing u can talk with her ... same goes with all the other npcs ... cdp they just need to be there it feels so bad when u finished the game and u realise that nothing changed and the world is now without the strong charakters :( :( :(

This. I know the endgame isn't the main purpose of the game, but man does it leave a bad taste in the mouth.

[SPOILERS] I agree 100%, I finished the game last night after playing it dauntlessly the past few days and I was very excited for the ending as I thought that I was going to be able to move into a home with Triss after romancing her and that I would be able to explore with Ciri and go on many adventures with her and Yennefer. I was deeply dissapointed and left with an empty void in my heart when the credits were done rolling and I discovered that neither Triss, Ciri, nor Yennefer were anywhere in Temeria. It is as if they died and Geralt is all alone. It really makes me not want to continue playing the side quests in the game as the world now feels so empty without all of the major characters that aided Geralt on his adventure and made the game so immersing and invigorating. I truly hope that an expansion is brought that brings back these characters, especially Triss, Ciri, and Yennefer. The game is not the same without them, and I cannot find enough desire in myself to continue completing the game without these characters' comfort and familiarity. Please do something CDPR.

[SPOILERS] I agree 100%, I finished the game last night after playing it dauntlessly the past few days and I was very excited for the ending as I thought that I was going to be able to move into a home with Triss after romancing her and that I would be able to explore with Ciri and go on many adventures with her and Yennefer. I was deeply dissapointed and left with an empty void in my heart when the credits were done rolling and I discovered that neither Triss, Ciri, nor Yennefer were anywhere in Temeria. It is as if they died and Geralt is all alone. It really makes me not want to continue playing the side quests in the game as the world now feels so empty without all of the major characters that aided Geralt on his adventure and made the game so immersing and invigorating. I truly hope that an expansion is brought that brings back these characters, especially Triss, Ciri, and Yennefer. The game is not the same without them, and I cannot find enough desire in myself to continue completing the game without these characters' comfort and familiarity. Please do something CDPR.

the word "finished" does not work with the scenario you described - going on adventures with Ciri and Yennefer is not a finished game

the game has to end at some point... that's why I think they shouldn't have added the option to play after the ending at all

Really great game! I just finished the main story after playing over 60 hours. But it feels very empty allthough there are still many quests left. Its because there is no opportunity to interact with the characters of the main story anymore.

I know its difficult to put them into the endgame, without breaking the lore. So after the credits showed up, it says that the game was set back before the actions of the final chapters.

Here is my idea to bring back the main characters without breaking the lore:

***Spoiler***

So you still spawn on Kaer Morthen. Let all the characters, who faught on Kaer Morthen against the wild hunt have a meeting on Kaer Morthen in memory of vesemir, who died during this fight. There should be alot of food on tables, a music group and so on. You should be able to interact with all the characters, like by playing gwint or have a friendly sword/box fight with some guys, have sex with the lover you choosed, ect...

This would be more satisfying for the "after main storyline experience".

What do you think?

the game has to end at some point... that's why I think they shouldn't have added the option to play after the ending at all

This is basically the problem. Stories have a definitive end. The story of Geralt has ended. But open-world video games generally never have an "ending." GTA, Assassin's Creed, Infamous, Saints Row, they all let you keep playing after the end of the story. So the devs had to decide between ending the story and letting the game continue. I agree with you, maybe the devs should have just ended the game entirely. If the player wants to do sidequests, they have to do it before the final chapter.

I loved the game. Loved it. Best game ever, no kidding. This game is so full of win. It is a masterpiece.

But after I was in the keep and suddenly I was alone (well other than some Wild Hunt warriors standing there unattackable just outside after failing to despawn it seems, haha... that was a bit of a surprise) and Novigrad was still in the state it was in prior to the final quest (there were still Witch Hunters everywhere and some people outside even said "Long live Radovid!" (in fact he was dead)), I suddenly felt deflated, almost depressed in fact, and could not bring my self to keep going, which was a shame.

I might well do a full second play through at some point, but to be honest the game should END after the final quest rather than leave it in a sort of incomplete limbo state as it is.

Top Bottom