Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285

+
Honestly, I think im going to bite the bullet and buy a 290 or better yet a 970. Ive been relatively happy with AMD cards but honestly I think it would be faster for me just to bite the bullet and upgrade instead of waiting for a fix.

Hopefully CDPR does something about this because even though I feel as though this is more on AMD, I think it hurts them the most.

game crashes like crazy on Nvidia cards right now, either buy a used 290x cheap or wait for the 390x to come out and buy a 980 cheap

Attachments

• AMD-ROADMAP.png
    AMD-ROADMAP.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 75
Well its more like I was looking to buy a new card anyway but this is what pushed me over the edge in a way. To be honest its more about how recent games have just been sub par with amd systems like project cars and how amd's speed with drivers in general are slow compared to nvidia.

I do like my 285 though, I guess im just wanting an upgrade.
I just bit the bullet and got Gigabyte 970. Really, really disappointed that I turned out to be some sort of lab rat, owning that troublesome R9 285 with Tonga chip. Also didn't want to wait for a month or longer to have it maybe fixed by a new driver. I mean in Game of Thrones, 285's issue still isn't fixed, and it's been months. Card came bundled up with Batman and Witcher so that's cool too. Saved me some money and also made my friend happy.
Also, played for a couple of hours today and haven't gotten a single crash. Good luck to all 285 owners out there. Hopefully it'll be fixed sooner than later, cos the game is worth it.

Guys I got reply from CDPR support and they told me that issue is caused from outdated drivers of AMD card. And the solutions i up to AMD.

Finally we know. We'll wait for new driver from AMD.

Guys I got reply from CDPR support and they told me that issue is caused from outdated drivers of AMD card. And the solutions i up to AMD.

Then howcome other AMD cards aren't experiencing this same problem? And where did you contact them?

We know is amd problem, i managed to get "AMD Driver stop working" one time. The driver crash for some reason. Im with that omega shit driver from 09/12/2014, five months and nothing new.

Last edited:
Went into AMD Overdrive, underclocked both fields in the performance tab (Power Settings/GPU Clock), Used a custom fan speed at 80%. Have not had a single crash in the last four hours, the card is a little loud but throw on some headphones. Have fought four mobs at a time, done countless side quests stopping at the bandit camps and haven't skipped a beat.

We know is amd problem, i managed to get "AMD Driver stop working" one time. The driver crash for some reason. Im with that omega shit driver from 09/12/2014, five months and nothing new.

What about the GTA V 15.4 driver? [ Which incidentally, doesn't make a difference to this problem ]

Went into AMD Overdrive, underclocked both fields in the performance tab (Power Settings/GPU Clock), Used a custom fan speed at 80%. Have not had a single crash in the last four hours, the card is a little loud but throw on some headphones. Have fought four mobs at a time, done countless side quests stopping at the bandit camps and haven't skipped a beat.
Same here. Underclocked my card to 900 mhz and managed to get through a lengthy fight, that was giving me a pause before, without a hitch. Did not change the fan speed though. Crappy solution, but it'll have to do for the time being.

Last edited:
Same here. Underclocked my card to 900 mhz and managed to get through a lenghty fight, that was giving me a pause before, without a hitch. Did not change the fan speed though.

I just adjusted the fan speed to keep the card cool, it's rather hot this summer and I love when my components don't hit over 50c :cool:

For what it's worth, since going Griffin spec and using casting as my primary DPS I haven't had one combat crash in several days. I've made more progress in that time than I had done up to then. I was planning on being a "warrior mage" style character before anyway, but the combat crashes with the swords as primary solidified my decision. I still use the swords, just not nearly as much, and very occasionally I'll get a micro-second freeze during one or two of the sword animations, but I haven't had a full combat crash since Sunday night. Weird.

The game is very playable for me right now. I'm not forgiving it, and I still want a fix very much because I'd like to feel like I have more options. However, from what some of my gaming friends have experienced with other cards with their bugs and completely random crashes, I'm pretty happy right now. I still do a quicksave before entering fights just in case, but I'd take this over random crashing out of combat for no reason and losing 20 mins of progress for nothing.

I just adjusted the fan speed to keep the card cool, it's rather hot this summer and I love when my components don't hit over 50c :cool:
Mine is hitting 71c, seems in line with the test results that I've seen, so whatever. If I go over 60% fan speed it just becomes too loud for my tastes.

Well i tried those leaked drivers and so far no crashes (didn't undercloack or anything) but i will update you if it does...

If that really is their official line then I am incredibly disappointed. When there are no other drivers available (running 15,.4 beta) how can they be outdated? A really poor response and not one I expected from a company like Project Red to be brutally honest.

Top Bottom